Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

Panama Canal Transit 2008

08 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia
Voahangy
While I put the finishing touch to our 2014 Panama Canal transit story, I thought I would entertain you with a story from the vault. Below is the account of our last transit in 2008. Back in these days, we didn’t have a blog and all news were emailed by way of a newsletter or log entry such as this one. Consequently, some of you may have been the recipients of such emails and already know the story. For others, treat this as a preview of what we went thru a month ago. Next will be the update on our 2014 transit. Stay tuned…


Panama, Colon
June 11-June 18, 2008


First of all, I must say that we considered Panama purely as a “utilitarian” stop. We were only interested in crossing the Canal to reach the Pacific Ocean, thus saving ourselves 8,000nm of sailing around the tip of South America.

Back in March, we had heard and read about a tedious bureaucratic paper chase to be endured in crime ridden surroundings both in Colon and Balboa, as preliminaries to the Canal transit. Add to that, latest reports of lengthy delays and we were on the internet, looking for options. I remember thinking “There has to be an easy way of doing this!”. Browsing on Noonsite, we found positive feedback on a transit agent called Enrique Plummer. It only took one email from us, stating skipper and boat details, desired time of transit, and we were “in the system”. We would not hear from him until early May.
By then, we had arrived in Trinidad, and horror stories abounded about extended delays (up to 10 weeks now!), one French crew even deciding to truck their boat (an Ovni) across the Panama isthmus!!! One call to Enrique allayed our fears a little, when he assured us that “boats were being pushed thru at a rate of 20 each day” and by the time we got there all would be clear. Being the cynics we had become, we only half believed him and could not wait to arrive in Panama, bracing ourselves for another boat drama.
Well, we should have more faith in people (as my mother tells me), as everything worked out without a hitch. Isn’t it nice when things work?

Here’s a detailed account of our transit. Our experience may be useful for some of you, planning your own Canal transit. For the rest of you, treat it as one of our most enjoyable passage.

We arrived in Colon Harbour late evening, the approach to the Flats anchorage was straight forward in the dark, and as soon as we dropped the anchor it was off to sleep.
The next day, Javier, the admeasurer, showed up in the morning, measured the boat and within 30mn the paperwork was done, transit organized for Tuesday June 17 (in 5 days), and we were free to go and complete the rest of the entry formalities. Terry could not help but smile at the thought that we were 3 days ahead of schedule!
We headed for Shelter Bay marina, where Enrique had booked a berth on our behalf, and which was home away from home for dozens of other boats either waiting for their transit, having just completed it, or simply sitting out the hurricane season. As usual, Marc and Anne found friends to play with (a whole bunch of Canadians this time!), I hooked onto the internet connection and Terry found the best spot in the bar ( he also spent a lot of time fixing bit and pieces on board I must say). Big bonus, when checking in, the office offered to do our clearance in for us. Yes, pleaaaaaase! Since the marina is at least a 30mn taxi ride to Colon, and we didn’t know where the various offices were, not even mentioning our bad Spanish, $20 per office, seemed to us a small price to pay for peace of mind.
We met Enrique for the first time the day before the transit, when he asked us if WE were still on for June 17. Absolutely! Down to business it was.
First, the costs. The Canal toll was $910, based on the boat length (they added our bowsprit and included the swimming platform). The agent’s fee was $500, also based on boat’s length as taken by the admeasurer. For that fee, the agent registers the boat with the Canal authority and pays the toll on your behalf, organizes the four compulsory ¾” 125ft lines ( $25 per lines), arranges for line handlers if your boat does not have enough crew to man these 4 lines ($65 per person per day), and can also look after the boat’s exit papers ($240 for various government charges, immigration, customs,..) So for about $2300, it was all organized, with nothing required from us but drive the boat and take photos.
While we’re on costs, I have to mention that the record toll was $300,000 for a large cruise ship this year. Apparently during the peak period, in March, big ships were arriving at a rate of 55 per day. Since commercial traffic is a priority for the Canal, small crafts (that’s what they call us, yachties) were pushed at the back of the queue. Even the big ships have to go thru a bid system, at busy times, where the higher the bid the sooner they get thru. According to Enrique, in other years bids went as high as $250,000, but this year being exceptionally busy, the record bid was $500,000. Can you imagine fronting up at the cashier with $800,000 in cash????

The transit was actually done over 2 days. The line handlers, Alphonso, Carlos, Winston and Alberto, joined the boat at the marina (with the lines) late afternoon, we made it back to the Flats where our first advisor, Edmund, boarded us. The Canal authority assigns each boat with an advisor (or a licensed pilot if the boat is over 20m long, or you’re prepared to pay over $2000 for the privilege). Advisors are people specially trained to take small crafts thru the Canal; they actually have jobs within the Canal authority (one was a security officer, the other a traffic controller), and work on their days off. They are required to hold a University degree and speak fluent English.
Gatun lock, the first of the 3 locks, was negotiated at night. It took 4 hours to climb the 86ft thru three chambers. We entered the chambers with a big ship ahead of us, Baltic Wave, a tug to tie up to on our port side and a small monohull Nine of Cups, rafted on our starboard side. We had agreed earlier on that, being the biggest boat, we would do the maneuvering (piece of cake for them!!) We were prepared for strong turbulences, both from water rushing in the locks, and from the wash from Baltic Wave, but we hardly felt a thing. We were later told that being a bigger boat and a catamaran as well, makes for a smoother transit. The most action we witnessed, was from the line handlers on the wharf, who “walked” our boats along the locks, running uphill to the next level.
Once out of Gatun lock, we moored inside the lake for the night, and dropped off Edmund. The line handlers were to stay on board. After the excitement of the evening, it took us a while to unwind, and we shared drinks, looking forward to an even easier second part of the transit.

Everyone was bright and early the next day, Reinhart, our second advisor joined us at 7am, and we were off immediately to cruise the 31nm to Pedro Miguel lock. As for the Amazon RIDS, there is a minimum engine speed required, 5 knots though here. You will be asked for YOUR boat cruising speed and your transit scheduled accordingly. In our case, it took us 3 ½ hours to cross the lake but we had to wait another hour at the lock, due to traffic coming the other way (the big boats will ALWAYS come first!).
The passage down hill, thru Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks was less impressive, without the gush of water we had experienced on the way up, no big ship or tug to tie up to, just us and Nine of Cups in these large chambers. The chambers are 1000ft long (about 300mts), 110ft wide (about 30mts), and 40ft deep (less than 12mts). Now remember, we are in the low season, plenty of space to spare. Imagine, in the peak season, there’s been up to 20 yachts in these chambers! I could only imagine the trepidation of the crews.

Terry and Marc had been comparing the whole event, as “watching paint dry”, but as we left Miraflores Lake thru the last set of chambers, we passed the viewing tower, full of visitors waving us by, some cheering, and I was hoping that the Canal webcam was capturing us. Well, it’s not everyday, one transits thru such a wonder of technology, and passes thru 2 continents and from one ocean to the next!
And just as we padded ourselves on the back for a smooth transit and Reinhart was getting ready to jump on the Canal boat, the sky opened its own set of gates, and we were treated to a huge tropical downpour. Alfonso, took over as “pilote”, and guided us to the Balboa Yacht Club, where we tied up to their fuel dock. The rain was kind enough to stop in time for us to refuel, and let the 4 boys go. By then it was mid-afternoon, too late to reach the overnight anchorage as planned, so I enquired about the (what I knew to be remote) possibility of a mooring. After a few minutes of sweet smiles, and mention of Plummer (our agent), we were granted the use of a mooring for the night, overlooking the Bridge of the Americas. That’s where Enrique found us that evening, when he came to deliver our boat exit papers; we were now “set to go”!

I strongly believe that Enrique and his team played a big part in making the transit as smooth as it was, thus saving us time and aggravation. If there is one complaint to be made, even then it’s more a comment than anything else, it’s the amount of food the line handlers and the advisor eat. Part of the deal is that all these people have to be fed (as well as provided with water and toilet facilities), and the transit taking 2 days, I saw nearly a weeks’ worth of fresh food and soft drinks go down to sustain all the extra crew. No different to holding a party on the week end, Terry told me.

Of course, not everyone faces the same deadlines as us, nor has a budget allowing for extra crew. All the formalities can be dealt with without an agent, provided one has enough time to run around the various offices (Immigration, Port Captain, Agriculture), speaks Spanish well enough to understand all these people, and is willing to pay the Canal toll fee in cash (the agent takes credit cards!) If one already carries the required lines on board, there is no need to hire them. Should one need additional crew, to act as line handlers, the marina generally abounds with a fellow yachties volunteering to help, most wanting to experience their first canal passage on someone else’s boat (they will still need food and a bunk!).

So, what did we do with all this extra time on our hands? Mostly, relax, and doing final boat preparations. The marina organized daily bus trips into Colon as well as a shopping expedition into Panama City. We took advantage of the latter, which was an all day affair. The trip into town alone took 2 ½ hours and was a real eye opener, with a sleek looking city, but a run down country side (muddy, wet, rusty cars everywhere, not the advanced place they portray in the brochures). The shopping was OK, with local products at prices much cheaper than Europe or Australia. However, imported goods cost nearly the same as at home: $25 for a DVD, $49 for a Zara shirt, $40 for a kids pair of shoes,…compared to $0.50 for local beer, $16/kg for sirloin steaks, and $5 for a big bowl of soup at the marina restaurant.
On the Pacific side, we made the most of our extra time, and stopped in the Las Perlas Archipelago. These islands are scattered 38nm south of the Canal, and were a perfect antidote to the business of Panama City. They deserve more than the 2 nights we spent there, and certainly more than a couple of lines in this log!



Je dois avouer qu’au début on a considéré Panama uniquement comme une escale « utilitaire ». Notre seul but était de transiter le canal pour rejoindre l’océan Pacifique, nous économisant ainsi 8,000 miles nautiques de navigation contournant la pointe de l’Amérique du Sud.

Déjà au mois de Mars, on avait entendu et lu des comptes rendus peu engageants sur les démarches administratives à faire avant de transiter le Canal, le tout dans un environnement réputé peu sur, que ce soit a Colon ou Balboa. Ajoutez a cela, de longs délais rapportes, et nous nous sommes rues tout de suite sur internet, pour essayer de trouver une alternative plus raisonnable. En surfant sur Noonsite, on a trouve un article favorable sur un agent de transit, nomme Enrique Plummer. En un email de notre part, stipulant le nom du bateau et du skipper, ainsi que d’autres renseignements, nous étions dans le système. Ensuite, on n’entendit plus parler de lui jusqu'à début mai. A ce stade, on venait d’arriver à Trinidad et le ponton de la marina abondait d’horribles histoires de listes d’attentes (jusqu'à 10 semaines !), un équipage français ayant même pris la décision de passer par la route plutôt que d’attendre aussi longtemps. En un coup de fil, Enrique a tente de nous rassurer, en précisant que les délais étaient raccourcis en faisant passer 20 bateaux par jour et que tout serait rentres dans l’ordre d’ici notre arrivée. Bien sur les cyniques que nous sommes ne l’ont qu’a moitie cru et on était impatients d’arriver a Panama, pour juger de la situation nous-mêmes. Je m’attendais a découvrir un autre drame nautique.
Eh bien, non. Comme dit ma maman il suffit d’avoir la foi et faire confiance aux gens puisque tout s’est passe comme prévu. Comme c’est agréable quand tout marche !


Voila donc un compte rendu détaillé de notre transit. Qui sait, notre expérience pourrait être utile a ceux qui parmi vous prévoient de transiter le Canal prochainement. Pour les autres, c’est le récit d’un de nos plus agréables passages.


Nous sommes arrives dans la baie de Colon en fin de soirée, l’approche vers la zone de mouillage des “Flats” était assez simple même dans le noir, et une fois l’ancre crochée ce fut dodo immédiat.
Le lendemain matin, Javier, le mesureur, s’est pointe comme prévu ; il a mesure le bateau en 2 temps 3 mouvements, les papiers administratifs étaient faits en ½ heure, le transit organise pour le Mardi 17 juin (dans 5 jours) et nous étions libres de partir et accomplir le reste des formalités d’entrée dans le pays. Terry était complètement béat de surprise : on avait soudain pris 3 jours d’avance !!!
Nous nous sommes rendu a Shelter Bay Marina, ou Enrique nous avait réservé une place. La marina est une véritable résidence nautique, avec des douzaines de bateaux soit en attente de transiter le Canal, ou venant juste de le finir, ainsi qu’un certain contingent ayant élu d’y passer la saison des cyclones. Comme d’habitude, Marc et Anne se sont trouves des copains avec qui jouer (ce sont des canadiens cette fois ci), j’ai repéré l’internet illico, et Terry s’est octroyé le meilleur fauteuil au bar (il a aussi pas mal bricole sur le bateau !). Enorme bonus, en arrivant, le bureau de la marina nous a propose de faire la clearance de notre part. Oh oui, s’il vous plait !!! Vu que la marina est a 30mn en taxi de Colon, qu’on ne connaît pas la ville, et que notre espagnol est toujours aussi mauvais, les $20 par office que demandait la marina pour ce service nous ont semble dérisoire compares aux contrariétés potentielles.
Nous avons rencontres Enrique pour la première fois la veille de notre transit, lorsqu’il nous a demande de confirmer que nous serions bien prêts pour le 17 juin. Absolument ! Bon, alors, parlons argent.
Le péage pour le Canal a coute $910, base sur la longueur totale du bateau (y compris plage de bain, annexe, bout dehors…). Les frais d’agent étaient $500, aussi base sur la longueur du bateau, mesure par Javier. Pour ce tarif, l’agent inscrit le bateau auprès des autorités du Canal (ACP), et paye le péage pour nous, il organise la location de 4 amarres de 125 pieds de long et ¾’’ d’épaisseur chacunes ($25 l’amarre), s’arrange pour trouver des lines handlers (passeurs ?) si l’équipage est réduit (il est obligatoire d’avoir un équipier pour chaque amarre, soit $65 par personne par jour), et il peut aussi s’occuper des papiers de sortie du bateau ($240 pour frais divers, immigration, douanes,etc…). Bref, pour environ $2300, tout était organise, il ne nous restait qu’a conduire le bateau et prendre des photos.
En parlant de couts, je dois mentionner le péage record paye par un paquebot cette année : $300,000. Apparemment, pendant la haute saison en Mars, beaucoup de cargos sont arrives, jusqu’a 55 par jour. Comme le trafic commercial est prioritaire, les bateaux de plaisance ont du attendre leur tour…Pendant les périodes de pointe, les cargos doivent même se plier a un système d’appel d’offres quotidien, au cours duquel le plus offrant transite ce jour la. D’après Enrique, les années précédentes les offres s’élevaient à $250,000 maximum. Cette année, exceptionnellement chargée, l’offre record a été de $500,000. Imaginez payer $800,000 en liquide ????



Le transit s’est déroulé en 2 jours. Les line handlers, Alphonso, Carlos, Winston et Alberto se sont pointes a la marina, avec les amarres en fin d’après midi, nous sommes revenus au Flats pour récupérer notre premier conseiller, Edmund. L’ACP désigne un conseiller pour chaque bateau (si le bateau fait plus de 20 metres, ce sera automatiquement un pilote accrédité, a moins de payer $2000 supplémentaires pour le privilège). Ces conseillers sont des gens formes spécialement pour guider les bateaux de plaisance à travers le Canal. En fait, ils ont déjà un job dans l’ACP (l’un était agent de sécurité, le second contrôleur de trafic maritime), et travaillent en tant que conseiller pendant leurs jours de congé. Ils doivent aussi posséder un diplôme d’études supérieures et parler l’anglais couramment.
La première des 3 écluses, celle de Gatún, a été passée dans la soirée. On a mis 4 heures pour “monter” les 26 metres de dénivellation dans 3 chambres différentes. Il y avait un cargo devant nous « Baltic Wave », un remorqueur auquel s’attacher cote bâbord, et un monocoque a couple cote tribord, Nine of Cups. On s’est mis d’accord des le début pour être responsable des manœuvres, vu que nous étions le bateau le plus gros (les autres ont donc ete très pépères pendant tout leur transit). Je m’attendais a de très grosses turbulences, que ce soit venant de l’eau qui montait dans l’écluse ou des remous a l’arrière de Baltic Wave, mais on les a a peine sentis. En fait, on nous a dit que, le fait d’être un cata fait que les mouvements se font moins sentir (ce qu’on a déjà remarque en mer !). Les plus actifs de la soirée étaient les passeurs a quai, qui acheminaient nos bateaux le long des écluses.
Une fois sortis de l’écluse de Gatún, nous avons amarres dans le lac pour la nuit, et déposé Edmund. Les passeurs sont restes a bord pour la nuit (pour raison de sécurité, personne d’autre n’était autorise a terre).
Le lendemain, tout le monde s’est réveillé pleins d’entrain, notre second conseiller Reinhart nous a rejoints à 7h du matin, et nous sommes partis pour les 31 miles qui nous séparaient de l’écluse de Pedro Miguel. Comme pour le RIDS sur l’Amazone, il y avait une vitesse minimale à maintenir, ici 5 nm. Les autorités nous ont demande notre vitesse minimale de croisière, afin de prévoir l’emploi du temps. Dans notre cas, on a mis 3h1/2 pour traverser le lac, puis attendu 1h a l’écluse pour cause de trafic en sens inverse (les cargos ont TOUJOURS priorité).
La navigation entre Pedro Miguel et Miraflores était moins impressionnante, sans les turbulences, le cargo et le remorqueur, nous étions juste avec Nine of Cups dans ces énormes chambres. Les chambres font 300 metres de long, 30 metres de large et 12 metres de profondeur. Je rappelle que nous sommes en basse saison, donc on avait plein de place. En haute saison, ils ont cases jusqu'à 20 bateaux dans ces chambres, je n’ose imaginer le stress des équipages !
Terry et Marc se sont un peu ennuyés a la fin, trouvant le processus un peu lent, mais il faut dire qu’en quittant la dernière écluse a Miraflores, nous sommes passes devant la tour d’observation pleine de spectateurs nous applaudissant, et on espérait aussi que la webcam nous capture live. Ce n’est quand même pas souvent qu’on transite dans une de ces merveilles technologiques, et traverse 2 continents ! Et au moment ou on se félicitait d’un transit si facile, en déposant Reinhart, voila que le ciel a ouvert ses vannes et on a eu droit a un énorme déluge tropical. Alphonso a pris le relai en tant que pilote, nous guidant jusqu'à la station d’essence, au yacht Club de Balboa. La pluie a cesse juste a temps pour débarquer les quatre garçons, et prendre du gasoil, mais il était trop tard pour nous rendre au mouillage comme prévu. Alors je me suis présentée au yacht club en quémandant un corps mort, requête quasi inaccessible, mais avec mon plus beau sourire et mention de « Enrique », nous avons eu droit a une nuit de répit, sous le Pont des Amériques. C’est la que Enrique nous a trouve quand il est venu délivrer nos papiers de sortie du bateau, nous étions enfin prêts a partir !



Sans Enrique et son équipe, je pense que notre transit ne se serait pas aussi bien passe. S’il y a un problème à mentionner, et encore ce n’est qu’un commentaire, c’est la quantité de bouffe que nos passeurs ont consomme en 2 jours. Selon la règle du jeu, on doit nourrir tout l’équipage à bord (y compris boissons, un lit pour chacun et toilettes !). Le transit prenant 2 jours, j’ai vu disparaître presqu’une semaine de vivres pour nourrir tous ces hommes. Terry m’a réconforté en me rappelant qu’on consomme autant pour une fête un samedi soir !


Bien sur, tout le monde n’a pas les mêmes contraintes de temps, ni le budget nécessaire pour un équipage supplémentaire. Toutes ces formalités peuvent être effectuées soi mêmes sans agent, pourvu qu’on ait le temps de visiter les différents offices, qu’on parle espagnol couramment, et qu’on soit prêt à payer le péage du canal en cash (l’agent prend les cartes de crédit). Si on a les amarres nécessaires a bord, on n’a pas besoin de les louer. Pour les équipages réduits, la marina regorge de volontaires désirant faire un premier transit sur un bateau autre que le leurs, évitant ainsi d’employer des passeurs (il faut quand même les nourrir et les héberger pour la nuit).


Qu’avons-nous donc fait avec tout ce temps libre ? Préparé le bateau et nous reposer. La marina organisait des trajets quotidiens en bus à Colon, ainsi qu’une excursion shopping a Panama City. Nous sommes allés à Panama City, ce qui nous a pris toute la journée, 2h ½ de trajet, a travers une campagne bien abandonnée comparée a une capitale moderne. Le shopping était OK, sans plus : les produits locaux sont moins chers qu’en Europe ou Australie, mais tous les imports sont aux mêmes prix que chez nous.
Cote Pacifique, on en a profite pour faire escale a l’archipel de Las Perlas. Ces iles sont disséminées a 38 miles au sud du Canal, et ont ete le parfait antidote après le transit. Elles méritent certainement plus que les 2 nuits que nous y avons passe ainsi qu’un court paragraphe dans ce log. Affaire a suivre donc…..

Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011