Happy Morning: The Caribbean

All the Gear; No Idea...

23 January 2013
20 January 2013
18 January 2013
20 May 2012
19 May 2012 | Barbados Yacht Club
18 May 2012 | The Mount Gay Regatta - Barbados
15 May 2012 | Carlisle Bay - Barbados Cruising Club
14 May 2012 | Carlysle Bay, Bardados
11 May 2012 | St Lucia
10 May 2012 | Rodney Bay Marina
04 May 2012 | A dreary Maldon, UK
03 January 2011 | Rodney Bay
16 December 2010 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
11 December 2010

ARC 2010 - Day 22 - 13th December 2010

13 December 2010
Oh boy. The blog must seem very negative of late but right now we are having hell on earth. No wind whatsoever. The breeze was supposed to be 10-19kn through Sunday. Saturday was supposed to be the same, but in the event there was very little. We had a little Sunday morning but nothing in the afternoon. In fact, we had a brief squall Sunday am which resulted in a broach with Big White. We were lucky not to damage the rig or big White again. Pretty much from then Big White has just hung there and the main has been flogging back and forth in the swells. We are so near but so far. The rich get richer (in that those boats in are gaining from our misfortune). Of course we are thinking we are the only ones in this hole that seems to be following us all over but I was pleased and surprised we have held our own on Alpha Tau during most of it. Quite literally we are adrift in zero wind, getting burnt up under the relentless sun.

So, on to high spots. We are pleased the arrivals crew have been partying and have sussed things out in St Lucia. Onboard we (Jonesy) finally scooped the cheese from the fridge. It was foul, and had melted everywhere and contaminated pretty much all that was in the fridge. The boat now stinks of rotten cheese on top of everything else. Also, today was the day we decided to jettison the Cernao ham, which was done with much ceremony. Actually we decided to trawl it behind the boat, until we realised that if something did take it, it would be much bigger than anything we could deal with. So we set the ham on its merry way.

With today marking three weeks into the race, which is longer than estimiated, we are finally seeing the food stock come down. We still have plenty but the treats are running out. During battery charging today we had some music, which was nice but what we really really want is wind.

So, the weather over the past 3 days has blown our chances of getting in much before wednesday but never say never. We are all hoping the weather will treat us to a happy ending and let us finish in style.

Winds stayed horrible and light for most of the night before filling a little this morning. We tried every trick in the book to keep the old bus moving, and a few besides. Tiredness brings mistakes, and within a couple of minutes of taking the helm at 05:00 this morning the skipper had a monumental wrap in the kite. We were lucky to be able to retrieve it, eventually sorting it out. Good job the decklight got fixed. This morning we are making progress and hoping the wind will hold. Big White is pulling us down the track. 177nm to northern tip of St Lucia. Hopefully the wind will hold. And fill. We are due a bit of luck so fingers crossed.

Dave & Crew
Comments
Vessel Name: Happy Morning
Vessel Make/Model: Sigma 36FR
Hailing Port: MLSC Maldon & Marconi SC, Steeple, UK
Crew: Dave Onyons, Stuart Golding, Mike Duckmanton, Bill Sutters, Simon Onyons
About: A tip top racing team. Ok, I lied about that bit. Just a bunch of fat old farts but we can party with the best of 'em. Living proof that old age and cunning outdoes youth and exuberance (in the bar at least!).
Extra: Looking to have some fun while we still have our own teeth. We have the will to push ourselves that extra mile providing there's pie, chips, and a pint at the other end.
Happy Morning's Photos - Main
Mount Gay Rum - Round Barbados Race 2013
4 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Shots from the journey to the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers
61 Photos
Created 21 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
65 Photos
Created 15 September 2010
Ramsgate to Brighton
26 Photos
Created 15 September 2010