If you can dream it, you can do it!

09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023

Tribute to Robert

27 May 2017
A tribute to our friend, Robert Fellowes, (RIP) and his Cromarty 36 " Chookapa".
As we approached our berth, Andreas commented that a boat two berths further along looked very much like a boat that we had both sailed on and that had been owned by our dear friend Robert who passed away in 2015. I thought nothing more of it as we were in France and didn't think for one minute it would be "Chookapa" - besides the name on the dodgers was Colne Rose. The Skipper of the boat very kindly helped us with our lines as we berthed. Andreas went off to the marina office to register our arrival but stopped en route to chat with the Skipper of the boat he thought he knew and after a couple of " I don't suppose" questions it turned out it was "Chookapa", now re- named, and had been purchased by Jane and Adrian just before Robert died. She looked immaculate and was clearly very loved. Andreas explained to Adrian that we knew the boat, had sailed on her and had a very strong affection for her previous owner. We were invited on board for drinks and spent a very pleasant couple of hours talking of Robert, his adventures, and our adventures with him. They gave us a tour of the boat and it was evident that they had worked very hard and have done lots of upgrades. In particular a new helming seat in shiny cream leather which Robert had never wanted to install as he feared falling asleep while helming.
Both Andreas and I were very moved and emotional. Robert was a dear friend, a REAL gentleman, extremely knowledgeable, highly competent as a sailor and such good company. Losing him as a friend was very sad indeed and we do think and talk of him often.
Jane and Adrian are a lovely couple. In another time I am sure Jane and I would become good friends as we share several life experiences as well as a passion for needlecraft. Robert would be chuffed to bits to know his beloved "Chookapa" is in safe and caring hands.

Comments
Vessel Name: Stiletto
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Gosport, UK
Crew: Andreas Giles & Jane Paulson
About:
We have been sailing together for 18 years and have owned Stiletto for 16 of them. We have exhausted the Solent and the UK South Coast and all the other usual passages: West Country, France, Channel Islands etc. that are available from our home port of Gosport. [...]