If you can dream it, you can do it!

09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023

Port Louis

13 July 2017
Current Position
47 42 62N
003 21 25W
Port Louis
The name Port Louis makes me feel we should be cruising America and I have the song Meet Me in Saint Louis by Judy Garland playing in my head! It also conjured up an image of a big busy port so my head was pretty well full of music and imagined sights before we even arrived. I couldn't have been more wrong. We said goodbye to Benodet and headed for Port Louis which is one of the seven marinas/ports within the major city port of Lorient. It was a 30 mile passage and once again we started on the engine but the wind picked up to F3 from the west after a couple of hours and we sailed the remainder of the way. This time we were accompanied by bottle nose dolphins and I did manage one picture but it's not that good. My camera is now however set up in " burst" mode so at our next sighting I should at least get a few good pics. At the marina entrance we were met by the berthing master who allocated us a berth away from the visitors pontoon which was nice. To our absolute delight, who should be berthed 3 boats down but Jane and Adrian of Colne Rose fame. We met them in Roscoff (which seems light years away now) and have been hoping to bump into them before they headed back to home waters. Laundry, chores and supper done, we spent until the early hours sat in our cockpit with a few snifters catching up on news and gossip. They have been to places that we intend to visit and were so helpful regarding information, maps and advice. The result of which was that we didn't leave next day as planned! Port Louis is gorgeous. We love it. It was a small tuna port and is now a seaside resort with a magnificent 16th century citadel. (It reminds us of St Vasst). A small town with narrow cobbled streets and some lovely old buildings with a really nice "street cafe" vibe. The quay side has an avenue of approximately 100 lime trees (similar to that in St Malo) that we just had to walk through and further down, a run of bars and restaurants with the kitchens tucked away within the wall that encompasses the town. We had a wander round, hit the boulangerie for bread and pastries ( of course) before meeting up with Jane and Adrian for pre supper drinks and then a meal at a very good Pizzeria, followed by coffee on board Colne Rose. We said our goodbyes accompanied by big hugs and promised to meet up again when we do a UK visit. A truly lovely couple.
Song for this post: With a little help from my friends by The Beatles
Thought for this post: Places aren't always how you imagine them to be.
Highlight for this post: Meeting up with Jane and Adrian
Comments
Vessel Name: Stiletto
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Gosport, UK
Crew: Andreas Giles & Jane Paulson
About:
We have been sailing together for 18 years and have owned Stiletto for 16 of them. We have exhausted the Solent and the UK South Coast and all the other usual passages: West Country, France, Channel Islands etc. that are available from our home port of Gosport. [...]