If you can dream it, you can do it!

09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023

Nisos Fournio

21 November 2019
Jane Paulson
Current Position
37 34 65N
026 28 74E
Date of arrival 9th November

Nisos Foùrnoi

The straits between Ikaria and Samos are speckled with a mini archipelago of several islets ( once haunted by pirates from various corners of the Mediterranean) . Only Thýmena and Foùrni are inhabited. We are on the island of Fournio in the town of Fournio which is home to a huge, very active, fishing fleet and one of the more thriving boatyards in the Aegean. There is also a very regular ferry service connecting to other islands and to Piraeus on the mainland. The population here is very stable - unlike so many other Greek islands.

We arrived, skirting around a dredger, in this busy harbour with its array of colourful fishing boats, and tied up on a piece of the quay just the right size for Stiletto out of the way of the ferries and fishing boats.

This is the most sheltered place we have visited on our adventure. The sea is flat calm, crystal clear (despite the traffic) and actually reminds us of a Scottish loch. Even when the ferry docks next to us , Stiletto barely moves. There is a lovely beach and many tavernas and cafés. The narrow main road, shaded by mulberry trees has a selection of supermarkets, electrical shops, a travel agent, bakery, a hardware store, a clothes shop and of course lots of churches!! – what more could you possibly need?. The road ends at the square shaded by two giant plane trees. There is nothing ‘touristy' here at all. It is very much a traditional Greek working village. Yet despite the activity of the fishing boats, this place has a lovely, very chilled vibe. No shouting, no loud noises, just calmness. We love it. We will be back to explore the many beautiful anchorages around the archipelago.

Muse for this post : I don't think inside the box. I don't think outside the box either. I don't even know where the box is !






Comments
Vessel Name: Stiletto
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Gosport, UK
Crew: Andreas Giles & Jane Paulson
About:
We have been sailing together for 18 years and have owned Stiletto for 16 of them. We have exhausted the Solent and the UK South Coast and all the other usual passages: West Country, France, Channel Islands etc. that are available from our home port of Gosport. [...]