If you can dream it, you can do it!

09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023

Nisos Samos

29 November 2019
Jane Paulson
Current Position
37 41 46N
026 57 28E
Date of arrival 16th November

Nisos Samos- Pythagorean - Samos Marina

We have done incredibly well and frankly should be giving each other a slap on the back for getting our ETA to Samos just right.

When we left Sicily in May of this year we had planned to arrive in Samos Marina 20th November by the latest. This would allow us 5 days to sort ourselves out before flying back to the UK for our 3 week visit. As it turned out, we arrived on 16th November and we are very pleased to have the extra time. We have a lovely spot – the cockpit is south facing so we get the sun right up until it sets. We have nobody immediately either side of us which gives us a feeling of space. There is one taverna in the marina which remains open all winter and the main town of Pythagorean is a 15 minute walk along the coastline. It has several supermarkets and an outstanding butcher. We will be very happy here I am sure.

The weather has been very settled so the plan has been to get as many jobs done as possible before the weather changes for the winter. So we have managed to wash and dry the Genoa and Main Sail – a huge undertaking and in order to do both these chores, the wind has to be ‘non existent, and the sun shining’ and for 2 days it was just right. The added bonus is that we are still wearing shorts, t shirts and flip flops so getting wet wasn't an issue.

Andreas has changed the engine oil – we like to leave Stiletto sitting out the winter with clean oil in her pipes.

I have done a load of laundry and we got all the rugs out and gave them a thorough power wash. We totally maxed out on the fabulously warm and calm weather.

We are also thrilled to have met up with Kat and T of Yacht Caladh who are also overwintering here. They were our neighbours in Marina di Ragusa on Sicily last winter .

And Paul and Mary ( SY Top Cat ) and their dog Lily are also here – we first met them in Nisos Kithnos and we are delighted to be sharing Christmas with them.

There are several other people of different nationalities who will also be overwintering here and we look forward to getting to know them and hear their stories over the coming months.
All is good.

So we are now getting ready for our flights to UK. Samos to Athens. Athens to Gatwick. We have rented the same apartment in Alverstoke as our last visit in June and the next 3 weeks will be a whirlwind of health and dental checks and time spent with our very dear friends.

Muse for this post: Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination. The best is yet to come.



Comments
Vessel Name: Stiletto
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Gosport, UK
Crew: Andreas Giles & Jane Paulson
About:
We have been sailing together for 18 years and have owned Stiletto for 16 of them. We have exhausted the Solent and the UK South Coast and all the other usual passages: West Country, France, Channel Islands etc. that are available from our home port of Gosport. [...]