If you can dream it, you can do it!

09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023

08 September 2022
Jane Paulson
THE SPORADES - Niso Skopolos

The island of Skopolos is bigger and more rugged than Skiathos. The landscape consists of conifers, olive groves, apricots, pears, almonds and plums, with prunes being the speciality. The lime coloured “broccoli” trees are in fact “Masque” trees.
Parts would remind you of Thailand with it's dense trees on the many small islets.

Skopolos and Glossa are the two main towns and are regarded as the prettiest in the Sporades.

The Romans, Venetians, French and the Ottamans have all occupied the island at various times. The Ottaman pirate Barbarossa who was in fact a Greek renegade from Lèsvos, slaughtered the entire population during the 16th century.

It was also the main location for the film Mama Mia in September 2007 and the chapel can be found on the northeast side of the island and to be honest, taking a tripper boat is probably the best way to get to it. The island capitalizes on this BIG time ! We decided to give it a miss. Just couldn't face all those tourists !!!

We had the perfect sail from Skiathos albeit for just 12nm to a beautiful anchorage in Ormos Limonari. It's up there in our top 3 anchorages. A beautiful beach with crystal clear water that matches the blue of the sky. A small beach resort for the more sophisticated tourist, 2 tavernas and a really cool bar playing soft music all day and into the evening. We came ashore for Pina Colada and Ouzo and enjoyed the vibe whilst composing this post.

Next day we moved round the island to the quayside of Skopolos town. Not so touristy and had a real nice vibe. We liked it here.

Muse for this post: It blows my mind that NASA is able to receive data from 4.67 billion miles away, but I lose WiFi signal in the galley !!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Stiletto
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Gosport, UK
Crew: Andreas Giles & Jane Paulson
About:
We have been sailing together for 18 years and have owned Stiletto for 16 of them. We have exhausted the Solent and the UK South Coast and all the other usual passages: West Country, France, Channel Islands etc. that are available from our home port of Gosport. [...]