If you can dream it, you can do it!

09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023

Greek Mainland - Thessaloniki 5 - Edessa

06 October 2022
Jane Paulson
Next on our Tourist Extravaganza was the Edessa Waterfalls.

The name Edessa means ‘tower in the water' and the falls are said to have been formed in the 14th century after a major geological or weather phenomenon, most likely an earthquake. Over the centuries, the water's formations changed and went from being collected in a basin to streaming through the city.

There is a double waterfall referred to as Lamda and the water flows sideways and is split in half by rocks during its descent. There is also a single 70 metre waterfall known as Karanos. At the bottom of this fall is a cave which can be explored. Both falls are located in a 15 acre park, surrounded by lush green trees and wildlife.

We spent a couple of hours here captivated by the power of the water. We walked behind the Karanos falls ( reminded me of standing behind the Niagara Falls years ago) but no-one is permitted to swim in the pools or stand underneath the falls - the power is just too great.

There have been days that it has been hard to believe that we are in Greece! Most people associate Greece with long sandy beaches peppered with umbrellas and sun beds. For us, this five day exploration of just this one area of the Greek Mainland has shown what a diverse country it this.

Muse for this post: The ying and yang of Greece. Everyone should experience it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Stiletto
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Gosport, UK
Crew: Andreas Giles & Jane Paulson
About:
We have been sailing together for 18 years and have owned Stiletto for 16 of them. We have exhausted the Solent and the UK South Coast and all the other usual passages: West Country, France, Channel Islands etc. that are available from our home port of Gosport. [...]