If you can dream it, you can do it!

09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
09 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023
08 December 2023

Greek Mainland - Thessaloniki 7 - Pella

10 October 2022
Jane Paulson
Continuing with our whistle stop tour, next was the ancient site of Pella.

Excavations of the ancient city were started in 1957 and have revealed large, well built houses with colonnaded courts and rooms with mosaic floors - still amazingly in tact. The mosaics are made of small natural pebbles and are true masterpieces. They date from the late 4th century BC.

The town was laid out on a rectangular grid with streets more than 30 feet wide. Terra- cotta pipes for distributing fresh water are underneath.
Pella was the birthplace of Philip II and his son Alexander the Great.

It was a fascinating site comprising of an administration complex housing the city magistrates and buildings which housed the public archives. It would be here that documents were transcribed, sealed and stored. Archaeologists found dozens of clay seals, pens and ink wells. There were libraries, the royal mint a wrestling ground and the portico of a gymnasium.

It is so nice to have the complete freedom to wander around sites such as this. There are occasionally areas that you cannot walk on but generally you can go almost anywhere. Greece is nowhere near as hung up about health and safety as other countries.

We spent hours here trying imagine what it must have looked like back in the day. Fascinating. We also wondered why such large cities become ruins – did one day, everyone just leave or was there a slow decline and the population just moved on . Maybe mass illness. Maybe a war. Answers on a postcard please!

Muse for this post: the wonders of the ancient world never cease to fascinate.
Comments
Vessel Name: Stiletto
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Hailing Port: Gosport, UK
Crew: Andreas Giles & Jane Paulson
About:
We have been sailing together for 18 years and have owned Stiletto for 16 of them. We have exhausted the Solent and the UK South Coast and all the other usual passages: West Country, France, Channel Islands etc. that are available from our home port of Gosport. [...]