Chimbarazo

Round 2…..

14 July 2019 | cape town
29 October 2018 | cape town
27 August 2018 | cape town
06 August 2018 | cape town
03 July 2018 | cape town
18 June 2018 | cape town
25 May 2018 | Cape Town
10 May 2018 | Cape Town
08 May 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
07 March 2018 | cape town
17 February 2018 | cape town
05 February 2018 | hout bay
21 January 2018 | cape town
15 January 2018 | cape town
13 January 2018 | cape town
06 October 2017 | hout bay
03 October 2017 | hout bay
13 September 2017 | Hout bay

February

05 February 2018 | hout bay
steve
Last week of Jan, an interim meeting was held to further discuss the saloon / galley layout as 'something' was bothering.
Ok, we knew that the area was VERY tight.....under no circumstance are cats allowed to be swung in there. Period !

Transpires that there was just a slight lack of clarity / common understanding as to what would go where. Because of the limited size of the space, it was very strongly felt that the visual flow of the space must be maintained.
The biggest issue was the microwave as there was no space for a 'built in' unit which then meant that it would have to be a 'on counter' unit which would compromise the openness we were trying to create
A compromise was struck....or should we say a 'change' was made ! Cut a long storey, a new hole will be cut in the deck seat locker above the sink area, thereby allowing the microwave to be mounted in an cupboard above. The trade off is that we loose a seat locker above.

The 1st week of Feb, the majority of the dry fit galley and saloon units are in place, all suitably mutilated to accommodate the changes / so as to make things work. I am fairly happy with the layout.
Yes its very tight, and the only way around that is to loose something. That is not an option. Yes we did loose the 'left over' nav station space, and the curve of the galley cupboard at the bottom of the companion way may be a bit intrusive....but I am not overly concern with either outcome.
Once the last little bits of the dry fit were done, everything would be removed, the lockers would be fitted, and the ER fit would commence.

A discussion was had regarding taps, basins and showers. Altho there were originally some old fittings, it was decided that I would look into new mixers, shower rails and sinks....just in case we decide to get new.

The portholes were all marked out prior to cutting. A discussion was had to finalise the positions - for some whether they related to the sheerline or not, and others where they sat in relation to internal / external.

External sanding of suspect above waterline areas, as well as fairing of badly 'deformed' areas, was continuing.

The new seawater intakes had been cut. Unfortunately the welder had taken ill so this side of work was on a standstill.

Cutting of the bow thruster is an interesting process.
Instead of cutting the hull both sides - and then possibly finding an error in the markup, having to replate and reinstate the structure before trying again - a glass fibre mould of the hull was being taken from the outside. This would then be marked up, cut and 'patched' until 100% correct. This would then form the template off which the hull is marked and cut. A labourious long way of doing things, but probably the only way to ensure that when the hull and structure is cut, it is correct.

The 2 deck lockers have received stiffeners, painted etc, ready for installation. One of the holding tanks was being rebonded as it wasn't up to scratch.

The carpenter has adjusted the back of the cargo hold seats - it used to have a strange angled back almost 300mm wide. Andrew decided that he didn't like this so it has been adjusted. Suits us as it allows more space to the ships office area. Bottoms to these seat lockers were being installed so as to fix to the floor adequately, and to stop stuff ending up in the bilge.

The rudder had also been dropped. All good except for the top bearing. Andrew has some or other trick up his sleeve !

For images see 'Favourites - February'
Comments
Vessel Name: chimbarazo
Vessel Make/Model: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 50 (Cargo version)
Hailing Port: currently Houtbay, South Africa
Crew: Giselle, Steve and Adam
About: Heres to hoping this time round goes well….