Chimbarazo

Round 2…..

14 July 2019 | cape town
29 October 2018 | cape town
27 August 2018 | cape town
06 August 2018 | cape town
03 July 2018 | cape town
18 June 2018 | cape town
25 May 2018 | Cape Town
10 May 2018 | Cape Town
08 May 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
07 March 2018 | cape town
17 February 2018 | cape town
05 February 2018 | hout bay
21 January 2018 | cape town
15 January 2018 | cape town
13 January 2018 | cape town
06 October 2017 | hout bay
03 October 2017 | hout bay
13 September 2017 | Hout bay

End April.......

08 May 2018 | cape town
steve
End April…..and it goes on……and on……and on

Oh wait, maybe not.
‘Goes on’ implies there is slow but substantial progress. It sure as hell doesn't feel like it !

And yet, when you look at it very very closely, there is work happening.

The rains have started in ‘earnest’ - ok, so everything is wet….but considering this is a drought, this says a lot.

The bow thruster tube has received a carbon fibre ‘front moulded’ deflector piece. Now just needs to be ground down smooth and faired in.
Sanding has continued a touch on the starboard above waterline section.

The recovered timber wall slats that were sanded down, have received the wax coating. Looking good !

The sanding of the doors are being checked again, specifically the grooves as any old colouring will detract form the finished product. One gent has the tedious job of sanding all these grooves to make sure sure they are acceptable.

The window fixing holes have all been adjusted.
the welder is now busy in the ER welding the genny and hwc support brackets into place. There has been a slight change to the positions so as to allow better access to all components. Once that is done, the exhaust system runs will be determined, and the water-maker position follows from that.
All of the tanks in the ER have been fitted, and the lockers are being prepared for fitting.
The exhaust boxes are being manufactured out of glass-fibre so as to save weight.

The forward cabin and cargo hold has all been primed and painted.
There has been a change in paint spec from sigma to Hempel - evidently all cost driven !

The aft shower floor / tray has been bonded in and the back panel manufactured ready for installation.

The stanchion tubing has arrived. Lots of talk about how to fix to the deck, handrails etc.

Andrew has transferred the design water line (DWL) onto the hull. We both agree that there is no way that this is correct. It is estimated that new WL will be somewhere between the ‘old / existing’ WL mark and the DWL. The above waterline paint will be brought down lower than required and once in the water, any anti-foul adjustment will be made.

After a number of months, there is still no sign of the masts…..and the damn rig design is also ‘still busy with’…….getting a touch irritated !!
If there isn't significant development towards resolution on these 2 items, will simply revert back to gaff and be done with it !

For images, refer to ‘Favourites - End April”
Comments
Vessel Name: chimbarazo
Vessel Make/Model: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 50 (Cargo version)
Hailing Port: currently Houtbay, South Africa
Crew: Giselle, Steve and Adam
About: Heres to hoping this time round goes well….