Chimbarazo

Round 2…..

14 July 2019 | cape town
29 October 2018 | cape town
27 August 2018 | cape town
06 August 2018 | cape town
03 July 2018 | cape town
18 June 2018 | cape town
25 May 2018 | Cape Town
10 May 2018 | Cape Town
08 May 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
07 March 2018 | cape town
17 February 2018 | cape town
05 February 2018 | hout bay
21 January 2018 | cape town
15 January 2018 | cape town
13 January 2018 | cape town
06 October 2017 | hout bay
03 October 2017 | hout bay
13 September 2017 | Hout bay

End May

25 May 2018 | Cape Town
steve
Two weeks has passed, and its been raining a tad.

Unfortunately not much has happened….or at least the hull still hasn't been closed up
Only 1 hatch is in, 2 saloon windows, and the soft patches are in.
For….flowers…..sake !!

On the steelwork side, most of the stanchion brackets have been made and some have been tack welded in place. Decided that the top of rail will be 900 above deck level.
To overcome putting a myriad of pad eyes on deck, holes have been drilled in the stanchion bracing structure, to accommodate shackles for a strop…..should work.
I hope.

Internally, the starter battery boxes to motors and bow-thruster has been installed.
The chain locker drainage has been cut, welded in partly skimmed and painted.
Exhaust outlets are in, skimmed and painted. Aft portlight welds internally are being ground down and prepped before closing up.

The aft and forward heads positions, raised step, cupboards, linings etc are in place, except for the section around portlights which are being made up. The forward heads shelving is taking shape.
All the cupboard doors have been sorted into size/shape/colour. This is so that they can be allocated appropriately to a heads cupboard, which can then be cut for fitting of the doors.
The first of the basins is in process of being made…..

The damaged lower section of the division between the saloon/galley and the aft quarters has been repaired and prepped.
The cupboard behind the companionway - where the floor was discovered to be rotten, has been replaced and prepped.
While working on this, it was found that the entire companionway/structure/cupboard was out of square, and hence the original doors that had been removed, probably because they could not open / close ! This has all been rectified.

The watertight bulkhead at the chain locker is being glassed. In addition, the locker frames are being [prepared for installation.

The engine control unit was out so as to determine a location to mount.

Hatch opening direction was discussed. Aft hatches to open towards the back so if pooped would slam shut. Forward hatches to open forwards for similar reason.

A long discussion was had regarding the masts / mast design. I was pissed of with what had been provided to us after almost 3 months….and we were still no wiser whether it would work or not.
Evidently the designers first had a look at stability and whether the masts structurally were adequate. The upshot is that the masts will work ! Now they will look into the design ‘style’ that we demand…..

As for delivery of the rig, it has now been promised by end of May…..we shall see !

The shaft price requested, the gods only recall back when, still hasn't been received - ok, 1 is still outstanding…..

Completion - well, who the F nows !
Hopefully by the end of the year, and if it is so, will be last day of November….

I give up. I F give up !!


For images, refer to “Favourites - end May”
Comments
Vessel Name: chimbarazo
Vessel Make/Model: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 50 (Cargo version)
Hailing Port: currently Houtbay, South Africa
Crew: Giselle, Steve and Adam
About: Heres to hoping this time round goes well….