Chimbarazo

Round 2…..

14 July 2019 | cape town
29 October 2018 | cape town
27 August 2018 | cape town
06 August 2018 | cape town
03 July 2018 | cape town
18 June 2018 | cape town
25 May 2018 | Cape Town
10 May 2018 | Cape Town
08 May 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
07 March 2018 | cape town
17 February 2018 | cape town
05 February 2018 | hout bay
21 January 2018 | cape town
15 January 2018 | cape town
13 January 2018 | cape town
06 October 2017 | hout bay
03 October 2017 | hout bay
13 September 2017 | Hout bay

Mid June

18 June 2018 | cape town
steve
3 weeks has passed.....and its been raining.....quite a lot !
Missed the regular Thursday fortnightly so am doing a Saturday with the famdamnily instead.
When you look at it, not a helluva lot has happened. But when you delve deeper, stuff is happening. Slowly.

For the first time the majority of the work focus seems to be on the internal fit out as opposed to the hull / structure. Not all, but most : /

The stanchion based have been removed and 'cut back' so that they aren't as far from the gunwale....which becomes an issue at the step up to the poop deck. so these have been adjusted....and thereby we have lost the fitting points for the block strops. decided we will probably drill holes into the exposed frames at the gunwales....its there, may as well use them !

All the hatches are in and are being protected by wooden boxes. The portlights, other than the aft 4, are in. Must admit looks good.
The aft portlights require a 'tapered' lining which must be inserted first / together with the portlight. These are in production at the moment.

The side lockers have been fitted and the hatches have been cut.

Internally, the aft cabin sole and new furniture has been placed. Damn, the flooring looks really awesome !
The aft and forward heads washbasins have been fitted, cupboards door 'holes' have been cut. All is in process of being fitted together. Also looking good, even tho its still odd colours.
The chain locker watertight bulkhead has been completed. The locker drains are being faired externally.
The forward heads / cabin partition has received some adjustment to stop water splashing from the wet area onto the cabin timber sole.
The old structure from the old hatch had to be trimmed away so as to allow for a continuous ceiling.

A long discussion was had regarding completion. Again.
Andrew is adamant that end November she will go into the water, with handover probably towards mid / end Feb.
For f.....lowers.......!

The issue of mast delivery and design was discussed.
Again.....!
Seems it will now be here in 2 weeks time !
And once here, the designer will come check it out, after which we will meet and finalise any design issues.
Giselle and I have decided to give 3 weeks until we make a decision on the masts. This cannot go on like this. If there is any further delay, we will make a call irrespective. We want clarity !

Personally, I don't believe that the designers are going to be able to meet our 'requirements', by using the aluminium masts. I just don't see us being happy with the outcome, but I will give the benefit of the doubt for now.

In the meantime, I have approached fabricators to get a feel for the cost on steel masts fabricated, galvanised and delivered to the yard.
In addition, have asked for costs of aluminium masts and boom, for our edification.

Should we go the steel route, hopefully we will be able to recoup some of the cost by selling the aluminium masts.

For images see 'Favourites - Mid June'
Comments
Vessel Name: chimbarazo
Vessel Make/Model: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 50 (Cargo version)
Hailing Port: currently Houtbay, South Africa
Crew: Giselle, Steve and Adam
About: Heres to hoping this time round goes well….