Chimbarazo

Round 2…..

14 July 2019 | cape town
29 October 2018 | cape town
27 August 2018 | cape town
06 August 2018 | cape town
03 July 2018 | cape town
18 June 2018 | cape town
25 May 2018 | Cape Town
10 May 2018 | Cape Town
08 May 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
07 March 2018 | cape town
17 February 2018 | cape town
05 February 2018 | hout bay
21 January 2018 | cape town
15 January 2018 | cape town
13 January 2018 | cape town
06 October 2017 | hout bay
03 October 2017 | hout bay
13 September 2017 | Hout bay

End June

03 July 2018 | cape town
steve
So, end of June it is !
Not a lot has happened over the last 2 weeks……whats new !
Admittedly, it has been raining, a lot !

Family is with again as the normal Thursday meeting didn't happen.

The masts still haven’t arrived. We did say 3 weeks, so hopefully by end of 1st week of July…….

I have received costs for the fabrication, post fab galvanising, and delivery to the yard, of the steel masts. If we decide to go this route, and assuming we only manage to recoup about 1/3 of the aluminium mast costs, we will be out of pocket about 60k. But this will give us clarity. It also gives quite a bit of versatility which the aluminium route doesn't.
I am not sure what the South African insurers rules are regarding an aluminium masts lifespan, but I do know we were advised in Antigua, to replace after 10 years. I am fairly sure, if the steel is galvanised post fabrication, not drilled etc etc, that we should get more than that…..which is also a plus.

Some fairing at the stanchion welds has happened.
A small leak at the poop deck step was welded. Hopefully that is the last one !

Most work has happened internally.
Last of the basins is being fitted. Portlights are being tightened up and covers fitted. One of the aft portlight surrounds has been placed, while another 2 are in process. Must admit, it looks quite neat.

All the tanks have finally been bolted in place. One tank - just 1 - wouldn't fit into its designated space. Turns out there is a frame in the way so the tank had to be ‘rebated’ to accommodate the frame.
This led to an interesting discussion about the setting out of the boat. They had found that some frames weren't exactly squared. One of the coachhouse windows, on starboard side, had to be trimmed internally to fit at a frame. This did not have to be done on the port side tho as the frame was centred….and yet everything lined up externally.

The suggestion that internal panels need to be removable for hull inspection was taken. In the heads areas, the panels will be inside cupboards so as to retain the ‘wet area’ integrity as far as possible.

Ceiling subframes are being installed. Ceilings will be installed in workable panel sizes with cover strips covering joints, which will also make access possible.

A general discussion was had regarding electrical installation & wiring colours.

The bowsprit / stanchion junction was discussed. I wanted to go the more ‘traditional’ route with cables and netting, whereas Andrews advocated the pulpit with continuous handrail idea. Giselle and I discussed at home and have decided to go with the more traditional wire and netting.

Altho we have asked, and asked, we are still waiting for the designers costs….

For images, see 'Favourites - end June'
Comments
Vessel Name: chimbarazo
Vessel Make/Model: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 50 (Cargo version)
Hailing Port: currently Houtbay, South Africa
Crew: Giselle, Steve and Adam
About: Heres to hoping this time round goes well….