Sailing Sunnyside

Adventures from the crew of Sunnyside!

Spanish Wells - been there but won't go back!

Slept in today. I sewed a section of the cover of the helm station that ripped. Mark waterproofed it and fixed another leak over the helm station for when it’s raining. He also glued a piece of the rubber teak flooring in the cockpit.

After engine checks around 9:30 am, we motored to Spanish Wells. It was a 1.5 hour motor to get there. The sun was shining with light East wind on the nose, so we motored with one engine.

Mark anchored in front of Russell Island, while I took the helm. There were at least a dozen or more boats anchored in front of us. We ate lunch and made calls before launching the dinghy for a ride to Spanish Wells. Mark said there was a grocery store plus a hardware store. Mark replaced the dinghy painter line as we would be towing the dinghy to the next anchorage.

This was our first visit to Spanish Wells. There were many boats around and docked inside at small marinas and boat yards. We stopped and tied our dingy off a fuel station with a ladder, so we could get off, but it was someone’s private dock. We visited the marine boat store. The lady there gave us a map and told us where the huge grocery store was located and where to get rid of our bag of trash.

We dinghied to a place designated as a public dock, but with our dinghy, we couldn’t get off because there was no ladder or place to tie the dinghy. So, we dinghied around the harbor looking for another place to tie up to, but did not find any. We gave up. It was not boater friendly, so we returned to Sunnyside.

Mark hauled anchor and we motor/sailed about 2 miles to Meeks Patch. With the East wind, we would be totally protected here. We arrived around 3:30 pm. We dinghied to the beach and were surprised to see chicken, roosters and pigs walking the beach. As we climbed out of the dinghy, Mark set the dinghy anchor and the pigs came running towards us, one at a time, looking for food. We should have taken food for them. Tour boats played loud music and brought tourists to see the pigs. We walked to the other side of the island, which was extremely narrow. The tide had gone out on a section of the beach and it was dry with sand ripples and no water, until the tide rose again. We walked the beach. We could see several boats anchored off that side of the island.

We walked back and dinghied to Sunnyside. It was hot onshore, so we talked about snorkeling off the boat. I got my feet wet, but the sun was behind clouds and the water was cold, so I didn’t jump in. Mark got in and swam to the anchor and back. The water was crystal clear and we were anchored in 9 feet of clear water.

Tomorrow, we will take Sunnyside to an anchorage off Current Cut. Mark is researching for the best waters for boating through this cut which can have 6 knots of current at peak tidal – half way between high and low.

Sending healing to my brother-in-law who is currently in the hospital.