08 November 2008 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
30 October 2008 | Waya Island, Yasawa Group, Fiji
29 October 2008 | Drawaqa Island, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
23 October 2008 | Somo somo Bay, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
21 October 2008 | Blue Lagoon, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
16 October 2008 | Blue Lagoon, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
14 October 2008 | Sawa-i-lau, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
12 October 2008 | Musket Cove, Fiji
09 October 2008 | Vuda Point Marina
11 September 2008 | Vuda Point, Fiji
03 September 2008 | Musket Cove, Fiji
29 August 2008 | Suva
26 August 2008 | Nadi, Fiji
21 August 2008 | Lautoka, Fiji
20 August 2008 | In transit to Fiji
16 August 2008 | Uoleva, Haapai Group, Tonga
11 August 2008 | Lifuka, Haapai Group, Tonga
07 August 2008 | Haafeva, Haapai Group, Tonga
01 August 2008 | Nukualofa

Return from Kaneohe 2004 Log

23 August 2004 | Kaneohe/SF
Surprise Pacific Cup 2004

8/19/2004: Surprise Landing At about 5:30 this morning, Thursday, August 19th, the Surprise crew hoisted Guava Cocktails in a toast to a safe return and an excellent adventure.

We also celebrated the first graduating class of the Chamberlin TransPacific Ocean Cruising Academy for Novice Sailors - the motto of which is "Ignorance Ergo Adventure." (The only requirement for graduation is survival. )

Our sixth crew member, Otto Pilot, was voted Most Likely to Succeed and the Diesel Brothers were commended for flawless service.

All that, of course, came after a long final day of slogging through winds from the northwest at 20-25 mph with occasional gusts up to 35 causing confused seas. This was a bit of a challenge for the novices, as we'd had such idyllic conditions previously, but it did provide an opportunity to review the basics of seasickness management in some cases.

Steve and Susan did overtime shifts helping us out on deck through our first real exposure to heavier weather. They've got to be the world's most patient teachers - and have the bloody lips and tongues to prove it, since the winds and waves went a long way toward erasing from our memories even the basics of reefing and trimming.

With all that wind, Whomper stayed below for the final leg home and the self furling jib was a blessing. We learned a bit more about radar, radio communications and navigating with computer technology. One big lesson overlooked at most sailing schools: if the mouse takes a flier and hits the floor during a swell, it quits. Just when some of us were making book on whether or not the fabulously prepared Surprise had a spare mouse on board, Steve whipped out one of two available laptops, hooked her up, and we were in business again. What else?

After we'd all got a chance to try out the foul weather gear (thanks to Bill, Ted and Jeff!) and had finally mastered the arts of layering (and using the head before suiting up!) the wind let up to about 8-10 knots at about midnight and we cranked up the trusty diesels for the final run home. (Some of us were surprised that Steve didn't suggest we put up the Whomper. After all, it was dark!) Susan, who had spent most of the previous 24 hours either navigating, teaching us to steer through waves, or directing reefing/unreefing operations, poked her head up during an early sighting of the gate and then retreated to her bunk for a well-deserved snooze. The rest of us sat on deck awe-struck as Steve guided us under the bridge at 04:30 - exactly 13.5 days after our departure.

I'm guessing there's a lot of sleeping going on today.

When do we do it again?
xo aj 8/18/2004: Headed for the Barn At UTC time:4:31 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 37�36.11?? N 123�23.21?? W
Making a speed of: 7.6 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 80T
With the wind at: 18 knots from: 316M

We?? re 40 miles from the Gate and bouncing about in the coastal waves. At the dock by 6 or 7am.
Nice trip.8/18/2004: Surprise Arrival At UTC time:2:16 PM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 37�22.49?? N 125�43.42?? W
Making a speed of: 7.3 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 77T
With the wind at: 14 knots from: 318M

Tight reaching for the Gate with the GPS indicating arrival at the Gate around 5 am tomorrow; bouncy and breezy. 8/17/2004: Rolling Home At UTC time:4:45 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 37�06.81?? N 127�08.51?? W
Making a speed of: 6.6 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 82T
With the wind at: 9 knots from: 311M

Admittedly, I haven?? t spent all that much time sailing, but if yesterday wasn?? t about as perfect a day on the water as anyone?? s ever had, I?? ll do foredeck duty for a week.
The skies were blue with puffy white clouds. The winds were 10-15 off our starboard flank and we had gentle flowing seas that made for great surf riding. The main and jib were fat, happy and QUIET. What a gorgeous sound Surprise makes as she slides down the waves - you can actually HEAR light and bubbles, froth and foam. Resonating underneath it all there?? s the powerful tone of deep blue. Whoa.
Almost all of us found reason to be on deck for most of the day. There was laundry to be done, sails to be fiddled with and books to read. The temperature was perfect. By late afternoon Susan and I broke out the hemp bracelet making kit that came with the halfway supplies and we were both sporting beaded anklets by dinnertime.
We had another holy card sunset which provided a terrific backdrop to a passing container ship with a friendly crew who not only chatted Susan up a bit on the radio but blinked their strobe in a friendly good-bye as they passed behind us. Much nicer than the terse response we got from another ship later in the evening: ?Absolutely� was all they said in response to Stokey?? s fourth inquiry as to whether they could see us. By that time we had put the strobe light on for real. We figured they must have had a pretty good card game going on.
Our gorgeous wind started to fall out after dinner last night and we went back to fussing with the sails, trying various configurations (it?? s soooo much more fun after dark!) until Susan finally caved and turned the motor on in the wee hours this morning.
It?? s been light air and hazy all day and we?? ve been pretty laid back in response. More laundry, (these boys are unbelievable!) put up a radar reflector and told cruising horror stories inspired by Latitude 38. I know Stokey was reaaaaally disappointed when Susan decided - well before dark - that since we?? re anticipating the return of bigger winds this evening, maybe the whomper should come down sooner rather than later.
So we frolicked on the foredeck one more time,and I must say, it?? s getting a lot less ugly. Personally, I really think we?? re starting to get the hang of this sailing thing and should stay out another coupla weeks but I can?? t get consensus on that. Geez, we even had a knot tying seminar in the cockpit before cocktails and we?? re much improved on that score as well. Turns out Pete?? s got quite a handle on the knot thing, so with coaching from the Brothers, we?? re all now pretty much up to speed on our bowlins (sp?), half hitches and grannies. Just to assure Steve that we?? ve really got them down this time, we?? re going to surprise him by securing him to his bunk tonight.
There?? s an unbelievable moonset out there - just a silver sliver illuminating a low cloud bank. Gotta go be here now.
See ya soon.
xo aj8/17/2004: Tuesday At UTC time:12:00 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 36�59.38?? N 127�45.48?? W
Making a speed of: 5.5 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 79T
With the wind at: 7 knots from: 252M

The wind has taken the day off.
We are motoring with the last dregs of our fuel, 5.5� in the port tank, about 20 gallons. The weather wizards say that the wind will reappear out of the northwest any moment. Susan is baking bread in her ?breadmaker� called a Zojirusi (it?? s Korean for battery killer). It is hot and the 5.5 knots of wind from behind us is exactly equal to the 5.5 knots we are making; there is no breeze, but the smell of fresh baked bread blends with the whine of dead batteries.
A Wednesday arrival is highly unlikely; Thursday will depend on when the winds arrive. Prognosis is for a nice reach to the gate once the coastal trades arrive. As Capt. Ron said in the movie ?We must be almost there.� ?How do you know?� ?Because we brought enough beer for the trip and it?? s all gone.� Five cans at last inventory.
We are beginning to see the small floating bubbles with sails that are so plentiful off the coast; they are jellyfish spawn and are created in two models: one with a starboard sail, one with port and they do in fact sail and are not just blown in front of the wind. We are studying them to see if they race and if they have come up with a viable handicapping system.
Home soon.8/16/2004: Monday A wonderful day of sailing. Started with the small jib and changed to the whomper mid-morning. Our 24 hour run was 175 miles net to the Golden Gate. We are actually steering a little north so we can turn down for SF when we get into the coastal winds. Tomorrow is forecast to be a lighter day wind-wise as we cross the last piece of the High. Our GPS recalculates our arrival time about every 3 seconds and it says Wednesday night when we are surfing down the face of a wave and Thursday morning when we fall off the back.
Today has been postcard perfect; a few squall guys roaming around in the morning but nothing but clear skies and a gentle swell since. Everyone hit the showers today and new outfits are in fashion. It?? s beginning to cool off as we get closer to the coast; water has dropped to 70 from 77. I?? m praying for no more nets on the prop. We?? ve saved some fuel in case tomorrow is really light; we have enough for about 6 hours of motoring and enough to charge batteries. Hopefully we won?? t need to motor.
What a remarkable trip.8/16/2004: 485 To Go Nice night of sailing...good progress, no squalls. One more hump to get over on Tuesday; we?? re saving our last fuel for light winds then. If we hold good winds, eta late Wednesday, otherwise Thursday morning.
Showers today, and new outfits for the cool coastal waters.8/16/2004: Team Work The promised winds kicked in big time this morning and we had a call for all hands on deck around 10 in hopes of changing jibs. Turned out the squall on our tail was moving faster than we thought and the sail swap was delayed for several hours worth of being in ?the car wash�.
Just when the morning watch had wrung themselves out and tucked into berths, skies cleared, seas calmed and Susan decided the time was right to get out there and just do it. With excellent coaching from Steve on foredeck and Susan at the helm this little Green Team managed to get the big one down and the little one up without loss of life or limb - although Steve had quite a wrestling match with the whomper to get it stuffed down the forward hatch. We all breathed a sigh of relief that he decided to worry about folding it ?later�.
We celebrated with a hot dog lunch after Susan had the preventers custom-rigged for a sweet afternoon of 10-15 knots with following seas. Things calmed down and cleared off to afford a very civilized supper, and we?? re rounding out the evening under clear skies, skimming along wing on wing at 6 knots with winds still from the southwest. Susan requested ?more of the same� for her watch, and it looks like she?? ll get it, despite early electronic predictions of gusts up to 35 for this evening.
Stay tuned.
xo aj8/15/2004: What a Difference a Day Makes At UTC time:10:29 PM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 35�34.27?? N 134�29.19?? W
Making a speed of: 7.3 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 79T
With the wind at: 14 knots from: 209M

Motored through glassy seas with no wind yesterday afternoon and evening; wind filled in as promised around 10pm...and we?? ve been doing 7s and 8s since. Squalls and 25 knots of breeze this morning; this will continue until Tuesday when we cross through the last piece of the High. Squalls and gusts to 30 tonight. Whomper is rolled up and will get replaced with the HW jib this afternoon. It takes all hands to wrestle the whomper to the deck and get it something like folded; doing it in 25 knots is a real challenge. Galley belt and harnesses required; seat belt sign is on. We?? ll likely make 200 miles today.
Dug into the halfway box for ?traffic treats� (Altoids sours).8/14/2004: Surprise Marches Homeward At UTC time:12:00 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 35�03.87?? N 137�38.31?? W
Making a speed of: 5.5 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 65T
With the wind at: 9 knots from: 270M

Winds picked up last night and have held nicely through most of today coming from the southwest. We?? re still ?winging it� most of the time, and Steve is just delighted that he changed his mind about shipping that one home separately.
I missed the passing freighter this morning (done in by an early morning watch and the enusing peach/macadamia nut pancakes for breakfast!) but got to participate in yet another prop liberation maneuver this afternoon. We?? re getting pretty good at this - under 10 minutes this time. Unfortunately, we also seem to be pretty good at attracting detritus - caught a net while under sail this time - noticed it when we hit a lull and decided it was a good time to turn the engine on to charge the batteries. Ugly black smoke and over Steve goes. Some of us were wondering if we couldn?? t improve that time with a few more tries, but for some reason Steve wasn?? t really enthusiastic about the possibility of more practice.
Snagged a couple more small ahi, but nothing big enough to eat, so we?? re making do elegantly with what?? s on hand and have made a significant dent in the canned fruit supply per Susan?? s request.
Life is good.
aj8/14/2004: Gold Medal For the Olympic sport of prop cleaning: Surprise in 10 minutes flat, including dropping main sail. 8/14/2004: Better Lucky than Smart At UTC time:10:27 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 34�35.18?? N 139�07.63?? W
Making a speed of: 5.1 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 58T
With the wind at: 9 knots from: 273M

When we got to Hawaii we pulled all the downwind racing sails off the boat and folded them for shipment home; who needs 5 spinnakers for the return trip? We also folded the big jib top (affectionately known as ?The Whomper� for reasons only know to those few who saw the movie ?Wind�). Three days before we left I packed the box for shipping and decided not to ship the Whomper, what a lucky call. It has been our workhorse, dragging us through the light stuff; upwind, reaching, downwind wing-on-wing. In it?? s original design Surprise was intended to motor through the light stuff...never thought we?? d see this much. It will save us a couple of days on this passage. Lucky. 8/13/2004: A Mighty Wind At UTC time:3:42 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 34�16.63?? N 139�40.50?? W
Making a speed of: 6.1 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 66T
With the wind at: 10 knots from: 265M

After 5 days of motoring and a rainy gray morning, 10-12 knots from the southwest sure feels Mighty. Susan and Stokey hand steered through gathering winds and the end of the morning squalls. Just before lunch Steve got the whomper and main set up wing-on-wing and turned the helm back over to Otto Pilot. We?? ve been plowing along under bright sunny skies at 5-7 knots ever since. Our only regret is that with the wind behind us and the sails way out, there?? s no relief from the blazing sun....but nobody?? s even thought about whining.
Hailed a passing tanker (surmised by Susan to be plying the oil trade between Mexico and Russia) but the sailing is so good now that Steve decided not to make Susan and I do the hootchie kootchie on the foredeck in hopes of hustling some diesel ?just in case.�
We?? re currently passing a quiet afternoon with officers filing their nails on deck and enlisted personnel lazing about in their bunks catching up on reading that came with the halfway package, compliments of the Bond family. We also enjoyed Sierra Club propaganda with our dinner last night, and are batting 1,000 with the ?Where in the World� geography trivia quiz supplied. Sorry Jeff, the veggie bits got aced by Belgian chocolates and Newman?? s own.
Skies should be clear tonight - we?? ll catch the end of the meteor showers, check out the new star chart, and see how this new rig goes in the dark.
xo aj8/12/2004: Thank you... At UTC time:9:26 PM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 33�58.81?? N 140�20.54?? W
Making a speed of: 5.8 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 51T
With the wind at: 6 knots from: 180M

We have wind.
Not a lot, 9-10 knots, from directly behind. You sailors in the audience will know that this is difficult to make work, as the faster the boat goes, the slower the wind. We?? ve rigged the ?whomper� in a ?wing-on-wing� configuration...kind of like those car ads with the footnote ?Closed course, professional driver, do not try this at home.� Interestingly, this is a configuration we discovered for Surprise while we were practicing for the Pacific Cup and when Jeff looked at the Deckman data we found that it was fast.
We?? re rolling along at 5-6 knots; everyone is smiling. It would be beers all around if they weren?? t on the endangered list.8/13/2004: Still no Wind... At UTC time:5:51 PM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 33�40.93?? N 140�32.69?? W
Making a speed of: 5.8 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 55T
With the wind at: 5 knots from: 173M

The weather gurus predict that we?? ll see light breezes today from behind us (the worst possible direction for where we want to go) and we hope that we see something; so far just light rain from a squall. If the breeze doesn?? t fill in we will probably just drift and wait for the low that is supposed to move into our neighborhood on Saturday evening; it is forecast to bring 15 knots which should move us along smartly. We don?? t have enough fuel to keep motoring until then.
Boat is working well; all of the systems are functioning as they should so we have refrigeration, power, and fresh water; comfort is good. The times last night when we had wind were wonderful, sliding along flat seas without a sound at 7.5 knots. We?? re hoping for more of that today.8/12/2004: Halfway Swim Another length of line wrapped on the prop this afternoon; quick clean and back underway. Mercifully the water is warm and I was due for a shower anyway. We're down to our last 20 gallons of motoring fuel; we?? ll reserve an additional 10 gallons to charge batteries, make refrigeration and water; otherwise life gets very primitive. It is enough fuel to motor until mid-day tomorrow. Our weather information indicates that the breeze will fill in over the next 12-36 hours and get us sailing towards SF. We?? ve come 1,040 miles and have that many to go.
Halfway party tonite.8/12/2004: Halfway Day At UTC time:1:12 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 32�45.52?? N 142�02.71?? W
Making a speed of: 6.1 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 56T
With the wind at: 5 knots from: 154M

There?? s not a lot of breeze to shoot due to that persistent high pressure system keeping things calm and flat. Perfectly fine by me, but Steve remains a bit concerned about our fuel supply.
Spent much of this morning getting the whomper (new giant jib)and spinnaker set up and ready for favorable winds. Then we had several ?science experiments� to see if we could squeeze any more efficiency out of our current rig. With breezes light and from the southwest, the constant flopping of the boom was making the Captain?? s hair curl (!)so now it?? s got a bootstrapped rig keeping it out to port. (The boom, not the hair.) Adds a smidge to our speed, and cuts way down on the annoyance factor.
Steve was 10 minutes away from finishing up his refinements and his watch and going below for a well deserved nap when we snagged our second fishing net. Thus he got to take another seawater bath. The light winds and the new boom rig meant there was no need to lower the mainsail, so some of us were deeply disappointed that there was no naked halyard jumping to raise it back up. Rats! We were gonna get pictures for y?? all this time.
Fresh breezes and a low pressure system are reportedly pushing down from the arctic circle, though, so we should be back under sail by tomorrow evening.
Otherwise concerns about being in a small space with others for prolonged periods were unfounded: I?? m happy as a clam, generally calm and relaxed, especially these last few days while motoring. Brought about 4 times as many clothes and books as needed - life is simple and the days flow by amazingly quickly despite ?nothing� to do.
I?? d forgotten just how much I love being on the water, and find the constant parade of clouds and waves endlessly fascinating. I have newfound appreciation for both the Greek myth of the Sirens (how tempting it would be to simply step off the boat into that clear, incredible deep blue!) and the song ?Row Row Row Your Boat�. Once you?? ve been out here, you get the lyrics to that one on a whole new level.
Am wishing I was a better sailor so as to feel more useful, and less terrified (and therefore immobilized) when something unexpected happens. Would be happy to spend another 4-6 weeks out here - think I might actually start to get the hang of things with a few more weeks of this total immersion experience - although that?? s probably a lousy choice of words.
Today we?? re smack dab in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and believe ourselves to be farther from land than just about any place on earth. Now there?? s a thought. I must repair to my bunk to ponder that.....and rest up for tonight?? s halfway celebration.
xo aj8/11/2004: Diesel Dilemma At UTC time:4:55 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 31�39.84?? N 144�04.50?? W
Making a speed of: 6.2 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 55T
With the wind at: 4 knots from: 085M

Gorgeous, sun drenched day with nary a breeze - a nice little break from yesterday?? s action, but a source of consternation to the strategists on board.
Switched over to our second tank of diese this morning, well shy of the halfway point. Some were wishing we had hustled yesterday?? s fisherman for a cup of fuel - others were a bit nervous about the Captain?? s speculations as to which crew member might make a good bartering chip....
A variety of electronic oracles have been consulted, however, and the current prognostication is for favorable winds starting tomorrow evening, which should get us out of this high and into coastal breezes with all hands aboard and several gallons in the tank. Just to be sure, we cast wishes as we pitched our dinner detritus over our left shoulders into the Deep.
In the meantime, we?? ve had a quiet day watching the detritus float by - notably a fully intact plastic garden chair, and a lot of what looks like either a shipwreck or the space shuttle.
Susan had a major score this morning with the sighting of a genuine, actual, bona fide glass ball - bottle green, mollusk encrusted and quite beautiful. Her gallant Captain snagged the thing and presented her with yet another talisman attesting to their lifetime of shared adventure.
Otherwise we?? re looking forward to a Big Show tonight, with the climax of the Perseid meteor shower. StarMan Stokey just keeps reeling off the stellar hits, and tells us there WILL be a test before this voyage is over.
Off now to watch another picture perfect ?holy card� sunset - and if you don?? t know what a holy card is, ask somebody who went to catholic school when they still had nuns.
aj8/11/2004: The Pacific High At UTC time:2:10 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 31�29.66?? N 144�21.24?? W
Making a speed of: 6.1 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 55T
With the wind at: 4 knots from: 092M

What a remarkable place....endless, cloudless, waveless, windless.
If we don?? t get out of here tomorrow we will be here forever. The weather wizards tell us to be patient and keep burning our fuel (we?? re down to 42 gallons), our magic carpet will arrive tomorrow evening.
Hope they are right...we are as far from land as you can be anywhere on the face of the earth; I don?? t think AAA will come.
Susan picked up a nice big glass ball today...a net float of green glass, with a small colony of mussels, crabs, etc that are trying to understand what being in a plastic bag means.
Half way tomorrow...hope the halfway box has 20 gallons of fuel.
Aloha8/11/2004: Surprise the Hybrid We?? re focused on fuel economy; we need to reach the end of the ?high� before we run out of fuel. In any normal year we would have plenty as we carry 140 gallons; this is not a normal weather year. We emptied the first tank at 6am this morning and won?? t reach the half way point until tomorrow morning; not pretty, it could be several days before the winds show up. Our guess is that we have enough fuel for 50-60 hours of motor time; we need to save some of that (10) for making electricity, refrigeration and water. We?? ve cut the speed and are carefully ?motor sailing� to see if we can get better economy and make that 50 into 70 hours.
We forgot to bring the paddles.8/10/2004: Firsts It?? s been a day of firsts on Surprise.
After our morning swim to floss the prop we talked to our friend from Kaneohe, David Greenlee, on the radio. David was about 250 miles south of us and about 7 miles above us; he?? s a Captain for Aloha Airlines and was enroute to Honolulu. We told him we had the seat belt sign off; he?? ll travel as far in an hour as it has taken us three days.
Mr. Mahi is joining us for dinner. Susan and Stokie had a double hook up with a couple of small Aku which we sent back to grow up; ten minutes later a nice bull mahi on the handline; the fight starts when you get them on board. Susan is exploring the stores for the proper preparation.
Two ships today...first we?? ve seen.
Too much action...time for a nap.
sc 8/10/2004: Action Just when we thought Surprise?? s return voyage was going to be a sun-drenched, undulating version of the movie ?Ground Hog Day� it turns into a full length action feature.
By now you?? ve read about Captain Steve?? s early morning underwater liberation of the propeller.
All hands were on deck for a well orchestrated commando raid, pulled off without a hitch - and in some cases without a stitch. (No R-rating necessary, however, as single ladies aboard were instructed to avert their eyes).
All that excitement was preceded by a record setting constellation identification marathon by StarMan Stokey, last night, set against a rather noir backdrop of mist and brooding silence.
This afternoon brought more action with the successful submission of several fish, one of whom will grace our dinner table this evening. (I think the current score is Fish 2/Surprise 3, but we?? re only in the 5th inning.)
A few bit players were introduced recently, as a freighter appeared on the horizon just after the last fish had been subdued , and a while ago we encountered a commercial fisherman out for tuna.
All eyes are sharp today as a result of last night?? s encounter with the fishing net - we?? re hoping the ones that got away yesterday have now had a chance to take the measure of their adversary and will cease and desist from further fishing net assaults - at least for this episode.
Stay tuned for the sequel, and keep your eyes open for the emergence of a new extreme sport: naked halyard jumping.
aj8/10/2004: Free Surprise At UTC time:5:50 PM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 29�46.23?? N 147�52.94?? W
Making a speed of: 5.7 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 72T
With the wind at: 6 knots from: 030M

Yes, we?? re underway again. Waited until daylight, dropped sails and set a sea anchor (you could see the anchor clearly 150?? down!). Pulled the hunk of net off the prop and we?? re off again. Every day another adventure. 8/10/2004: Fouled At UTC time:11:18 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 29�46.01?? N 148�19.28?? W
Making a speed of: 6.6 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 68T
With the wind at: 5 knots from: 021M

4am prop fouled...it will have to wait until morning when we will dive over to clear it; meanwhile we sail at 4 knots. Bummer.

At UTC time:3:40 PM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 29�42.14?? N 148�00.72?? W
Making a speed of: 5.9 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 73T
With the wind at: 6 knots from: 023M

We?? re waiting for the sun, and praying that the wind dies back down before we go over the side to clear the prop. It will be a challenge in any event, much more difficult if it is breezy with seas running; Surprise does not like to stop. Mercifully the breeze we have is carrying us towards the High and SF; we may just wait for the right window for our swim.

8/9/2004: Surprise News At UTC time:12:00 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 29�23.03?? N 149�34.47?? W
Making a speed of: 7.4 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 65T
With the wind at: 3 knots from: 051M

This is almost too much for words - even for me.
Radiant sunrises, more blue water and blue sky than you can possibly imagine if you?? ve never been here,and a zillion stars every night.

Gliding over gentle swells on Surprise under sail gives one an entirely new understanding of Sirens - there is no time but now, here in the middle of nowhere. Even with the steady drone of diesels as our soundtrack, there is this feeling of being suspended in some parallel universe. Think of being in a snow globe before it?? s shaken. (Have I mixed enough metaphors there?)
Except that you go below and there are computers and radar screens, faxes and printers - and Steve just popped a pair of earphones on my head and here I sit typing to the Traveling Wilburys.
Surprise in the middle of the ocean must be the Universal intersection of nature and technology.

Hello? Somebody pinch me. Am I dreaming? Or have I died and gone to heaven?
xo aj8/9/2004: Surprise at Night At UTC time:9:54 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 28�39.80?? N 151�23.67?? W
Making a speed of: 6.7 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 41T
With the wind at: 11 knots from: 071M

Occasionally people will ask if we stop at night; we don?? t. We could do it easily where we are, there is little wind and flat seas and if we just stopped we would be pretty close to where we stopped in the morning. Anchoring is out of the question...we couldn?? t carry enough rope to reach the bottom here, about three miles down.
Tonight has been a glorious light show. In addition to the meteor showers, the constellations are very visible so we have ?The Stars� book on deck with the red headlamp. Turns out that Darryl is a wizard when it comes to stars...picking out clusters in the Milky Way. What an incredible sight.

We?? re motoring and will likely do so for several days to come. The diesel hums along at about 2700 rpm, driving us east at about 7.3 knots; if we can maintain the pace we?? ll be in SF on the 18th.

Back to the heavens.8/9/2004: Surprise Hums... At UTC time:4:25 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 28�22.59?? N 152�02.94?? W
Making a speed of: 6.8 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 35T
With the wind at: 12 knots from: 077M

..when the motor runs. We?? re in the High and winds are down to 4-6, seas flat. Autopilot is on and we are pointed just north of the Gate. Watermaker fired up this evening and works fine; cheers all around. If it didn?? t it would be saltwater bucket bathing for the duration. Crew spends the off watch looking for somewhere cool and quiet...that would be on some other boat, there?? s no place to hide here. Susan?? s IPod is the most desired piece of equipment....turn it up LOUD and the motor can?? t be heard.

Can you tell that motoring is boring?

Aloha8/8/2004: Still Romping Along At UTC time:1:37 PM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 27�16.08?? N 153�12.19?? W
Making a speed of: 7.0 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 33T
With the wind at: 14 knots from: 080M

Last night we had our first real meal; everyone has their sea legs and the seas are pretty mellow. We are 1675 nm from the Gate and continue at the 160 nm pace. We expect to hit the high within the next 24 hours, then it will be earplugs for all as we motor.

First flying fish aboard last night; great shooting stars also. The autopilot is doing the driving and those on watch do just that, watch. The conditions continue to be great...steady breeze and flat seas.

Aloha8/7/2004: Still Going to Weather At UTC time:5:05 AM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 24�00.92?? N 155�23.17?? W
Making a speed of: 7.2 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 39T
With the wind at: 15 knots from: 089M

We?? re still heading north and winds have been 12-22; making good progress. Crew is beginning to spend more time in the galley, but we?? re still shy of our first ?meal.� Forget about the Atkins diet...try one Luna bar in two days. My stomach thinks my throat has been cut. Shower and shave today...perhaps a clean shirt; no one will recognize me.
Not many boats checking in at 9am...two are close to the Gate and we have 1806 miles to go.

Aloha8/6/2004: Here We Go At UTC time:3:00 PM(subtract 7:00 for PDT)
Surprise was at: 22�43.95?? N 156�32.96?? W
Making a speed of: 6.8 knots(1.16 miles/hour) and was heading: 43T
With the wind at: 16 knots from: 087M

We are 100 miles out and slowly getting our sea legs. Conditions are good, steady breeze and good heading; made 80 miles towards SF in the first 12 hours. Otto is driving and we?? re watching.
8/4/2004: Surprise Returns Home Well the return crew is assembled with duffel bags, hats and shirts. Yesterday's arrivals were greeted with the aftermath of hurricane Darby which dumped about 4� of rain between 5pm yesterday and this morning. The sky is clearing and the seas and winds are mellowing. Surprise has fuel, refrigerator running and will get provisions this afternoon when Susan and AJ return from the central commissary (Costco). Did I mention that the contractor starts demolition on the bathroom at 7 tomorrow?

We?? ll be departing tomorrow on the heels of the last of hurricane Darby and likely spend 14 days at sea fishing, reading, sailing and enjoying the wonderful Pacific.

There are several other boats from the race doing the transit around the same time: Morpheus left Monday, California Girl plans on Friday, and Punahele should head east soon. We?? ll keep a radio schedule with the boats on 8A at 9am PDT.

Susan and I are joined by my brother Peter, A.J. Benham and Darryl Divinney; we?? re aiming for first place for the most fun return trip. We hope to be home around 8/19.
Comments
Vessel Name: Surprise
Vessel Make/Model: Schumacher 46
Hailing Port: Richmond, CA.
Crew: Steve and Susan Chamberlin
About: Varies by voyage.
Extra:
Surprise was built in NZ by Davie Norris at Franklin Boatbuilders in Christchurch in 1997. 2 Pacific Cups, Mexico, B.C. and Alaska. Next stop South Pacific. She is a performance cruiser designed by the late Carl Schumacher and, in racing trim, carries a PHRF of 6. Fractional rig, no overlapping [...]
Surprise's Photos - s/v Surprise (Main)
10 Photos
Created 27 June 2008
81 Photos
Created 20 June 2008
No Photos
Created 14 August 2007
15 Photos
Created 14 August 2007
71 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
68 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
48 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 August 2007
38 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
16 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
65 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
32 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 December 2006
24 Photos
Created 1 December 2006