08 November 2008 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
30 October 2008 | Waya Island, Yasawa Group, Fiji
29 October 2008 | Drawaqa Island, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
23 October 2008 | Somo somo Bay, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
21 October 2008 | Blue Lagoon, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
16 October 2008 | Blue Lagoon, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
14 October 2008 | Sawa-i-lau, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
12 October 2008 | Musket Cove, Fiji
09 October 2008 | Vuda Point Marina
11 September 2008 | Vuda Point, Fiji
03 September 2008 | Musket Cove, Fiji
29 August 2008 | Suva
26 August 2008 | Nadi, Fiji
21 August 2008 | Lautoka, Fiji
20 August 2008 | In transit to Fiji
16 August 2008 | Uoleva, Haapai Group, Tonga
11 August 2008 | Lifuka, Haapai Group, Tonga
07 August 2008 | Haafeva, Haapai Group, Tonga
01 August 2008 | Nukualofa

Challenges

07 April 2007 | Hanamenu Bay
Author: Crew
The two HUGE swells I mentioned picked up Surprise and dropped her at about a 45 degree angle on her rudder. OUCH!

The rudder is about like a surfboard, but fabricated with carbon fiber instead of glass; the shaft is 160 layers of carbon, it is very strong. The things attached to the rudder are not as strong and we shattered our steering chain (3/4" wide bicycle type chain), the rudder "stops" (1/4" spectra) and mangled the mount for the autopilot. We had no steering, and no way of knowing when the next wave would arrive.

After a quick relocation to the restricted part of the harbor with our emergency tiller we were able to reconstruct the steering chain and create new "stops," the autopilot will require more substantial efforts. We quickly exited the harbor, dropping off John in the process so he could meet his wife today. We re-anchored outside behind a small island and Susan went in the water to check the condition of the rudder below the water; it appears to be fine. Our heartfelt thanks to the designer and builder for such a sturdy piece.

It will take a week to get replacement parts and try to find a way to get the mangled mount for Otto redone. In retrospect we ignored several signs that should have had us out of the shallow (12') harbor. The swell had been building during the day and 3 of the boats left late in the afternoon; it is pretty unusual to depart late in the afternoon. The waves were 2X the size of any we had seen and there were no more big ones afterwards. We are very lucky the damage wasn't terminal; we are a lot smarter and more humble this evening.

We motored around to the north side of the island where the bays are deep and the south swell is absent; it is hot, dry and lovely. We are in the company of three cats, one from France, two from Quebec, all two years into cruising; seven kids in total. They came by after we anchored with some fresh Wahoo (Ono) after we anchored.

Junior crew remains aboard and in awe, as usual, at the equanimity with which the Captain and the Admiral take things in stride, not to mention report them in such understated tones. The little details they fail to mention add just a little bit of drama to the adventure. For example: it was two in the morning when the Big Ones rolled under us, and Surprise fairly stood on her stern, with white water up to the steering wheel. The next couple of hours were fairly calm until Captain McGivor, wheels always turning, thought to check the steering equipment. Who else do you know would have figured out we had a problem before laying a hand on the wheel? Dawn found us scrambling along with a few other boats. One relayed that the waves had flipped their dinghy and they lost everything on it but motor and fuel. Another's dinghy broke loose completely and by daylight was located between the dredge's pipeline and the shore, with one of it's pontoons deflated. Two boats left stern anchors behind as they scrambled for more protected spots behind the breakwater. On top of all that, believe it or not, at 0600 on the Saturday morning before Easter the local guys working the dredge showed up. They went about their work, which included moving their dredge line. Unfortunately, the spot to which we had reconnoitered Surprise while the amazing steering repair was going on, was just where they needed to be. They circled us politely without a word, doing as much of their work as they could, and then finally approached. I'm sure they were wondering what the #&$*@# was wrong with these #*@& yachtsters who couldn't figure out when it was time to leave. (Oh, did we mention that, along with all the other re-located boats, we were way forward of the markers delineating the proper place for anchoring?) Nonetheless, the workmen were very polite when they finally approached: Susan was ready for them, having rehearsed a few sentences (and gestures) to let them know we had a problem. They simply asked how much longer it would take to fix, and although they got their hopes up a little early when the housing went back on the steering column, they pretty much left us alone til the job was done and we vamoosed. We were sad to have to part so abruptly and unceremoniously with our friend and crewmate John, but all hands agreed that the sooner we were away from the slippery bottom, waves, machinery, and other boats in that harbor, the better. And away we were, all by about 10:15 a.m.! A gentle motor around to a quieter anchorage, some tunafish sandwiches, and a coupla beers later, life in Paradise is looking a little better.
Comments
Vessel Name: Surprise
Vessel Make/Model: Schumacher 46
Hailing Port: Richmond, CA.
Crew: Steve and Susan Chamberlin
About: Varies by voyage.
Extra:
Surprise was built in NZ by Davie Norris at Franklin Boatbuilders in Christchurch in 1997. 2 Pacific Cups, Mexico, B.C. and Alaska. Next stop South Pacific. She is a performance cruiser designed by the late Carl Schumacher and, in racing trim, carries a PHRF of 6. Fractional rig, no overlapping [...]
Surprise's Photos - s/v Surprise (Main)
10 Photos
Created 27 June 2008
81 Photos
Created 20 June 2008
No Photos
Created 14 August 2007
15 Photos
Created 14 August 2007
71 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
68 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
48 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 August 2007
38 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
16 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
65 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
32 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 December 2006
24 Photos
Created 1 December 2006