08 November 2008 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
30 October 2008 | Waya Island, Yasawa Group, Fiji
29 October 2008 | Drawaqa Island, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
23 October 2008 | Somo somo Bay, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
21 October 2008 | Blue Lagoon, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
16 October 2008 | Blue Lagoon, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
14 October 2008 | Sawa-i-lau, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
12 October 2008 | Musket Cove, Fiji
09 October 2008 | Vuda Point Marina
11 September 2008 | Vuda Point, Fiji
03 September 2008 | Musket Cove, Fiji
29 August 2008 | Suva
26 August 2008 | Nadi, Fiji
21 August 2008 | Lautoka, Fiji
20 August 2008 | In transit to Fiji
16 August 2008 | Uoleva, Haapai Group, Tonga
11 August 2008 | Lifuka, Haapai Group, Tonga
07 August 2008 | Haafeva, Haapai Group, Tonga
01 August 2008 | Nukualofa

More Photos

30 April 2007 | Taiohae
Author: Steve & Susan
Photo: This Tiki is holding in his left hand is his war club, his right holds the head of his opponent; quaint art.

We are now at the largest and most developed island of the Marquesas, Nuka Hiva, the setting for Melville's Typee; things have changed since Herman was here, there is WiFi/Internet. As a result, you'll find a collection of photos in the Gallery section at the left margin of the blog and they are under South Pacific 07.

We left Hanamenu Bay, Hiva Oa early Thursday morning hoping to get into Ua Huka in time to hit the town in the afternoon. It was a breezy crossing of 58 miles and Surprise didn't disappoint; we arrived at noon after a 6 hour reach. Unfortunately, the brisk winds that sped us there also made both of the bays very unsuitable for anchorage; too much wind, swell and not enough depth. We ran down wind to Nuka Hiva; along the way our hero Otto the autopilot failed. Arrived in Taiohae Bay at dusk; a long day.

In addition to WiFi, we caught up with the CARE package that Ralf Morgan at KKMI put together for Surprise; lots of goodies, like a new gas strut for the freezer lid (high on the Admiral's list), a new vang, and some brass shim material to replace the rusting feeler gauge blades at the rudder bearing. Almost like Christmas. Otto got some attention and we found the ram, which is the muscle of the system, had died so our spare got installed; Otto's back.

The Admiral flies today to Ua Huka to make sure there are no local artisans that go unmolested. The taxi ride to/from the airport takes about 4 times as long as the flight and costs nearly as much. We'll spend a week or more here on Nuka Hiva exploring the local bays and indulging in the fruits of the urban setting, like vegetables, bakeries, and pizza from a wood fired oven (who would want that job in a place where it is in the 90s during the day?).

"Le weekend" in Nuka Hiva. On Friday morning two charming 12 year olds came by in their dinghy. Molly and Jessie informed us that there was a Saturday morning market at the dock, with vegetables, fish, and their favorite-little chocolate pies with whipped cream. But you had to get their early-it opened at 4:30am and was done by 7:00. Susan slept through the alarm but woke up before 5:00. A quick dinghy ride in to the dock yielded tomatoes, zucchini, croissants, fruit tarts and my favorite-a large head of leaf lettuce. Green salad! It's been a while. Slightly later in the morning we took a walk in the village and visited the small museum. Watched the local canoe races, which took us back to the early days of whitewater racing-lots of volunteers and camaraderie among the competitors. Then had lunch at the BBQ chicken fund raiser, followed by dinner out at a restaurant-two meals out in one day! On Sunday morning Susan got up early again and went to church. It was a lovely service, with lots of song. One guidebook noted that either all Marquesans have wonderful voices, or else they shush the ones that don't. In any case there was loud, joyful and tuneful singing, some of it call and response in male and female voices-by the congregation; the choir was very small. After that a hike up the hill to a restored ceremonial site. Invited Jan, a female single hander on Nerida, over for dinner. All in all a full weekend.
Comments
Vessel Name: Surprise
Vessel Make/Model: Schumacher 46
Hailing Port: Richmond, CA.
Crew: Steve and Susan Chamberlin
About: Varies by voyage.
Extra:
Surprise was built in NZ by Davie Norris at Franklin Boatbuilders in Christchurch in 1997. 2 Pacific Cups, Mexico, B.C. and Alaska. Next stop South Pacific. She is a performance cruiser designed by the late Carl Schumacher and, in racing trim, carries a PHRF of 6. Fractional rig, no overlapping [...]
Surprise's Photos - s/v Surprise (Main)
10 Photos
Created 27 June 2008
81 Photos
Created 20 June 2008
No Photos
Created 14 August 2007
15 Photos
Created 14 August 2007
71 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
68 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
48 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 August 2007
38 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
16 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
65 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
32 Photos
Created 13 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 December 2006
24 Photos
Created 1 December 2006