Okay, Plan B
19 November 2018
Well, our offshore adventure was quite unpleasant and we aborted it and went into Charleston jut before dark. We had one brief period of sailing on a broad reach under sunny skies, reminding us why we love to do it. The wind built, though, and the sea state worsened with wind-driven waves opposing swells, often combining to 5-6 feet and tossing us around uncomfortably. To top it off, it started to rain (unexpectedly) during the final stretch. We barely had time to get into Charleston Harbor and drop the anchor before it got too dark to see, right behind Fort Sumter. We learned 4 things yesterday:
1. NEVER go out of the Georgetown Inlet with winds opposing a mid tide outgoing current. Those brief 5 miles of fretting took about 5 years off my life.
2. High 60s with 18 kts of northerly wind is too cold for sailing any length of time in a boat that is not fully enclosed.
3. We were reminded that sometimes even 4 weather models can all get it wrong.
4. Never anchor behind Fort Sumter unless you enjoy rolling so much you can barely use the head. Forget getting a good night's sleep.
We strongly considered going back out today but the sea state hadn't changed. We had a nice relaxing day enjoying the Stono and Edisto Rivers in the ICW. The forecast worsens as the week goes on, so it looks like we'll stay inside for a while longer...