Sailing Oasis

16 February 2022 | Saint Anne, Martinique
14 December 2021 | Grenada
12 January 2021 | Monticello, NY
01 December 2020 | Monticello, NY
31 August 2020 | Grenada
30 June 2020 | Grenada
17 February 2020 | Portsmouth, Dominica
20 December 2019 | Antigua
29 October 2019 | Grenada
30 April 2019 | Grenada
19 March 2019 | Martinique
13 January 2019 | Antigua
30 November 2018 | Les Saintes, Guadalupe
09 November 2018 | Grenada
01 September 2018 | Monticello, NY
30 June 2018 | Monticello, NY
13 January 2018 | Saint Kitts
05 January 2018 | Monserrat
25 November 2017 | Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
12 November 2017 | St. Lucia

We are here!

22 May 2016 | Solomons, Maryland
Carol
Busy....busy....busy! And we are SO tired.

We arrived in Solomons, Maryland, yesterday around noon, and it's been non-stop. We've been cleaning the boat for two days now, and we are exhausted.

The boat finally went in the water Friday, so we decided to leave Friday night to get a head start. It's a six hour trip. Poor Bob....he had a mediation hearing in White Plains on Friday, came all the way home to Monticello, we loaded up the U-Haul, and headed out around 8 p.m. We stopped about half way, too tired to make it all the way in one night.

But when we pulled into the marina Saturday and FINALLY found "Oasis" in the water, it was all worth it. She is a beautiful boat and to see her in the water...WOW! We began cleaning right away so that we were able to spend the first night aboard. The water tanks were our first priority. When we were on the boat last October, the water had a terrible smell, so we poured a water treatment through the tanks. There are 2 water tanks, totaling 250 gallons, so it takes a long time to empty them completely and fill again. We started the process yesterday, and are on the last rinse through now.

Today we also cleaned the bilge. Not a nice job! There was an oil absorber rag at the bottom of the bilge, it was too far down to reach by hand, so we had to use the boat hook and boat brush to get it out of there. Took us a while, but we finally did it. Disgusting! Then we threw some bilge cleaner down there, cleaned everything around the engine and generator, and filled the bilge with water. This was a good way to test our emergency bilge pump alarm, which worked fine. Good to know!

It's been raining here all weekend, and looks like it's going to continue through tomorrow. But we are busy doing many different jobs on the boat, and with the heat on, it's all good. Then Tuesday, it looks like the weather is going to finally turn around, maybe we'll even get to go for a sail! Yay!

The marina had a get together yesterday for lunch, free food, wine, and beer....how bad can it be? We have wi-fi, which is very strong at the dock, and beautiful, clean, bathrooms and showers. Tonight we are headed to the restaurant here for dinner, then crash early.

Will write again soon!
Comments
Vessel Name: Oasis
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 48 DS
Hailing Port: Solomons, Maryland, USA
Crew: Robert & Carol Gaiman
About:
So, where to begin... Bob and I grew up in different towns in Sullivan County, NY. Even though we didn't know each other growing up, during our teenage years we both spent our weekends on Swinging Bridge Lake boating and waterskiing with our families. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/155458758248740/
Social: