Bumbo

Vessel Name: Bumbo
Vessel Make/Model: Ericson 29
Hailing Port: Oyster Cover Marina, South San Francisco
Crew: Captain Cuddles
About: Captain Cuddles - A hacker/maker and an avid builder of anything. Learning a new skill or trade is just another day, so bring it on.
Extra: When this boat was purchased it was a 43 year old hull and not much else.
23 May 2013 | Oyster Cover Marina
23 May 2013 | Oyster Cover Marina
26 April 2013 | Oyster Cover Marina
Recent Blog Posts
23 May 2013 | Oyster Cover Marina

Major projects order

I have learned a valuable lesson from buying everything up front and not planning the exection. Boats have a finite amount of space and putting all of that stuff on a boat you are trying to completely gut creates no workable space. I am going to spend the weekend pulling off everything but the essentials [...]

23 May 2013 | Oyster Cover Marina

Projects, projects and more projects!

So for the last month I have had a lot going on. I had cancer surgery under my right arm which has halted any project until I am completely healed. So instead I have started buying stuff to start some of the various projects I need to get done.

26 April 2013 | Oyster Cover Marina

I bought a boat!

Today is the day, I finally scheduled a ship surveyor and on his advise that the hull was sound I bought my first boat. She is a beautiful stripped out Ericson 29. This will be my first boat, my first floating money pit, and my first major project of this size and scope.

I bought a boat!

26 April 2013 | Oyster Cover Marina
Cuddles / Clear
Today is the day, I finally scheduled a ship surveyor and on his advise that the hull was sound I bought my first boat. She is a beautiful stripped out Ericson 29. This will be my first boat, my first floating money pit, and my first major project of this size and scope.
Let's start with the survey.
Completed by Alan Hugenot - I would recommend him as he was willing to let me shadow, listen, and learn from him the entire time he was on board. He answered questions and even better offered advise on specific upgrades that would increase value and make the boat more "cruiser friendly". He is located in San Francisco and can be emailed at Alan@captainhugenot.com.

The boat was rated in Fair BUC condition.
Hull and Deck Inspection: Very Good Condition
Instruments and Electronics: No Compass, VHF Radio Dead, Depth Sounder Dead, GPS None, Radar None, Knotmeter Dead, 2nd Compass None .. So nothing really
Safety Equipment: I purchased a flair gun, 4 life jackets, 2 seat PFD's, 1 rechargeable Airhorn, First Aid kit, and Fire Extinguishers within 15 minutes of buying the boat. I still have more to get but this boat really did come with nothing.
Through Hulls: No idea on condition, but I'll assume all bad but water tight so I'm cool with it.
Anchors: 1 22lbs anchor and 1 13lbs anchor, no chain or windlass... not even an actual chain locker.
Rudder and Steering: Tiller, good connection points and the rudder is solid.
Bilge Pump: There is one, but its not automatic and its only about 400GPH (Need major upgrades)
Cabin Interior: Gutted.. The galley came with a sink and a broken refridge that needs to be replaced. No shower, and the head system was designed to dump directly into the cabin.. so yeah. Freshwater system had a holding tank and no working pump. There was no cook top and no oven. The Stern Berth had no cushions and holes were cut into parts of the boat (assumed "stash" spots). The Starburd and Port Berths were bare fiberglass and again had holes cut into the backs as "stash" spots. The V Berth was a fiberglass platform and thats about it. The Bulkheads were in ok shape (the ones that were there). One of the structural bulkheads had been removed by a previous owner.. so that has to be fixed. The overall condition of the interior is ok.. but missing everything.
Mast, Rigging and Sails: The mast is solid and could probably use a paint job really. The Standing Rigging is in good shape with minor corrosion. The Running Rigging is in horrible shape. It looks like the previous owner tried to splice wire and rope for the main halyard and it has broken and been tied together 3-4 times. The Lifelines were ok but there was only 1 level and the newer boats all have 2 or a hard rail. So I'll look into this before cruising but not a pressing matter. The sails were noted as existing and not much else. I am going to have to pull them off the boat onto the hard to look them over and make sure there are no rips or other problems.
Engine: Now for the real bad news. The onboard is a block of metal and nothing more. I am going to have to pull it and look into propulsion methods. Electric Yacht has a pretty good electric motor kit for about 4g. For now there is a 9.9HP outboard from Johnson.. but it looks to be as old as the boat so may not even start up.
Electrical System: Floating Fire Hazzard is probably the only way to describe this boat. The sockets have singe marks, the wire is not marine grade and is showing major signs of death and decay. It isn't gutted, but it should have been 10 years ago. (the boat was hooked up to shore power when I first came aboard - it got unplugged and a single bulb was connected to the batteries to drain them. The entire system needs to be re-engineered to today's standards.
That's it... a floating pile. It's my floating pile and I plan to polish her up into one of the nice 29 footers on the water. She will see the world before her days are done, and I intend to be the one to show it to her.
Comments

About & Links