S/V IRIE II

sponsor of www.pinkphurree.org

29 August 2016
06 August 2016
30 July 2016
20 August 2015 | Ha'Apai Group Tonga
21 July 2015 | Tongatapu, Tonga
18 May 2015 | New Zealand
31 December 2014 | Tongatapu, Tonga
14 November 2014 | revisted 22 years later
06 November 2014
03 September 2014 | It's Never As Good As The First Time
01 September 2014
29 April 2014 | Hawaii
29 October 2013
14 July 2013 | French Polynesia
14 June 2013 | South Pacific
07 June 2013 | In South Pacific

Trying to Leave Texas

16 January 2013
Red sky in the morning, sailors warning?
I tried to leave Texas but this what happens when you listen to everyone who say "pick a date and go." Well my date was Jan 15th. I cut the dock lines, left a bunch of stuff on the dock for my neighbors to fight over or throw away. Then Capt. Al and the navigator Capt. Bill and crew Maria headed out of Watergate with an outgoing tide, thanks to the north wind. If we waited any longer there might not be enough water to get out of the marina at the rate the tide was dropping.

Unfurled the jib to the second reef point when we cleared the Kemah channel, didn't need anything else except the engine. Wanted to run it for awhile to make sure she was up to the task with no leaks, no runs, and no errors. We where only doing 6kts thru the water, but speed over ground or GPS speed was 8+ thanks to the tide. Once a few miles down the Houston Ship Chanel SOG was hitting the 9's. We were riding a 3kt current, and this old boat can only do 7.3kts max STW. Made it to Galveston in record time, less then 4 hrs. Did I mention the wind was out of the north at 20+kt?

While in the middle of the Galveston jetties it was time to raised the main but we didn't want to turn around into the 25kt wind to do it. So we got in the lee of an anchored ship and the wind drop enough to get it up, stop at the 2nd reef point, we wouldn't need anything more in these conditions. Engine off.

The only thing I hate more than a weather man who is always wrong is when one is right. For the past few days they had predicted fair weather for the crossing. It was going to be ruff but doable. Just as we passed the end of the jetties the Galveston Coast Guard came on the VHF radio with a urgent weather message. Winds strong, Waves Big, Small craft warnings, Small craft should remain in port, Inexperience crew should not be in the Gulf of Mexico for the next couple of days. Did he see us? If he wouldn't have said anything about crew we might have turn around. Two 100 ton USCG liscense Captains, one with at least 3 dozen gulf crossing, me I've done it at least a half dozen times. Maria at least once. We made a departure date and damn it we're sticking to it.

Then at 2130 and 60nm from the jetties, the only smart person on the boat (Otto the autopilot) decided he wasn't going to steer the boat in these conditions. Winds 30kts. following seas at least 20ft tall. Well couldn't see them for the darkness but they where so big that the boat would surf down one just to slam into the one forward of us making the bow sprit go underwater, when it done that the wave engulf the boat with sea spray or more like a dump truck full of water being pour on us.

I was trying to get a nap before it was my turn to watch them waves when Bill hollowed for assistants. My first dumb question was do I need to put on my foulies first? In those conditions you suppose to sleep ready roll. Don't have time to get dress. Problem Otto couldn't or wouldn't hold the course. Drop the mainsail to see if that would help, nothing doing. Emptied out the port lazerette and crawled down that small hole to see what might be wrong with Otto. Otto was find but the shear pin on the quadrant to the shaft sheared. Damn I thought I fixed that the last time it sheared by adding another pin. I had a couple of pins just in case this happen but it would be impossible to make repairs in these conditions.

Decision time - Maria was seasick, couldn't keep a swallow of water down. Dehydration setting in. I wasn't feeling that great either, but dinner was still down. Bill? A good captain will never admit it. The USCG report said that these conditions was going to last for the next 48hrs. And with Otto on strike and with no one else wanting to steer the boat for the next 600mi. we decided to turn it around.

Now instead of a deep broad reach we were headed straight into the wind and those monster waves. All sails down and Buddha, the Kubota engine, at full rpm's we were doing 1-2 kts, and sometimes going backwards when trying to climb over those 20ft waves. Otto was managing this okay, unless we got sideways to one of them monsters. When we did make it to the top of one of them monsters the bow was pointing up towards the north star. What goes up must come down and when it did it went underwater, we were now in a submarine. Did I mention a dumb truck full of water being pour on us every time this happen. This was better then any E-ticket ride at Disneyland. That bow light was still shining and them anchors was still in place and those fuel tanks was still on the rail, except for the dinghy gas can. It was still tied to the rail but any minute now it'll be in the sea.

After sunup I decided to put out the staysail/stormsail. Boat speed picked up to 5kts. In the wrong direction but we were moving. Boat was still overpowered for Otto to handle so I reefed the stailsail. Speed still good but leeway was greater. At this rate we would make it to Corpus Christi instead of Galveston. When Bill came on watch he decided we didn't want to go to CC and rolled up the staysail and put Buddha back to work. Slow progress but at least we headed in the right direction.

On Wed. at 1930 we pulled into the Galveston Yacht Basin. Tied up to what we thought was South Coast Sailing's slip (sailing school where I use to teach at). Bill and Maria called a taxi to take them back to Clear Lake. I found that bottle of rum that Jessie gave me for special occasions. Back in one piece seem like the right time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Irie II
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 37 Mk II, 1981 #284
Hailing Port: Raywood Texas
Crew: Frank Al
About: Frank pays for everything and Al has all the fun.
Irie II's Photos - Main
New Zealand
2 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
158 Photos
Created 8 November 2015
35 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2015
39 Photos
Created 9 August 2015
8 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 8 November 2014
46 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 23 July 2014
35 Photos
Created 23 July 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 3 April 2014
Tahiti, Moorea, Tahaa, Raiatea, Huahini, Bora Bora,
3 Photos | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 29 March 2014
Pictures of the Marquesas, Fatu Hiva, Tahuata, Hiva Oa, Oa Pou, Nuku Hiva, Fakarava.
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 7 November 2013
48 Photos | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 21 May 2013
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 21 May 2013
72 Photos
Created 21 May 2013
79 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 18 May 2013
125 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 11 May 2013
19 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2013
69 Photos
Created 19 March 2013
48 Photos
Created 7 March 2013
125 Photos
Created 6 March 2013
18 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 6 March 2013
7 Photos
Created 6 March 2013
125 Photos
Created 6 March 2013
52 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 January 2013
96 Photos
Created 30 January 2013
From the WYC to Galveston Jetties
17 Photos
Created 28 January 2013
Testing windvane in Galveston Bay.
27 Photos
Created 8 December 2012
before leaving texas
5 Photos
Created 25 November 2012