25 March 2016 | Long Key
We decided to give it another day at FM Beach since the winds were gusting to 30 knots and we hadn’t sailed the new rig yet. I didn’t want to be out adjusting the shrouds in 30 knots. Anyway we got up on Tuesday and topped off the fuel at Ballard’s and headed south.
We had a great sail until Marco Island and then the wind swung into the southeast and freshened to 20 knots and we had to bang into it for about 8 hours until it finally settled down around 2 AM. It was a motorsail the rest of the way past Cape Sabal and under the Everglades to the anchorage here at Long Key. They call this spot the Jewfish Hole and it’s a nice spot to wait for weather to cross over to the islands.
We got here Wednesday at around noon and have been waiting for the wind to settle down and for some thunderstorms to pass before heading out. It looks like we have a window to move tonight, so we plan to leave here this afternoon and get out passed the reef before dark and then head across the Gulf Stream. I’m not sure yet whether we’ll go to Bimini or Cat Cay. I had forgotten that this is Easter weekend, so Bimini will probably be full. With that in mind we may head to Cat and either check in there or on to Chub Cay and check in there. We’ll see how it goes. Fingers crossed for a calm and smooth crossing.