27 March 2016 | Bimini
We pulled the anchor and headed through the Marker Five bridge at around 4 PM. The wind was light out of the south and as we went out passed the reef and into the ocean, it died completely. As we motored on the wind filled in out of the southeast and on our nose. With the current in the Gulf Stream, even though our course was between 70 and 80 degrees, we were pointed at 100 degrees. It was a motor sail all night and bouncy, but as we made it to the other side we headed more northeast and the sailing and ride became more tolerable. Lots of ship traffic around to keep life interesting.
We came into the inlet at Bimini around 9AM and were tied up at Brown’s Dock by 10:00. After the usual paper shuffle at Customs and Immigration (not to mention a large cash outlay) we set about trying to find a phone SIM. No luck however, as the only store open was out of cards and the Batelco office is closed till Tuesday. I guess we’ll wait until we get to Staniel Cay to try again.
Our plan is to head out today across the banks if the wind lays down as fore cast this afternoon. We’ll try to make it overnight to West Bay on New Providence or if we feel good and the weather and timing are right we could continue on to the Exumas.
So far, all’s well.
The picture is Molly at Big John's with her Conch Fritters