Pacific Transit 2013 to Asia and Thailand 2016

We spent 2014 in Fiji, 2015 in New Zealand and 2016 in Malaysia and Thailand. Always Saturday was sold in 2016 in Malaysia

BORA BORA

Another opinion....

With such a wonderful reputation...Bora Bora was something that I had very little information about and never had lusted about the destination spot. Ron on the other hand had always dreamed about going there and so we did.

The sail was another topic but the island itself was nothing special but the water was clean and the most beautiful shade of green and turquoise.The small town or village was third world country. The very high end resort hotels have marketed this island as [s] being the end all of end all's. And rightly so. The hotels have built beautiful accommodations with the price tag to match. Tiki huts built on the water and all the luxury that one can think of and well as the view to match. This is special as long as you stay on the paradise island and don't bother to go to town. Town by the way was filled with dirt roads and tons of expensive black pearl shops...with nobody shopping.

My thoughts are that the economy has affected this area like many tourist destination spots...and the vacancy rate is quite high.

We anchored off the Hilton Resort and of course took our dinghy to tie off to their beautiful dock only to be spotted by the security guard who asked if we were guests at the hotel. Like do we look like guests... boat clothes, backpack for the camera and stains on our Tshirts. Go figure.... After much conversation with the manager via the security guard...in French of course, I was asked if I could speak with the manager and STATE our intentions. Of course, we were here to dine at their beautiful restaurant but no we didn't have reservations. Like no body is here and reservations are hardly necessary. Okay, restaurant (as per manager) is full but could we have a drink at the bar. Yes, of course, but we have to be off the island at 1900. No problem we can do that.... and thank you so much.

We walked around the resort area and noticed how lovely the racked sand looked and the chaise lounges were arranged perfectly. The umbrellas were closed and who uses this place. We also noticed solar panels on the roofs of the Tike huts which we think powers on the lights inside just to give the appearance of somebody being inside. How cleaver...these hotels really know how to do it.

So we are off to Suwarrow for a bit of paradise...that everyone talks about.

From the Crew of Always Saturday

Comments