Pacific Transit 2013 to Asia and Thailand 2016

We spent 2014 in Fiji, 2015 in New Zealand and 2016 in Malaysia and Thailand. Always Saturday was sold in 2016 in Malaysia

New Zealand In Summer

We've been here now about two months and have been learning the lay of the land. The country is beautiful. Verdant volcanic mountains and rich farmlands and forests. The country was all forest until the forresters started exporting wood. Massive amounts of land were cleared, stumps burned and farmland planted or saved for grazing cattle. The meat and dairy business here is booming and we have been eating NZ beef and dairy products throughout the Pacific.
Almost everything in NZ is expensive especially the products they export. There are no discounts for locals. There seems to be a mindset that everyone accepts the high prices. We have learned that anyone can purchase items through Amazon.com (at maybe 50 percent of the cost and if it's greater than 125 dollars ship free to NZ) but the New Zealanders are content to pay the extraordinary prices (for us) and drive without reservation with gasoline above $7.00 dollars per gallon.
The only items that for us are cheap are used cars. The exported vehicles from Japan are not taxed and we bought a 1994 Honda for about 2500 NZ dollars. The car's a cream-puff...maybe... we'll see when we travel around next month.
We are most impressed by the integrity of the New Zealanders that we have done business with. There is a work ethic that is reminiscent of the 1950s in the US. Additionally, there is an honesty and generosity that is greatly appreciated and we are not accustomed to, coming from the USA. The people are laid back friendly and helpful. The quality of workmanship is excellent and everyone is courteous and punctual.
We drove about 45 mins north of Opua and visited Whrangaroa Harbor. We did a special hike up to a 360 degree summit that offered spectacular views of the whole cruising area. It was filled with nooks and crannies with coves to anchor wherever you were. Well protected anchorages throughout and plenty of seafood for any fisherman to catch. We hope to bring the boat up there when we complete our land cruising and spend several weeks exploring the area. This is just one of many such jewels to explore.

More to follow.
From the Crew of Always Saturday

Comments