S.V. "Bliss"

30 March 2008 | La Cruz
10 March 2008 | Barra de Navidad
05 March 2008 | Barra de Navidad
05 March 2008 | Barra de Navidad
15 February 2008 | Chacala N 21� 09.835" W, 105�, 13.632"
07 February 2008 | Mazatlan Harbor
07 February 2008 | Sea of Cortez
07 February 2008 | N 26 46.34" W 110 32.58" Sea of Cortez
02 February 2008 | San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
30 January 2008 | San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
29 January 2008 | San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
29 January 2008 | San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Beware the Invisible Nets

15 February 2008 | Chacala N 21� 09.835" W, 105�, 13.632"
Sunny, pleasant
Photo: These fishermen appear to be simply walking along the beach but they've spread yards of pale green netting for mending. Someone rigged a gill net like this right in the way of the dinghy landing today.

With our Canadian friends from "Sol Mate" we dinghied ashore and trudged up the beach to Chico's for dinner. Next time I'll have fish, it was much better than the overcooked shrimp in diablo sauce. It was one of my wishes, to wander through Chacala at night, and I'm glad I did.

This morning "Sol Mate" and "Bliss" parted company, with a last-minute flurry of goodbyes, picture-taking and promises to stay in touch. They wanted to get to Punta Mita, closer to Puerto Vallarta, so their son Simon could catch a bus to the airport tomorrow afternoon. Maybe we'll meet again in the La Cruz anchorage or Nuevo Vallarta marina.

We decided we've moved fast enough and it's time to slow down. Chacala could be the perfect stop: we're tucked into the calmest part of the bay, near the panga dock and the dinghy landing in the northern corner. There's even wifi in the anchorage!

But no more trips ashore in the dinghy after dark. Early this morning a fisherman rigged a gill net in the approach to the dinghy landing, and his first catch was our dinghy. With both dogs aboard looking longingly back to shore, and me standing on the beach unable to help but reluctant to walk away--what if a dog jumped off and needed to be fished out?--the Capt hung off the side of the dinghy and pulled all the little nylon fibers off the propellor blades, one at a time. These nets are impossible to see in the water in daylight, all the more invisible at night.


Comments
Vessel Name: Bliss
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 33 Out Island
Hailing Port: San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
Crew: Jim, Bliss, Sofia and Chica
About: We're from California, have lived in Mexico two years, and sail yearly down the coast exploring other possible locations. But we won't be moving anytime soon, as we have a second, larger project boat that will require a couple years of rehabilitation before she's ready to sail: The Green Flash

Crew of the S/V Bliss

Who: Jim, Bliss, Sofia and Chica
Port: San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico