Cruising with Cadenza

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special." Steel Magnolias

26 February 2023
06 July 2022 | Off the coast of Massachusetts
17 April 2022
17 February 2022 | Barra de Navidad
01 February 2022 | Barra de Navidad
08 January 2022 | Banderas Bay
18 December 2021 | Nuevo Vallarta
14 December 2021 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
15 April 2021 | Chincoteague Island
11 January 2021 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
04 August 2020 | Katama Bay
09 May 2020 | Martha's Vineyard
24 April 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
14 April 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
07 April 2020 | Martha's Vineyard
30 March 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
06 February 2020
03 February 2020 | Chamela Bay, Mexico
28 December 2019 | Havana, Cuba
21 December 2019 | Havana, Cuba

Choices

19 September 2013
Terri Potts-Chattaway
September 19, 2013

It all started with a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich. But that got me to thinking. I started thinking about habits and the choices we make. And the ones we don't.

We have been in San Diego (or should I say, Point Loma, to be exact) for over a week now. Shortly after we arrived, our friends, Cindy and Bruce, drove our car down for us. Since then we have been scouting the area, checking out the stores and finding what's around.

We found the marine stores, of course, and the Home Depot and Ace Hardware. (Wow! The Ace Hardware employees down here are great. They are friendly and super helpful. Service must be back in style.) We also found the Ralphs, Starbucks, and the Trader Joes.

So when we took off yesterday morning for a cup of coffee and a bite to eat, I naturally assumed we were headed for Starbucks. But then Jay proposed the question.

"Would you like to go to Starbucks or try that little cafe down the street - the one we went to last year with Bobbi and Don?"

"œThe little cafe!"€ I said. (I was feeling adventurous.)

Off we went to The Living Room, a coffee house and eatery just off the quiet end of Rosecrans Street. I am thinking this part of the street used to be a neighborhood with homes, not shops and restaurants like it is now, because The Living Room looked like someone's house turned into a cafe. (Hence the name, The Living Room, I suppose.) It was the lone hold-out on a street filled with strip-mall like buildings. It was a unique building in that it had charm.

This historic landmark (as it turns out) had an outside porch along the sidewalk where one could sit and sip coffee and people watch. Then a few steps up a flight of stairs and you arrived on the first floor in a room with a serving counter, the kitchen and a few tables. If you moseyed on to the back area, I think this is what must have been the living room and it was filled with more tables and chairs, more like a dining room now. Jay said there was a second floor, as well, but I didn't notice. A good enough reason to go back and explore further.

The Living Room had atmosphere and style. It had a quaint cottage-like feel, making us feel more like we were somebody's guest in their home rather than a number in a cold, corporate building. Which got me to thinking...Why did we search out all those chain stores and restaurants?

I claimed we were cruising to new ports to find out about the people and culture. I frequently complain about the strip malls all over America. I call them Anywhere USA. Every shopping center has a Bed Bath and Beyond, a Home Depot, a Target, A Ross, etc. You get the picture. And honestly, you could be anywhere in the United States when you step into one of these stores. (One of the reasons I love Martha's Vineyard so much is we don't have the Anywhere USA strip malls.) So why then, when we came to our first port with the use of a car, did I search out exactly what I claimed I was trying to escape from?!

Was I programmed? Was it the comfort of familiarity that drew me there? Whatever it was, I saw myself as a mindless robot going places and doing things without much thought. I just went. Are there outside influences that keep leading me to these places? Was it advertising? Group consciousness? Or had I simply forgotten how to think for myself?

It's scary when you think about it. Similar to the Hollywood Syndrome. Everyone knows that Hollywood knows what makes a "€œperfect"€ woman. Just ask any teenager. The perfect woman has straight, pearly white teeth and full lips. Her skin is shiny, lifted and tight with no blemishes. She has a small nose, big boobs, her waist is tiny and her body is skinny. This is the new mantra and our plastic surgeons are getting rich nipping and tucking and molding everyone to look the same. Boring! And yes, frightening, because wasn't that part of Hitler's plan, to tell the world what the "€œperfect"€ race was?

But I digress.

So there we were standing at the counter looking over the menu, getting ready to place our order. Secretly I was excited at the prospect of not only being in a new place, but maybe their menu would offer something new, as well. I was reading through it when the cashier mentioned that there were two specials; one was a burrito, the other a breakfast sandwich. Only this sandwich had egg, ham, Swiss cheese, and pesto on a croissant. Now here was something new. A slightly different take on the traditional. But pesto? In the morning? Really?

I looked back at the menu looking for something else that was original, but slightly less exotic. My eyes kept darting back to the same old, same old, breakfast sandwich. The only choice was which kind of meat you wanted and it was served on a bagel. Boring. But I was tempted. What is it with such habits?

Suddenly, I realized Jay had finished ordering and all eyes were on me. It was time to make a decision and I felt the pressure.

"œUm...Uh...I'll take the breakfast special, the croissant!"€ I said quickly before I changed my mind. There. I did it! I broke the mold and went with something new and different.

And I was glad I did because it was delicious. But I must confess. When it came time to order coffee, I went with my old standby, a mocha.

Some habits are just not worth breaking.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cadenza
Vessel Make/Model: Hardin 45' Ketch
Hailing Port: Malibu, California
Crew: Jay Chattaway, Terri Potts-Chattaway
About: Jay has owned Cadenza for over 20 years. He originally bought her in La Paz, Mexico (known as Mercury One and before that as Mar y Vent) and brought her up to the Channel Islands. Terri fell in love with sailing and Cadenza over ten years ago and she has been a labor of love ever since.
Extra:
The Plan: We are to leave Channel Islands Harbor the beginning of September, 2013 and head to San Diego for a few months of prep and family time. Next, we leave for La Paz (we love it there) the beginning of November. We will winter out of La Paz, exploring the Sea of Cortez. This is the first [...]
Cadenza's Photos - Main
13 Photos
Created 21 February 2019
15 Photos
Created 19 February 2017
13 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
12 Photos
Created 5 January 2017
16 Photos
Created 27 December 2016
14 Photos
Created 5 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 28 March 2016
25 Photos
Created 28 March 2016
10 Photos
Created 27 March 2016
13 Photos
Created 17 March 2016
7 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
13 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
11 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
12 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
15 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
7 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
4 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
12 Photos
Created 26 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 13 February 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
6 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
16 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
La Paz to Mazatlan
12 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
13 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
12 Photos
Created 18 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
10 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
11 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
17 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
18 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
12 Photos
Created 9 January 2014
16 Photos
Created 9 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 2 January 2014
24 Photos
Created 30 December 2013
10 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
9 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
10 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
8 Photos
Created 21 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 20 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 17 December 2013
13 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
19 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
15 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
13 Photos
Created 14 November 2013
15 Photos
Created 11 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
25 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
13 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
26 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
11 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
11 Photos
Created 7 October 2013
11 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
9 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 11 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2013