Cruising with Cadenza

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special." Steel Magnolias

26 February 2023
06 July 2022 | Off the coast of Massachusetts
17 April 2022
17 February 2022 | Barra de Navidad
01 February 2022 | Barra de Navidad
08 January 2022 | Banderas Bay
18 December 2021 | Nuevo Vallarta
14 December 2021 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
15 April 2021 | Chincoteague Island
11 January 2021 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
04 August 2020 | Katama Bay
09 May 2020 | Martha's Vineyard
24 April 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
14 April 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
07 April 2020 | Martha's Vineyard
30 March 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
06 February 2020
03 February 2020 | Chamela Bay, Mexico
28 December 2019 | Havana, Cuba
21 December 2019 | Havana, Cuba

Back in the USA

13 May 2014
Terri Potts-Chattaway
The above photo is an impromtu potluck dinner organized by our friends to celebrate our return.

April 26, 2014

It has only been a month since we arrived in the states and already Mexico seems like a lifetime past. I have heard that the magic number for cruisers to get hooked is 18 months. Once a cruiser hits that pivotal point, he/she either continues cruising for a unspecified period of time, or decides they miss their previous life, sell the boat and head back home. We spent eight months; from August, 2013 through March, 2014 on our first leg, and already I am hooked. So much so, that re-entry, as Jay likes to call it, has been a bit more difficult than anticipated.

There are a few ways to get back to the states from La Paz. You can drive, provided you have a car to begin with. You can take a bus. Or, you can fly. (I suppose you could sail your boat back too, but that wasn't an option for us.) We chose to fly. Here we had two options. One was to take the shuttle, about a three-hour drive, and fly out of Cabo San Lucas to San Diego. The other choice was to leave directly from La Paz Airport, only a twenty minute drive from the marina. Only there are no direct flights to San Diego anymore. United Airlines discontinued the only La Paz to San Diego flight just last month. Therefore, the only choice from the La Paz Airport was on the Mexican Airlines, Volaris. Volaris flights are very reasonable. But it only flies within Mexico. This meant we would fly to Tijuana, disembark, catch a shuttle to the border, get dropped off, walk across the border, and then catch another shuttle which would take us either to the San Diego train station or airport. All this while lugging three suitcases, two backpacks filled with heavy electronics, an extra carry-on and a bag full of ceramic gifts.

The flight, itself, was uneventful. Actually, it was first-rate. It was a two-hour trip with good weather. The plane took off and landed on time. The Mexican flight attendants were extremely professional and quite attractive, too. A class act in their just-above-the-knee fuchsia dresses, adorned with light green silk scarves, complete with matching flight caps and shoes - reminiscent of the 1960's airline era. Each wore their black hair tied neatly into a bun. Even their make-up, using colors to coordinate with their clothes, matched in perfect symmetry.

Getting on the airline was no different than what we would expect in the states. It was when we stood in front of the baggage rail that I became confused. Four airlines arrived at once and by the time our luggage whirled around on the carriage, the line to exit was over two hundred people deep. Jay and I waited our turn, not so patiently, and were perplexed as to what would be taking so long. Evidently, going through security to get on the plane wasn't enough. Now we had to go through another security check just to leave the building. ( For what purpose, I wondered?) In addition to the x-ray machines, they randomly picked people and searched their luggage. It was over an hour later when we finally stepped out into the city of Tijuana only to be greeted by a cacophony of noise and a sea of people going in every direction. Following the signs, we turned right and were instantly swept up in the tide of human movement. Trying not to lose one another, we headed to the Volaris shuttle station, about a block away.

The shuttle was an easy ride that took us around the bumper to bumper traffic through a special lane. Walking through customs that day turned out to be a mere thirty minute venture. All was going well. Then, when the customs' agent said, "Welcome home." I looked at Jay in bewilderment. Home? Where is home?

I have lived in Mexico for the last five months and fell in love. I love the people, the culture, the music. I especially love their sense of humor and their warmth. I always felt welcome in their country. But here was my compatriot welcoming me home. And he was right. America is my home and I love it too. Still, I couldn't help but be a bit disgruntled with the fast pace of life waiting for me on the other side of the border.

After traveling an average of six knots, driving 65 miles an hour was a bit of a shock. But it is more than the physical fast pace. It is the bombardment of information that clutters the mind with everyone else's thoughts but my own. The radio, the news, iPads and iPhones, etc. It's not even that I can turn them off, because there are televisions everywhere I go; waiting rooms, restaurants, airport lounges, and even (if you are in New York) on the streets! And each screen has something different on it with text and dialogue and visuals. Am I supposed to read it, or watch it, or listen to it? And which monitor should I watch? Should I watch the soccer game, or basketball? Or maybe the news?

This morning I was sitting with Jay at the breakfast table at our hotel in Roswell. We were having a conversation, or should I say, trying to have a conversation, but there was a television on with the morning news. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the images and was distracted. I snuck a peak at the TV but I couldn't really hear it all that well because of the noise in the room. Curious, I began to read the text at the bottom of the screen but it had nothing to do with the picture I was seeing. Meanwhile, Jay was talking to me but I hadn't heard a word of what he said. Nor did I have any idea what the news story was about!

Do I really need minute to minute details of a car chase? Or the opinions of the political pundits dissecting every move our government makes - or doesn't? Who made them judge and jury? The gory details of the latest murder only provides me with nightmares. And I certainly don't need to know if Kim Kardasian is getting married or gaining weight.

Something is definitely wrong with this picture. We listen and hear the voices of others with no interaction. We are told what to think, the best places to go and all about the newest, greatest gadget we just have to buy. We bury our heads in iPads and iPhones, watching everyone else's life experiences through a screen while our own world around us, escapes, unnoticed.

But I digress.

There has been much joy coming home, as well. The joy of spending time with family and friends. We spent spring break in San Diego with Jay's children and grandchildren, visiting parks and eating ice cream. (I think we visited every ice cream and yogurt store in Mira Mesa.) We went to Oxnard to see our friends. We hadn't told anyone we were coming, It was Opening Day for our local yacht clubs and it was a great surprise when we walked through the door. So much fun.

Next we went back to Tubac where we visited with my mom while my brother and Michael went off to Hawaii for two weeks. Mom continues to decline; her body now as much as her mind. But she still knows both Jay and me and for that we are grateful. There were many bittersweet moments but all in all it is a great joy and privilege to still have her in our lives.

And now we are on our way home (our other home) to Martha's Vineyard. A second road trip across country. I am excited. Jay, not so much. "It is a big country," he says, "and we will be traveling in a small car. Besides, we just did this two years ago."

"I know, but just think of it as another adventure."

Just then, the TV got my attention again. Severe weather warnings for rain, hail and tornadoes - and we were heading right for it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cadenza
Vessel Make/Model: Hardin 45' Ketch
Hailing Port: Malibu, California
Crew: Jay Chattaway, Terri Potts-Chattaway
About: Jay has owned Cadenza for over 20 years. He originally bought her in La Paz, Mexico (known as Mercury One and before that as Mar y Vent) and brought her up to the Channel Islands. Terri fell in love with sailing and Cadenza over ten years ago and she has been a labor of love ever since.
Extra:
The Plan: We are to leave Channel Islands Harbor the beginning of September, 2013 and head to San Diego for a few months of prep and family time. Next, we leave for La Paz (we love it there) the beginning of November. We will winter out of La Paz, exploring the Sea of Cortez. This is the first [...]
Cadenza's Photos - Main
13 Photos
Created 21 February 2019
15 Photos
Created 19 February 2017
13 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
12 Photos
Created 5 January 2017
16 Photos
Created 27 December 2016
14 Photos
Created 5 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 28 March 2016
25 Photos
Created 28 March 2016
10 Photos
Created 27 March 2016
13 Photos
Created 17 March 2016
7 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
13 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
11 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
12 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
15 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
7 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
4 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
12 Photos
Created 26 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 13 February 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
6 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
16 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
La Paz to Mazatlan
12 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
13 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
12 Photos
Created 18 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
10 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
11 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
17 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
18 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
12 Photos
Created 9 January 2014
16 Photos
Created 9 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 2 January 2014
24 Photos
Created 30 December 2013
10 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
9 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
10 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
8 Photos
Created 21 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 20 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 17 December 2013
13 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
19 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
15 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
13 Photos
Created 14 November 2013
15 Photos
Created 11 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
25 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
13 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
26 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
11 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
11 Photos
Created 7 October 2013
11 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
9 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 11 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2013