Cruising with Cadenza

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special." Steel Magnolias

26 February 2023
06 July 2022 | Off the coast of Massachusetts
17 April 2022
17 February 2022 | Barra de Navidad
01 February 2022 | Barra de Navidad
08 January 2022 | Banderas Bay
18 December 2021 | Nuevo Vallarta
14 December 2021 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
15 April 2021 | Chincoteague Island
11 January 2021 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
04 August 2020 | Katama Bay
09 May 2020 | Martha's Vineyard
24 April 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
14 April 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
07 April 2020 | Martha's Vineyard
30 March 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
06 February 2020
03 February 2020 | Chamela Bay, Mexico
28 December 2019 | Havana, Cuba
21 December 2019 | Havana, Cuba

Girls Just Want to Have Fun

29 January 2016
January 15, 2016

It was two days before our friend, Gail, was to arrive and I was going over the activities I thought she would like to do. Jay and I were sitting across from one another at the salon table.

"She arrives Wednesday around 5:00 pm. We are going to meet her in the hotel lobby. It's happy hour so we can have a few drinks and then go back to the boat for dinner. I'm making Chicken Mole. Thursday, I was thinking we could just lie around the beach. Or maybe, we could go to the Botanical Gardens that day."

"Do you really think she wants to travel on three buses and walk through the Botanical Gardens the day after flying all the way from Boston?" Jay asked me.

"No. You're right. We'll just go lie at the beach and relax. Catch up." I continued with my train of thought, "Okay, so Friday is the Women Who Sail luncheon. Saturday is the first Vallarta Cup race. Sunday I want to take her to Los Arroyos Verdes for a SPA day. That leaves Monday and Tuesday for a trip to the Botanical Gardens and a sail."

"Stop! Stop planning Terri! Let's just see how it goes. We're not supposed to be on a schedule."

I backed down. We are cruisers, after all. We make plans and then the wind changes direction. However, the week did sort of pan out according to my non-schedule.

Our first day together was spent with us girls at the beach, lying on the chaise lounges provided by the hotel. Books and magazines, water bottles and lots of sunblock adorned the table between us. It was a lazy day which ended with dinner on the boat.

We spent a second day on the beach and then passed on the Women Who Sail Luncheon in favor of dinner with friends at the Marival Resort. There they have a restaurant on the top floor overlooking the bay. We arrived for sunset and were pleased to find they had a special offer. For $299 pesos we could have either two cocktails or three glasses of wine and three tapas plates. With the dollar strong here in Mexico that equates to a mere $17.50 per person. Quite a deal. And delicious too.

Saturday was the first race of The Vallarta Cup and so Gail was introduced to the workings of a committee boat. It was slightly overcast which was a welcome respite when you spend the entire day out at sea. Upon returning, there was a party at VYC with dinner and dancing.

Sunday, I took Gail to Los Arroyos Verdes, a hidden gem in the Bucerias valley. I guess you might call it a resort, Mexican style. Several years ago, Lupe, who is the owner, bought the property which consists of several acres. She is both an architect and chef, among other attributes, and is responsible for the design. On site are 40 casitas (some one bedroom, some two bedroom) all with kitchens and a living area. They are for rent by day, week, month or year. The grounds are beautifully groomed with paths that lead through gardens. It sits by a farm and in the mornings you can hear the goats and roosters, a charming addition to the aura of the place, which encourages a peaceful existence and living in concert with the land. There is a pool which has a platform in the middle. That platform provides a perfect center stage for musicians while the audience can either sit alongside the pool or swim around the performers. Every Sunday, Los Arroyos Verdes hosts a band and Lupe invites the cruisers to visit for the afternoon to swim, listen to the live music and enjoy a meal at her pool-side restaurant and bar. Being the smart business woman she is, she also offers free rides both to and from both La Cruz Marina and Paradise Village. All she suggests is we tip the driver generously - a fair trade.

Gail and I arranged for a sixty-minute Aromatherapy massage for the cost of $600 pesos. Again, quite the deal as this translates to a little over $35. It is a small, one-woman, SPA. Nothing fancy. But the massage therapist was excellent and we had no complaints. The rest of the afternoon was spent swimming and enjoying the music. To my surprise and delight, the performers were two members of the group, Luna Rumba; Cheko Ruiz - lead vocals and rhythm guitar, and Alex Gonzales - percussion. After just one song, Gail could see why we love this band.

Monday we went on an epic journey. We took four buses, walked ten miles (Jay had on his Fitbit) and one cab before the day ended. The first bus we chose was the correct bus only we got off at the wrong stop. Having to walk a few blocks to catch the next bus turned out to fun. We got to view some side streets of Puerto Vallarta that we had never seen before. We walked by the sports park where there were lots of people working out, getting their daily exercise. We turned south and headed toward the Romantic Zone. We passed a few taco carts and nearly tripped on a dog. We said hello to an old woman walking on the sidewalk. I commented on her pretty attire. She had on a long white and blue skirt and blouse to match. A shawl draped across her shoulders. She smiled and said something in Spanish and then lifted her shawl to show us her necklace. It was Jesus wrapped up in a leathery package and she wore it over her heart. I smiled and nodded back as if I understood. After she went on her way, Jay explained to me that she had some sort of heart condition and therefore kept Jesus close to her heart to protect her from illness. Just about then we walked past a large open window (no screen) and door to its side. I stopped and backed up.

"Look!" I said, causing Jay and Gail to stop too. "He is making a stained glass window." It was about six feet by three feet long and lay on a table top.

"How many hours did it take to make this?" Gail asked. He looked confused. "Cuanto horas?" I asked in my limited Spanish. "Veinte dias." He replied. "Twenty days." I repeated. "Twenty days? Wow." Gail murmured, clearly impressed.

We wandered into his shop which was really his home. Inside Gail found a much smaller piece of stained glass. The colors created a moon scene. She purchased this telling me that moons always remind her of her husband, Dave, who passed away several years ago. We never did get to meet him, but I feel as if we know him. She has shared many many stories of their years together, keeping his memory alive. It would have been an honor to meet this man who was a devoted husband and loving father.

Moving on, we found another bus which would take us to the malecon. We were on our way to the Botanical Gardens, but wanted to stop at a little coffee hut by the beach. Jay and I had been there once before and thought it would be nice to stop there and have a mocha. There we asked for directions to take the third and final bus to the Botanical Gardens. The gardens are on the south side of Puerto Vallarta, which would be another thirty-minute ride from the Romantica Zone where we would catch the bus.

"You walk all the way to the end of the malecon. All the way." The woman said emphatically. She was a customer sitting at a table nearby and overheard that we were looking for directions. "There you will see an Oxxo."

"Across the street from the Guadalajara Pharmacia." The owner of the coffee hut interjected.

"That is where you pick up the El Tuito bus." The first lady continued. We nodded and left to walk the entire length of the malecon in search of the Oxxo and Guadalajara Pharmacia.

Well! Do you know how many Oxxos there are?! And there is not just one Guadalajara Pharmacia, there are many. It, too, is a chain store. We got to the end of the malecon and walked around for several blocks trying to figure out where to catch the bus. After asking three different people in three different areas, we finally found our connection.

We stepped up into the bus and paid our ten pesos and sat down. A young boy jumped on with a pie plate of pizza. He was selling slices. "No, gracious." We said as he went down the aisle. (This is quite common. Locals get on the bus at one stop and sell food, drinks, or candy. Or some get on with a guitar and sing for money. They collect what they can and then the driver let's them off at the next stop.)

It was a beautiful drive along Route 200 and the south shore. The two-lane road winds around the cliffs and overlooks the ocean and the coves tucked into the shoreline. As in all buses down here, the radio was blasting with Mexican folk songs. Gail and I just smiled, immersed in the joy of the moment.

As you might imagine, The Botanical Gardens is home to a plethora of indigenous plant species. One of their prize collections is the many varieties of Mexican orchids. Once threatened by poachers, the Botanical Gardens has made it their mission to gather together the largest assortment of orchids found anywhere in Mexico. Here they are on display for all to enjoy.

By the time we arrived, our stomachs were growling and we headed straight for the restaurant that we heard was quite good. It was located on the second floor of the main building and was an open-air eatery overlooking the gardens and river that flows through it. The waiter served us a complimentary Hibiscus tea and we ordered fish tacos.

Over the next two hours, we walked the trails that led around the property. Hearing that we were allowed to swim in the river, we had brought our bathing suits. We were used to the warm ocean water so when we dipped our toes in, we were in for quite a shock. It was cold mountain river. No swimming for us.

All tired out, we headed for Highway 200 and caught the bus (this made number four) back to the Romantica Zone in time for happy hour at Daiquiri Dicks. Refreshed, we took the long walk back down the malecon where we took Gail to an authentic Cuban restaurant. Once again, it was sunset, and the food was served as we watched the sun lower down in the sky. When the time came to head home, the inevitable question was raised; bus or taxi? "Taxi." Jay said. "Definitely a taxi."

Tuesday was Gail's last day before flying out to Denver to visit her daughter and go skiing in Vail. Tuesday is normally our laundry and market day. Since we were all exhausted from our long excursion the day before, we decided to stick around the boat. I took Gail over to the Riviera Market.

The Riviera Market is another local market of individual vendors that show up every Tuesday in the parking lot behind the hospital and casino. There are the usual tourist souvenirs but this is also where we get our fresh vegetables, fresh fish, fresh bread and fresh foods like pastas, sauces and home-grown coffee. Gail and I looked over the clothes, but mostly I was there for the food. Later, I sent Gail to the beach while I went to do laundry.

The day ended with Gail taking us out to dinner. We went to one of our favorite restaurants in the area, Porto Bello. Good Italian food overlooking the river. Hmm... seems to be some common themes here, particularly food, drinks and oceans and rivers.

Wednesday arrived and sadly, it was time for Gail to go. We had a great holiday filled with adventure and exploring. We had lots of fun. And now that I look back, I guess that non-schedule I wasn't planning turned out to be okay, after all.

See gallery for more photos.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cadenza
Vessel Make/Model: Hardin 45' Ketch
Hailing Port: Malibu, California
Crew: Jay Chattaway, Terri Potts-Chattaway
About: Jay has owned Cadenza for over 20 years. He originally bought her in La Paz, Mexico (known as Mercury One and before that as Mar y Vent) and brought her up to the Channel Islands. Terri fell in love with sailing and Cadenza over ten years ago and she has been a labor of love ever since.
Extra:
The Plan: We are to leave Channel Islands Harbor the beginning of September, 2013 and head to San Diego for a few months of prep and family time. Next, we leave for La Paz (we love it there) the beginning of November. We will winter out of La Paz, exploring the Sea of Cortez. This is the first [...]
Cadenza's Photos - Main
13 Photos
Created 21 February 2019
15 Photos
Created 19 February 2017
13 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
12 Photos
Created 5 January 2017
16 Photos
Created 27 December 2016
14 Photos
Created 5 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 28 March 2016
25 Photos
Created 28 March 2016
10 Photos
Created 27 March 2016
13 Photos
Created 17 March 2016
7 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
13 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
11 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
12 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
15 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
7 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
4 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
12 Photos
Created 26 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 13 February 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
6 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
16 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
La Paz to Mazatlan
12 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
13 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
12 Photos
Created 18 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
10 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
11 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
17 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
18 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
12 Photos
Created 9 January 2014
16 Photos
Created 9 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 2 January 2014
24 Photos
Created 30 December 2013
10 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
9 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
10 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
8 Photos
Created 21 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 20 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 17 December 2013
13 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
19 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
15 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
13 Photos
Created 14 November 2013
15 Photos
Created 11 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
25 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
13 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
26 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
11 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
11 Photos
Created 7 October 2013
11 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
9 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 11 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2013