Murphy's Great Adventure

This is the story of Murphy the sailor dog and his adventures by sea and land.

14 November 2012 | Charleston City Marina
09 November 2012 | Awendaw Creek
08 November 2012 | Waccamaw River
02 November 2012 | Carolina Beach, NC
29 October 2012 | New Bern, NC
27 October 2012 | Grand Hotel Marina, New Bern, NC
24 October 2012 | Oriental, NC
22 October 2012 | Tuckahoe Point, Alligator River
20 October 2012 | Elizabeth Cith
19 October 2012 | Goat Island, Pasquotank
18 October 2012 | Dismal Swamp
17 October 2012 | Hospital Point
16 October 2012 | Jackson Creek, Piankatank
07 May 2012 | Baby Owl Cove
07 April 2011 | Lancaster VA
13 March 2011 | Home on the Chesapeake
11 November 2010 | Home on the Chesapeake
29 April 2010 | Jackson Creek
28 April 2010 | Portsmouth North Ferry Landing
27 April 2010 | Dismal Swamp Canal, North Lock

Captain Murphy

24 October 2012 | Oriental, NC
Weatherwise the last two days have been uneventful. Boatwise too……and that’s always a good thing. We motored on down the Alligator-Pungo Canal, starting in light fog and ending in sunshine. Birding was pretty good through this section with at least 10 eagles spotted both mature and juvies. We experimented with putting the dinghy on davits for this section and it went fine. I think it took longer to get the dinghy up and tied off than just putting it on deck, but I assume that will go more quickly with practice. We had left the dinghy on the foredeck for the Dismal Swamp and Elizabeth City to make sure there were no dinghy disasters. With our canoe stern, the dinghy sticks out quite a bit on each side and sometimes that can make for some heartpounding moments when it comes to close to adjacent pilings and other boats.
We anchored for the evening at a wide spot in the road at the exit of Goose Creek Canal, just before the Neuse. There was a nice breeze, but not enough to keep down the mosquitoes and we were soon chased inside for a lovely dinner of hamburgers and oven fries.
The next day’s motor brought us to Oriental. A whopping 20 miles of motoring. We said that we would take our time since we left home earlier than usual and we are doing that. Murphy was put in charge of the helm for this quiet section. Oriental seemed a little more dried up than before. It proclaims itself the sailing capital of North Carolina, but other than a couple of restaurants and artsy shops there really isn’t much there anymore. We anchored out with the boats that don’t move very often and settled in for the day. By evening we were joined by two more traveling sailboats and, long after dark, a large motoryacht. The motoryacht was greeted by 3 bottlerockets from the marina. Murphy was not amused. The motoryacht was probably not amused either.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charm
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 38
Hailing Port: Lancaster, VA
Crew: Jim & Kathy Bearden
About: The first mate is Murphy, the sailor dog. Murphy is a 4 (now 6) year old Irish Terrier that would probably rather be on terra firma but doesn't want to be left behind. tali and Nikki our kitties serve as moral support for Murphy but are pretty clueless as to what the trip is about

Who: Jim & Kathy Bearden
Port: Lancaster, VA