Murphy's Great Adventure

This is the story of Murphy the sailor dog and his adventures by sea and land.

14 November 2012 | Charleston City Marina
09 November 2012 | Awendaw Creek
08 November 2012 | Waccamaw River
02 November 2012 | Carolina Beach, NC
29 October 2012 | New Bern, NC
27 October 2012 | Grand Hotel Marina, New Bern, NC
24 October 2012 | Oriental, NC
22 October 2012 | Tuckahoe Point, Alligator River
20 October 2012 | Elizabeth Cith
19 October 2012 | Goat Island, Pasquotank
18 October 2012 | Dismal Swamp
17 October 2012 | Hospital Point
16 October 2012 | Jackson Creek, Piankatank
07 May 2012 | Baby Owl Cove
07 April 2011 | Lancaster VA
13 March 2011 | Home on the Chesapeake
11 November 2010 | Home on the Chesapeake
29 April 2010 | Jackson Creek
28 April 2010 | Portsmouth North Ferry Landing
27 April 2010 | Dismal Swamp Canal, North Lock

Waiting.....

27 October 2012 | Grand Hotel Marina, New Bern, NC
We are hanging out at the Grand Hotel Marina in New Bern. Sounds more ostentatious than it is. Best part is floating docks, which should handle the 7 ft of predicted storm surge. Worst part is that although there are many boats here, most are owned by local folks so there are few transients i.e. snowbirds, to pass the time with.
We arrived early and have the boat double-tied and heavily fendered. We are, unfortunately, on an outside dock, but the wind is supposed to be mostly from the north and we are hidden behind a couple of large hotels. We had hoped to visit the New Bern Yacht Club and had made arrangements to spend a night at their dock. However, on closer inspection of the charts, there is a 45ft fixed bridge between the club and us. Oh well. The commodore felt badly and actually came down to the marina to welcome us and see if we needed anything but our very first welcome on the dock was the Coast Guard Auxiliary, anxious to give us an inspection. We have always avoided those, but this time had little excuse, so we let them aboard to do their thing. It was painless and now Charm has one of those little 2012 stickers on her mast. Maybe it will keep the real Coast Guard from stopping us. We shall see.
Yesterday we toured the town of New Bern. It is a pretty little place and well worth the visit. I enjoyed the shops, Jim enjoyed a local tavern brew and we both enjoyed a tour of the Fireman’s Museum. Somehow this little museum has managed to hang onto pieces of their equipment from the mid-1800s on. They have original helmets, 2 steam engines, their first gas pumpers and an assortment of other equipment. The best part though was the guide. The museum was small and left to our own devices, we would have finished up in 10 minutes, but the guide took us around to each piece and explained some of the history and legend too. He lovingly touched each piece and pulled out pictures to show us the fire hall in past days. They even stuffed one of their early fire engine horses and he talks too. What a hoot. This town loved their firefighters. Almost 90 minutes later, the guide ran out of steam and let us do a bit of last exploring on our own. What a great little museum.
Today is rainy and blustery and we are just hanging out on the boat. Winds are starting to pipe upwards of 25kts and the water level is up a foot so far. We had to come through an opening bridge to get here and the bridge tender just called to tell the marina that they would be closing this evening until further notice. Guess we are good and stuck here for a while. That’s all for now….
Comments
Vessel Name: Charm
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 38
Hailing Port: Lancaster, VA
Crew: Jim & Kathy Bearden
About: The first mate is Murphy, the sailor dog. Murphy is a 4 (now 6) year old Irish Terrier that would probably rather be on terra firma but doesn't want to be left behind. tali and Nikki our kitties serve as moral support for Murphy but are pretty clueless as to what the trip is about

Who: Jim & Kathy Bearden
Port: Lancaster, VA