Murphy's Great Adventure

This is the story of Murphy the sailor dog and his adventures by sea and land.

14 November 2012 | Charleston City Marina
09 November 2012 | Awendaw Creek
08 November 2012 | Waccamaw River
02 November 2012 | Carolina Beach, NC
29 October 2012 | New Bern, NC
27 October 2012 | Grand Hotel Marina, New Bern, NC
24 October 2012 | Oriental, NC
22 October 2012 | Tuckahoe Point, Alligator River
20 October 2012 | Elizabeth Cith
19 October 2012 | Goat Island, Pasquotank
18 October 2012 | Dismal Swamp
17 October 2012 | Hospital Point
16 October 2012 | Jackson Creek, Piankatank
07 May 2012 | Baby Owl Cove
07 April 2011 | Lancaster VA
13 March 2011 | Home on the Chesapeake
11 November 2010 | Home on the Chesapeake
29 April 2010 | Jackson Creek
28 April 2010 | Portsmouth North Ferry Landing
27 April 2010 | Dismal Swamp Canal, North Lock

Bored Kitty

07 December 2009 | Vero Beach
We spent a fine few days here visiting with other cruisers and swatting no-seeums. They put us way at the back of the mooring field among the mangroves. It is very scenic and in the late evening you almost have a feeling of privacy, until you look back up the mooring field at the 100 or so odd boats moored above you. However, the scenery comes at a price, whenever the wind lays and the sun sets.
We were enjoying cocktails on the boat we were rafted with along with several of his friends from New Bern, NC. The snacks were great and conversation was flowing and then the bugs started biting. After a few minutes, everyone was in full retreat and we took refuge below decks. Unfortunately a few of the pesky critters followed us below. It was one of those warm, windless nights, where you don't need any covers but you have to stay under full protection or risk getting chewed on. Hard to believe, that a couple of days ago it was cold and blustery.
As you can see in the picture, Tali is starting to get a bad case of cabin fever and was having quite a go-round with one of her Christmas mice from years back. The night before she was chasing her tail. I think she needs some shore leave.

Sleeping on the Job

12 April 2008 | Dismal Swamp
We spent last night in Elizabeth City and managed to bring in enough boats to warrant the first Wine and Cheese party for the Rose Buddies. Although Fred Fearing has passed on, his legacy is being carried on by volunteers.
The next morning we headed for the Dismal Swamp Canal. Transit of the canal went fine, though Murphy and Tali kept a watchful eye on the shore. Since the canal is fairly narrow, I think Tali had the idea that she might do a little abandon ship maneuver. However, as you can see, she finally gave it up and spent the rest of the day snoozing hard.

Tali, Tending the sheets

02 February 2008 | Biscayne Bay
We decided to go outside from Ft Lauderdale to Miami as well. The weather was forecast as 5-10kts E with 1-2ft seas. Instead we got 0-5kts and 0-1ft seas. I guess it's better to err on the conservative side, so once again we were motoring down the ocean. However, it was a lot more pleasant and relaxing then yesterday and Nikki was able to stay in her usual hiding place.
Going in and out of the inlets isn't too bad except for the sportfish. They put off more wakes than the large cruiseships that were also going to and from. The last set of wakes entering Miami brought Tali out of the cabin but by the time we got to Biscayne Bay the waves had calmed, the wind filled in, and we had a lovely afternoon sail. As you can see, Tali was not especially stressed and seemed to particularly enjoy engines off sailing. First time since the Albemarle Sound!
Vessel Name: Charm
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 38
Hailing Port: Lancaster, VA
Crew: Jim & Kathy Bearden
About: The first mate is Murphy, the sailor dog. Murphy is a 4 (now 6) year old Irish Terrier that would probably rather be on terra firma but doesn't want to be left behind. tali and Nikki our kitties serve as moral support for Murphy but are pretty clueless as to what the trip is about

Who: Jim & Kathy Bearden
Port: Lancaster, VA