A Leap of Faith

Moving aboard our 43 foot sailboat for extended cruising.

Erie Canal Day 1

08 June 2015
Yesterday was a big day for DAVALI. For the first time in her life, she is above the tidal influence and in fresh water. She traversed 11 locks and is currently 255 ft above sea level. Half way to Lake Michigan’s 500 feet above sea level. We have traveled 201.1 miles in 9 days with 2 of those days being lay days.

We got underway at 0800 enroute for Amsterdam, New York where we planned to stay at the Riverlink Marine Park. We entered the Federal Lock at 0831. I was at the helm and Chris was forward ready to catch the lines. The locks doors are massive and as they open the current swirls around and can catch you off guard. The lock masters let you know which side to lay to and the goal is to get as close to the massive concrete wall as possible and pick up a line that is hanging from the top. Some times there is a pole that you wrap a line around. Then with the engine idling, you hang onto these lines to keep the boat straight against the wall while the lock fills with water. As it fills, you are lifted form a dank, rather stinky dark space, up into the sunshine. These locks are a tourist attraction, so there is usually an audiance at the top.

Our biggest concern is lossing control of the boat in the lock and having the mast touch the wall as it overhangs both the bow and the stern by several feet. So getting sideways is a very bad thing.

The first several locks went very well with the biggest issue being coming in too fast and Chris having to stop us with the lines. I got pretty good at coming right along the wall and the big ball fenders were perfect. But it’s hard work hanging onto the lines. Our boat weighs 20,000 pounds and as the wind picked up, I was having a hard time keeping the stern in. The day wore on and I was gettin sore and tired. We got to Lock 9 and it was very windy. Two power boats that we had been traveling with raced out of lock 8 and got to lock 9 about 15 minutes ahead of us. One wold think that common decency would dictate that they wait. But no. So we marked time in 20 knot winds and waited 30 minutes. Another sailboat was ahead of us and just when Chris was warning me not to let the wind catch the stern on the starboard side, the boat ahead was sideways. Luckily they aren’t carrying a mast so the recovered and went in without incident. Then we were in and all went well. The lock doors closed and we waited. And waited. Then suddenly the lock doors opened again and a trawler was coming in. So we had to move forward. We let go our lines and moved up in the lock along the wall. Suddenly, there were no more lines (several were missing) and we had to back up. The lock doors were closing again and I was in a panic that they would start flooding the lock before we were secure. But of course they didn’t. We had one more lock to go.

One thing that had slipped our minds is that the locks stop at 1800...sharp. Luckily the gentleman in the sailboat ahead of us had asked. He was told that if they have us in sight and we call on the radio they have to hold the lock for us. This was a big concern because before the next lock there were no marinas. We would have had to tie up to the lock wall and spend another night without shore power. So off we went. The boat ahead contacted the lock and told them we were coming, the lock master was like we stop at 1800. The trawler that had come in late to the lock called ahead as well and said that he was in sight and traveling with 2 sailboats which was nice. Then another trawler came up and we figured it was all good. As it was we arrived at the final lock at 1748. But it was a stressful ending to a fun but stressful day.

We tied up at the Riverlink Municiple Waterfront in Amsterdam at 1830. It is a nice facility but the pump out didn’t work, of course, and our hose isn’t long enough to reach the water. But we have power. The weather wasn’t too nice today, plus I had 4 loads of laundry and we were tired so we are staying an extra night. Chris just doubled up the mooring lines and we have a tornado watch in effect. The sailboat we were traveling with stayed an extra night as well, and they are coming for dinner. It’s nice how the boating community really does look out for one another. Even the guy in the power boat that took the lock without us came to help handle lines when we pulled in. Not that we needed him to.

Tomorrow we are looking at 7 locks with a destination of Ilion, NY. A total distance of 45 miles. We have decided not to worry about getting to Buffalo by the 15th. We have that wedding on June 20th in State College and had planned to visit Chris’s mother and be in Ebensburg on the 18th. We can leave from anywhere for that and we just need a secure marina to leave the boat.

For the first time in 6 weeks, Dorito was able to walk on terra firma. There is big grassy area next to the pier. I walked with him and he had a great time, eating grass and even urinating. So nice not to have ot use the litter box. As we walked, I noticed a fence with ivy growing on it. I couldn’t see what was behind it. Chris came to be with Dorito and I was walking back to the boat when we heard the train....it was right there and then they blew the whistle. Dorito freaked out and ran. Straight back to the boat which he boarded with an impressive 4 foot leap. I felt so badly for him. And so relieved he didn’t end up in the water. Other than that, he is doing great and basically sleeps all the time. Which is what he did at home too. During the day he snuggles under the pillow on the bed in the forward cabin. I make a little cave for him against the bulkhead. And at night he sleeps on our heads. Very cozy.
Comments
Vessel Name: Davali
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 423
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
Crew: Chris and Gwen Coleman
Social:

Who: Chris and Gwen Coleman
Port: Milwaukee, WI