A Leap of Faith

Moving aboard our 43 foot sailboat for extended cruising.

The St Claire River

10 July 2015
We left Detroit the morning of the 8th and crossed lake St Claire and entered the St Claire River. This river is a very busy throughfare for large tankers. We monitored CH 11 and kept a close eye on our AIS. You definitly want to give these guys plenty of room. The averaged 750 to 800 feet in length and like 75 feet in beam. The river also has a lot of current going in the wrong direction for us so it was slow going. Where we would usually make 7.5 knots, we were making 5. It was a long day. But the river was pretty and it was good practice for me so I stood the watch for the first 4.5 hours then Chris took over. Of course while I'm on watch he is still there working and coaching me.

We stopped in Port Huron which is at the end of the river just before Lake Huron. We took on fuel and stayed at a long dock in a little river that went through town. We have decided that these long transits of 8 to 10 hours are no funa nd we probably won't do them anymore. It makes for a cranky captain and crew, and Dorito dosen't like it either. We are getting close to home though and would like to make it to Door County by the weekend of the 17th.

Since the price was right at the marina, the second night was free, we stayed an extra day. Port Huron is a really cute little town. We took a couple of nice long walks and rode our bikes to the grocery store since we were low on cat food. Dorito has decided he doesn't like the salmon anymore and won't eat it. There was a little micro brewery across the river and we had some drinks and appetizers on the deck looking out over our boat. I had my hair done at little palce that we walked by and was happy with the results. It's gotten so bleached out by the sun so I added some low lights and had it trimmed.

This morning we left Port Huron and headed out into Lake Huron. The current was ripping as we passed under the Blue Water Bridge and we were only able to make 3.3 knots. Kind of scary. Once we were out on the Lake, the current dropped off and we are making our ususal speed, 7.2 knots. It is a beautiful sunny day but no wind so we are motoring...again...it is getting tiresome and we hope that once we make the turn into Lake Michigan that we will be able to sail. We are having a short day today and anchoring in Port Sanilac then onto Harbor Beach. Lastly Thunder Bay and we shoud then pass through the Mackinaw Straits. I am disappointed that we won't get to stop at Mackinac Island, but the Chicago to Mackinac Race is this week and there is no room. Oh well, next time.

So we should be anchored by 1400 and I plan to get some sun and maybe even swim.The water here is very clear and pretty. Not like Lake Erie which had a scummy feel to it. We may try to take the dingy into the beach and walk around.
Comments
Vessel Name: Davali
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 423
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
Crew: Chris and Gwen Coleman
Social:

Who: Chris and Gwen Coleman
Port: Milwaukee, WI