Dawn at Sea

Stevens Custom 42 cruising from Maine to the Windwards and back

10 May 2017 | Havana, Cuba
22 April 2017 | Havana, Cuba
22 April 2017 | Havana, Vieja, Cuba
17 April 2017 | San Francisco de Paula, Cuba
17 April 2017 | Jaiminitas, Cuba
03 April 2017 | Pompano Beach, FL
19 September 2016 | ashore in Maine
19 August 2015 | Rockland, Maine
30 May 2015 | Rockland, Maine
28 May 2015 | Rockland, Maine
28 May 2015 | Irvington, VA
16 May 2015
13 May 2015 | Irvington, VA
04 May 2015 | Beaufort, NC
01 May 2015 | Charleston, SC
27 April 2015 | Brunswick,
20 April 2015 | St Augustine
20 April 2015 | St Augustine, FL
15 April 2015 | Melbourne, FL
08 April 2015 | New Providence, Bahamas

Papa Hemingway for a Day

17 April 2017 | San Francisco de Paula, Cuba
Dutch Dresser
0800 we mustered with Adonis, the well-deserved name of our taxi driver organizer, for a trip to San Francisco de Paula, Cuba, to visit La Finca Vigia, the home of Ernest Hemingway. Central to the complex is Hemingway's house, which is open at the doorway but cordoned so you can't enter. You can see much of the house through the doors and windows, and you'd love to spend time in the comfortable setting with the stuffed trophies on the wall and the single remaining Picasso, the balance of the large art collection having been removed by Hemingway's wife after his death.

Atop a tower next to the house one has a remarkable view of the countryside from Hemingway's studio, where his typewriter sits on a table and paintings adorn the walls.

Pilar, Hemingway's boat, was on-site and surrounded by staging to be viewed from every angle. Hemingway commissioned the boat with his proceeds from some short stories and paid $7,500 for the sturdy powerboat.

After we toured, Elaine seated me in one of the wrought iron chairs under a banyan tree to take a photo, noting to a nearby Korean man that I look a bit like Hemingway. The man sprung to his feet to get the same picture. As we walked away, he caught up with us and wanted a picture with me; we obliged. He said something about Facebook and headed off gleefully. As we stood in the parking lot, looking at options, we were approached by the man and his extended family, about eight in all, wanting a group picture with "Hemingway" at the center. Soon I had my arms around two aged Korean ladies with family members of all ages smiling as Koreans and tourists and Elaine took pictures of the funny assemblage.

The tour went on to the small coastal village of Cojimar where La Terrazza, one of Hemingway's favorite haunts, has been restored by the government and serves mojitos and daiquiris to lots of tourists each day. It was a beautiful spot where, once again, I was recognized as "Hemingway" and called out by a musician in the group playing music to drink by.

As we walked the streets Elaine negotiated a deal on a Cuban license plate to hang in the tavern with several other plates already there.

I posed with a bust of Hemingway in the village center before boarding the taxis to head back to Marina Hemingway.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dawn
Vessel Make/Model: Stevens Custom 42
Hailing Port: Bethel, Maine
Crew: Dutch & Elaine Dresser
About: The crew is well and truly understanding the cruising life... pretty good!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svdawn

Dawn's Crew in Puerto Bahia, DR

Who: Dutch & Elaine Dresser
Port: Bethel, Maine