Dawn at Sea

Stevens Custom 42 cruising from Maine to the Windwards and back

10 May 2017 | Havana, Cuba
22 April 2017 | Havana, Cuba
22 April 2017 | Havana, Vieja, Cuba
17 April 2017 | San Francisco de Paula, Cuba
17 April 2017 | Jaiminitas, Cuba
03 April 2017 | Pompano Beach, FL
19 September 2016 | ashore in Maine
19 August 2015 | Rockland, Maine
30 May 2015 | Rockland, Maine
28 May 2015 | Rockland, Maine
28 May 2015 | Irvington, VA
16 May 2015
13 May 2015 | Irvington, VA
04 May 2015 | Beaufort, NC
01 May 2015 | Charleston, SC
27 April 2015 | Brunswick,
20 April 2015 | St Augustine
20 April 2015 | St Augustine, FL
15 April 2015 | Melbourne, FL
08 April 2015 | New Providence, Bahamas

The People of Cuba Today

10 May 2017 | Havana, Cuba
Elaine Dresser
I hear people say that they want to go to Cuba before major changes occur there. I say, "Go now and hope changes comes quickly."

I came away wondering why people live the way they do. Cuban families register with local supply stores and receive a libreta, a ration book which allows them very basic food supplies each month. More than half of the rationed food is rice, the main staple of their menu. Other products like eggs, meat and fish, when available, are limited with only enough to last a few days.

Most Cubans receive 500 pesos, approximately twenty-one US dollars, each month as a salary from the government. Street markets sell locally grown vegetables, fruits, homemade butter and cheeses, but 500 pesos spends fast. A kilo of powdered milk, something most Cubans go without, costs approximately one-third of a monthly salary. I think of "The Black Market" as a source of contraband. In Cuba it is also a source of food, since markets and ration shops run out of basics and don't carry many items that people need.

Personal hygiene items, including toothpaste, tooth brushes, shampoo, and soap are inaccessible to local people because they are unable to afford such items. Paper, pencils, and even toilet paper are scarce. Items that we consider necessities, they consider luxuries. Cubans can use everything.

Before going to Cuba, I read that Cubans accept and appreciate gifts from tourists. Children need pencils and everyone can use whatever you offer. We distributed bags with personal hygiene items to people we met each day and handed candies to people up and down the streets as we walked along the city sidewalks, bringing smiles and "gracias" from all. A few people were skeptical at first when handed a bag, but the facial expressions changed quickly to delight and gratitude when they looked inside.

If my Spanish were better, I would have enjoyed conversations with people I met. There was little exchange of words besides "regalo" and "gracias" but there was real communication and emotion expressed.

Each exchange is a touching story. Smiles, thanks, hugs and even a kiss one time, were my gifts in return from very friendly, kind, and caring people. Still, there was something bittersweet about the experience. Personal hygiene items should not be luxuries.

Let's hope that change will come and it will come soon for the people of Cuba.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dawn
Vessel Make/Model: Stevens Custom 42
Hailing Port: Bethel, Maine
Crew: Dutch & Elaine Dresser
About: The crew is well and truly understanding the cruising life... pretty good!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svdawn

Dawn's Crew in Puerto Bahia, DR

Who: Dutch & Elaine Dresser
Port: Bethel, Maine