Sailing with Destination

Heading Further North Fog or Not

26 June 2022 | Port McNeill
Donald Rushmer | Sunny, NW wind at 5-10
Our trip from Blind Bay led to Johnstone Strait, the major channel between the mainland and the east side of Vancouver Island. After traveling for a while, we decided to stop for the night at Port Harvey, an inlet from the Strait protected from weather. We spent the afternoon enjoying the sun and watching workmen on the shore construct a barge for carrying cargo along the coast. Birds were plentiful with various gulls, auklets, and Bald Eagles, but we were especially surprised when a pair of Trumpeter Swans appeared, taking a stately circumnavigation of the bay (see photo). They made the rounds several times while we were anchored there, going ashore between trips.

On our way to Port Harvey, Steve stopped several times near rock outcroppings and reefs to fish. He had done so over the past few days and caught a couple very nice Ling Cod, which he generously shared with us. Why did he need to share? As we prepared for this adventure, Janet was quite clear that fishing would be a major activity designed to provide us with much of the protein for the trip. Prior to departing, we spent time with Dean, a professional guide familiar with this part of the world and an employee of Fisherman’s Supply in Oregon City, purchasing equipment and lures for the trip. What Steve taught us is that equipment is not enough. Rather, one must sense where the fish are and then enter a zen state of communion with them. Much to learn and Janet is on it. Caught her first bottom fish after three days of trying. Hope springs eternal and we have optimism that there will be more fish waiting for us the further north we go.

We woke this morning at 5:00AM to a sunny day, greeted the swans and headed out to Johnstone Strait to take advantage of the tide as we progressed northwest – destination Port McNeill, a bustling town on the north end of Vancouver Island. As we entered the Strait, we were enveloped in fog – thin at times and pea soup others, with visibility down to 100 feet or so. This is less scary that it used to be, primarily because our GPS chart plotter quite accurately tells us where we are in the world, fog or not. The challenge comes from determining where everyone else is in relation to you. For this radar works reasonably well, as does AIS, the international system for boat identification that has become ubiquitous over the last decade or two. What remains is identifying boats without either and obstacles such as rather large logs and other flotsam that can do serious damage in a collision. So, slow going and constant vigilance are key.

We arrived in Port McNeill in clearing skies, took on fuel and water and settled in for a restful afternoon. Janet provided protein in the form of a crab she caught while we were at anchor. Tomorrow, up at 4:00AM to sail with the tide and when winds are calm for our open ocean passage past Cape Caution to the northern portions of the Inside Passage. Wish us God speed!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Destination
Vessel Make/Model: 1985 LaCoste 42 Sloop
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Janet Plummer and Don Rushmer
About: We both live in Portland, OR and have enjoyed sailing for many years, mostly in the Pacific Northwest and the coast of British Columbia
Extra: The LaCoste 42 is a Sparkman and Stevens design built by Chantier in France. It was comissioned by LaCoste - the alligator brand sportswear company. Apparently 14 of them were built in the 1980's. They are all accounted for and loved by their owners as fine cruising sloops.
Destination's Photos - Main
33 Photos
Created 25 June 2022
She is no longer with us, but we have such wonderful memories of Cory sailing with us over the years. And we still - five years later - find an occasional Cory hair...
14 Photos
Created 8 June 2022
3 Photos
Created 6 June 2022
2020 Visit
5 Photos
Created 6 June 2022
14 Photos
Created 1 September 2018