Our Family Sailing Adventure

The Broom family takes a break from the rat race aboard SV Dilly Dally.

18 July 2012 | Spirit Lake Marina, Duluth, MN
18 July 2012 | Spirit Lake Marina, Duluth, MN
18 July 2012 | Spirit Lake Marina, Duluth, MN
06 July 2012 | Erie Canal
04 July 2012 | Richfield, MN
04 July 2012 | Richfield, MN
03 July 2012 | I-94
02 July 2012 | I-90 going West
01 July 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
01 July 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
30 June 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
29 June 2012
29 June 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
29 June 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson
26 June 2012 | The Big Apple
25 June 2012 | 25 miles from Sandy Hook
24 June 2012 | The Ocean
23 June 2012 | Big Blue
18 June 2012 | Nassau, Bahamas

Made it across the bank!

22 April 2012 | Sapodilla Bay, Provo, Turks & Caicos
Lisa-hot and sunny
Pic is of the endless clear water of the Caicos Bank - gorgeous!

We arrived in Provo (short for Provodenciales-the largest island in the Caicos group) about 4:15ish on Saturday 4-21. The remainder of the passage went with incident. Winds stayed light but strong enough to sail the rest of the way. When we arrived at the edge of the Caicos Bank I insisted on crossing the bank motoring. The bank is a 60 by 50 nm area the averages about 8-10 feet deep. It is strewn with coral heads and navigation is strictly by sight. It is also a beautiful place with awesome fishing and diving. We posted Scott on the bow to watch the water for coral heads. We crossed at a point where we had to go 20 miles to get to Provo. We really didn't have any trouble but my heart was in my mouth for most of the time. How exciting!!!
After getting the anchor down we tried to figure out how to check in without much luck. No one seemed to be around. Another boat in the anchorage called us to tell us they had the same issue AND to offer us a BIG piece of fresh tuna they could not eat. Yippee! Tuna steaks for dinner - and they were really good.....
Today Dale ended up hitchhiking with Scott to the airport to check us in and get Scott in and out and on to a plane. It took hours. Today we are trying to sort out a couple of scuba dives and a rental car. Provo is not a "walkable" town and taxis are very expensive (round trip is more than a car). I discovered a free wifi signal so we are very excited!! ;-)
Comments
Vessel Name: Dilly Dally
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 462
Hailing Port: Ham Lake, MN
Crew: Dale, Lisa, Madeline and Wyatt

Follow our year long journey starting July 2011 from the Great Lakes to the East Coast and Caribbean

Who: Dale, Lisa, Madeline and Wyatt
Port: Ham Lake, MN