Our Family Sailing Adventure

The Broom family takes a break from the rat race aboard SV Dilly Dally.

18 July 2012 | Spirit Lake Marina, Duluth, MN
18 July 2012 | Spirit Lake Marina, Duluth, MN
18 July 2012 | Spirit Lake Marina, Duluth, MN
06 July 2012 | Erie Canal
04 July 2012 | Richfield, MN
04 July 2012 | Richfield, MN
03 July 2012 | I-94
02 July 2012 | I-90 going West
01 July 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
01 July 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
30 June 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
29 June 2012
29 June 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
29 June 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson
26 June 2012 | The Big Apple
25 June 2012 | 25 miles from Sandy Hook
24 June 2012 | The Ocean
23 June 2012 | Big Blue
18 June 2012 | Nassau, Bahamas

Up the river

29 June 2012 | Castleton-on-Hudson
Lisa-sunny and warm
After a nice cruise through New York Harbor, we made it all the way up to Newburgh. There is a restaurant there called Torches that has a marina. We enjoyed a nice dinner and they let us stay on the dock overnight. Cool.
Next day we didn't leave until 2:00 ish as we were waiting for the tide. We motored up to a nice quiet spot called Duck Dove. We all commented on the smell of the fresh water and the green plants. Madeline was taking pictures of the trees and I asked why - she said "We haven't seen these kinds of trees for so long". This area is in the Catskills and it is very pretty.
The next morning Dale thought the tide indicated we should leave about 12:30. At about 10:30 we noticed a small sailboat motoring north without any current issues. We checked the charts again and quickly hit the river. We were almost to slack tide - oops. We made it up to Castleton in plenty of time to get the laundry done before nightfall.
Dale came over in the dinghy to pick up Madeline, me and the laundry. As he was crossing the river we heard the outboard make some strange noises and all of a sudden it jumped right off the transom. Plunk-down it went in to the deep, murky water. Major bummer. Good thing we had a second outboard due to purchasing a used dinghy and outboard on the trip.
We thought we might have damaged the motor when we hit a pelican pool while trying to get out of the marina in Nassau. After the jump, I am convinced something was cracked or broken and it just gave way at that moment.
Anyway-today is Friday and we are un-rigging the boat and packing up stuff for me, Madeline and Wyatt since we will be driving home from here starting on Sunday. The guys in our truck arrive tomorrow and we will take the masts down then. Boy-it's a lot of work!! We are at the Castleton Boat Club. A very nice bunch of folks that have a self service crane you can use for a minimal charge (compared to the $500 other marinas charge)
Comments
Vessel Name: Dilly Dally
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 462
Hailing Port: Ham Lake, MN
Crew: Dale, Lisa, Madeline and Wyatt

Follow our year long journey starting July 2011 from the Great Lakes to the East Coast and Caribbean

Who: Dale, Lisa, Madeline and Wyatt
Port: Ham Lake, MN