S/V Distant Star

23 October 2014 | Marion MA to Bermuda
28 October 2013 | Hampton VA
20 July 2013 | Atlantic Ocean
20 July 2013 | Mattapoisett, MA
15 July 2013 | Bermuda
15 July 2013 | Bermuda
15 July 2013 | Bermuda
13 July 2013 | Paget Island, Bermuda
12 July 2013 | Bermuda
12 July 2013 | Bermuda
12 July 2013 | at sea
12 July 2013 | At sea
12 July 2013 | At sea
12 July 2013 | At sea
09 July 2013 | BVI
08 July 2013 | Bermuda
05 July 2013 | Lat 30.56241 - Long -65.17004
04 July 2013 | lat-27.63571-Long: -64.53021
03 July 2013 | 24.70776, Lat -64.83008
02 July 2013

2nd Day

12 July 2013 | At sea
Jim
Tuesday, July 2
The wind held easterly and built overnight, so we were sailing rail under by Tuesday, making good time. We were all a bit groggy as we adjusted to the watch system and new sleep patterns. I had the 0000 to 0300 watch, something that does take some getting used to.

The boat is taking a fair number of waves aboard so the decks are wet, spray is flying, and we need to keep the hatches closed to keep the interior dry. Today the sky was mostly overcast all day.

This morning we noticed that the bilge pump light was stuck on, turns out that debris in the bilge had gotten into the float switches and stuck them in the on position. Tom disabled the automatic operation of the pumps and we monitored the bilges after this.

During the afternoon we fell off a bit to the west to ease the boat’s motion, but we would pay the price for this on Thursday when the wind backed to ENE and then NE, making it impossible to lay St Georges on starboard tack.
No ships or other boats were seen all day and night. We had leftover spaghetti for dinner.

A word about overnight watches. Our watch system called for each of us to be on 3 hours and off 9 hours. So there was only one person officially on watch. The way Distant Star is set up, this is fine and easy to do. The sails can all be controlled from the cockpit and we have radar in the cockpit as well. At night we had a rule that every person on deck wore their harness/lifejacket and stayed clipped into the boat via their harness tether. If it was necessary to leave the cockpit at night, Tom, the skipper/owner, had to be called – turned out it was not necessary at all. Of course anyone off watch was free to come on deck as well, so there were only a few times in the wee hours were someone was truly alone on watch, but this was a special time as well. Picture is Don fully equipped for the Bering Sea in January.
Comments
Vessel Name: Distant Star
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: Mattapoisett, MA
Crew: Tom and Sharon Brownell; Scott and Gayle Huber
About: Distant Star is heading back to the Caribbean with her new owners Tom and Sharon and friends Gayle and Scott from New Jersey that met on a "Share the Sail" experience. We are very excited to head back to our first winter in the Caribbean on our new boat.
Extra: Distant Star has had some updates done since bringing her home in July. We installed a new generator, bimini and weather curtains along with cleaning out her multiuide of over filled storage lockers.

Who: Tom and Sharon Brownell; Scott and Gayle Huber
Port: Mattapoisett, MA