S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

Beachcombing? And Dinner with New Friends

29 April 2011 | Tilloo Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
We took it easy this morning after yesterday's big sail. By noon we were rested and the boat was more or less in shape. Karin and Ed called on the radio, as promised, to find out if we still wanted to walk across Tilloo Cay and go beachcombing with them. We did, so we got ready and met them over at the dock where we've been taking Fuzzy ashore. There is no beach on this side of the island, but there are three docks built here, evidently in anticipation of development that hasn't happened.

Ed led the way with his machete. There was a pretty clear path up the hill to the backbone of this long thin island. On the ocean side there wasn't so much a path as cleared lines that delineated large (several acres each) lots. Unfortunately, the whole island is ironshore; there is virtually no dirt so the footing is treacherous. I had Fuzzy in the front pack because he couldn't walk on the rocks. We'd gone at low tide so as much of the beach as possible would be exposed. When we got down to the Atlantic shore we found there was no beach. The picture shows Karin and Bud standing on the "beach" looking out at the waves, which may have been even higher than the ones we sailed through yesterday. I put a few other pictures of the ocean and the beach in the gallery.

There was an area that had enough sand that walking wasn't too difficult; I even put Fuzzy down for a while. There was a lot of debris everywhere, because this place is seldom visited (now we see why) and we found some good stuff. Karen collects certain shells and sea glass that she uses to make jewelry and votive candleholders. She found quite a bit. Bud wanted to find a buoy for our anchor. An anchor buoy lets you and others know where your anchor is, since if you have wind changes the boat can move around and even drift over the anchor. It also gives you a line tied to the top of the anchor that you can use to dislodge the anchor should it become stuck. Bud found a Styrofoam float and I found a small ceramic float that we brought back. I wanted to find some smaller floats that we could use on dinghy lines. Our dinghy lines are too short and are getting worn, but we haven't been able to find the woven, floating line that we bought at Home Depot anywhere else. Most polypropylene line that floats is too stiff to hold a knot. The line from Home Depot will hold a knot and still floats. We have plenty of regular rope, strong, supple and easy to tie, but it will all sink. The worry is that the dinghy line might come loose when you're towing the dinghy and get caught in the prop. We found several small floats that will work for new dinghy lines.

This evening we went to Ed and Karin's boat for dinner. Karin made two pizzas and Bud made some conch salad, which we took over. We had a nice dinner and played a game of dominoes. While we were there a squall came over. There was some wind, scary lightning in the distance and a LOT of rain. We left a bit early because we were seeing lightning everywhere and Bud was getting worried. When we went to leave there was so much rainwater in the dinghy that Bud had to bail it. Now Bud and Fuzzy are in bed and the storms are still all around us, but so far nothing more right here. The squalls are all supposed to end tomorrow. I like the rain, but sudden, strong and changing winds are not fun and lightning is down right scary when you live in a house with a 60-foot aluminum pole going up through the middle of it. Feeling so vulnerable makes it hard to enjoy the beauty of the storm.
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010