S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

Waiting Out the Work…Visiting

20 July 2011 | Up North
I’ve had inquiries from a couple of friends wondering what’s going on with us, since I haven’t written in the blog lately. Well, we’re not with Earendil. I guess I figure that life on land is not worth blogging about. But I will do a quick fill-in for all of you.

Living aboard with the boat on the hard was difficult. Living aboard on the hard with the engine being replaced would have been really difficult, especially since the daytime temperatures were staying in the 90’s. So we packed up our stuff into the new old car (now affectionately know as the Land Barge or Grandpamobile) and headed off north.

The first weekend we came back to Western New York and our roots. This photo was taken Sunday afternoon on June 19th after the crowds for the Father’s Day Breakfast had left the Tuscarora Yacht Club. It was great to see all of our old friends and all of the people who had inspired, instructed and encouraged us. TYC is a big part of why we are now living aboard (or will be again soon, I hope). That first weekend we also visited our families and then headed east to visit Jon and Arlene at Fairpoint Marina on Little Sodus Bay.

From there we headed west and came to Saint Clair Shores, Michigan, where we have been staying with our daughter and grandson. Our grandson, Adler, just turned two the second of June and it has been great to get to know him again. He is much more verbal than when I left him last December. He may be more articulate and more opinionated than his momma was at that age, and that’s saying something. He’s loads of fun and a lot of work. Taking him out for several hours is much more tiring than a sail of the same duration. I can’t wait until he’s old enough to sail with us; with the rate he’s growing and learning it won’t be too long.

Meanwhile, work on the boat continues. Gary has been keeping an eye on things and sent some photos that enabled us to stop what might have been a mistake in the design of the arch we’re having built on the stern. They were supposed to send us sketches of the design before work began, but Gary’s pictures showed the beginning of the arch and no sketches. I called and that got straightened out. There’s also been a setback for the marina and us in the engine rebuild. The new v-drive transmission didn’t fit down between the stringers in the engine room. The stringers make up the frame of the boat. St. Augustine Marine Center brought in their marine engineer and they decided to take material off the inside of the stringers and add it back on the outside. That also meant they had to move a number of electric cables that ran along the outside of the starboard (right) stringer. In addition, they found our old propeller shaft was too short for the new set-up. We agreed to pay more, they are giving us the shaft at their cost and shaving some profit from the labor side, but in the end we all hope to be happy with the outcome. I’d be more concerned about someone messing with our boat frame if it wasn’t a marina that actually builds boats. While we were there they pulled a 76-foot trawler (the Walrus) that had been built there. It’s a beautiful boat and the reviews seem to be good, so we’re hoping they’re as successful with our alterations.

Today I finished making new covers for our cockpit cushions. I brought the old covers and tore them apart and used them as my patterns. It wasn’t an easy task, and without the actual cushions, I’m not sure how they’ll fit.

So that’s about it. I’ll update the blog again once we have more progress.
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010