S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

Happy Thanksgiving

24 November 2011 | St. Augustine Marine Center, St. Augustine , FL
Jill
This is our first Thanksgiving together on the boat. Last year I was in Detroit with Jamie and poor Bud was alone with Fuzzy in Charleston. We are having a nice, quiet day. This morning, after stowing all the provisions we had purchased the day before so I had room to work, I made pumpkin pies. I made two of them because three 15 oz. cans of pumpkin make two nice full pies. Lately Bud has been buying piecrust when he wanted pie, but he knows I don’t like those, so for Thanksgiving I made the crusts. It wasn’t bad in the tiny galley. The only difficulty is that only one pie will fit in the oven at a time, and a pumpkin pie takes about an hour to bake. The pies got finished around 3 PM.

Once the last pie was in the oven, Bud started on the main meal. The menu was crab stuffed flounder, filet of beef, green beans almandine and parsleyed red potatoes. He had all the prep work done by the time the pie came out of the oven. We just left the oven on for the fish. While Bud finished, I decided to take a bike ride to work up an appetite. There’s really only room for one in the galley, anyway.

I rode around old St. Augustine. I really like this town with its narrow old streets. There are a real variety of neighborhoods and a great mix of houses in the neighborhoods. Our marina is on the edge of Lincolnville. This was a settlement of free blacks before the civil war. A lot of slaves came through here on their way out of slavery. Lincolnville has some bigger nice homes, some tiny nice homes and some run down homes. On the other edge of Lincolnville, where a salt marsh splits it from the rest of the old town, is an estate with a huge mansion and another beautiful old home. The gate to the mansion has the name Lion’s View. I don’t know if that refers to just the big stone house or to the whole estate. Once you cross the salt marsh, which further in appears to be dredged and is called the lake, you get into the old residential section. That has many big old homes that range from very nice to mansions. I cut through there (past what I think is billed as the oldest home in the US) and cross King Street to the tourist Old St. Augustine. That is a mix of old houses and old commercial buildings that is now 90% shops and restaurants. Going back away from the water you come to Flagler College. This has to be one of the prettiest small colleges around. The buildings are mostly Spanish style and there are courtyards and fountains throughout. There are some nice neighborhoods around the college, again with a mix of houses. Coming back across King Street you’re in Lincolnville again, and back to the marina (maybe a mile south of King Street). That’s the route I took today and the whole ride was only about 35 minutes.

I got back to the boat in time to help Bud get the food served and to take this picture of our Thanksgiving feast. Everything Bud made turned out good. I don’t know about the pie because we are saving that for later.

Bud is now out fishing. He was going through withdrawal because with all the work we’ve been doing to provision the boat to leave he hadn’t fished in three days. Today is the new moon. This morning there was a very high tide, this afternoon very low. The tide is running back in now, so it should be a good time to fish.

I hope your Thanksgiving was as nice as ours.
Comments
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010