S/V Exit Strategy

06 March 2013
16 December 2011 | Sausalito, CA
21 July 2011 | San Rafael, CA
13 April 2011 | Oakland, CA
16 March 2011 | Unfortunately not in San Blas where I last wrote about bells
29 January 2011 | San Anselmo near San Francisco
27 June 2010 | Turtle Bay, Baja
14 June 2010 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
16 May 2010 | La Cruz anchorage
04 May 2010 | La Cruz anchorage
28 April 2010 | the rolly anchorage known as La Cruz
18 April 2010 | Marina Riviera de Nayarit
11 April 2010 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
02 April 2010 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
28 March 2010 | the pleasant village of La Cruz
24 March 2010 | La Cruz, Nayarit, Mexico
22 March 2010 | La Cruz

How does a Mexican cow cross the river?

22 January 2010 | San Blas, Nayarit, MX
Jean
As a former agriculturalist I am always curious to see others' animal management techniques.

So far Mexico has not disappointed. A few days ago we stopped to look at a truck of goats that was pulled to the side of the road while it driver went into a shop to buy more beer. It was an incredible feat - the number of goats they managed to cram into a two-story pipe built structure perching tenuously atop a raggedy old pickup. There must have been 40 of them. It made me think of what a bunch of college kids must look like crammed into a phone booth. But while they might have been a tad bit uncomfortable, my practiced eye decided that they looked healthy and well fleshed.

Today, sitting in the cockpit of my boat I heard an outboard engine racing, as if under load. Above the din a cow moo'd in obvious distress. Looking at the shore I saw a panga (fishing boat) about 30 feet from shore - towing a rope, the other end which was looped around the neck of a cow onshore. As the panga rev'd up and started to pull, the cow planted its hooves. It was a tug of war of epic proportions, and finally 50hp beat out 1cp (cow power).

Into the water went the cow... under the water went the cow. Up on the rope pulled the farmer until the cow's head emerged. The cow continued its frantic fight as the farmer tied its head to the side of the boat. Once the cow was secure (physically, but not likely emotionally) the farmer slowly motored across the 1/2 mile wide estuary to the other side.

That's how this Mexican cow crossed the river. Perhaps the cow guy could take some livesock transporation tips from the goat guy.
Comments
Vessel Name: Exit Strategy
Vessel Make/Model: Amel Maramu
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Dave and Jean

Adventures aboard Exit Strategy

Who: Dave and Jean
Port: San Francisco