S/V Exit Strategy

06 March 2013
16 December 2011 | Sausalito, CA
21 July 2011 | San Rafael, CA
13 April 2011 | Oakland, CA
16 March 2011 | Unfortunately not in San Blas where I last wrote about bells
29 January 2011 | San Anselmo near San Francisco
27 June 2010 | Turtle Bay, Baja
14 June 2010 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
16 May 2010 | La Cruz anchorage
04 May 2010 | La Cruz anchorage
28 April 2010 | the rolly anchorage known as La Cruz
18 April 2010 | Marina Riviera de Nayarit
11 April 2010 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
02 April 2010 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
28 March 2010 | the pleasant village of La Cruz
24 March 2010 | La Cruz, Nayarit, Mexico
22 March 2010 | La Cruz

Sewing Day

22 February 2010 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
While prepping for the storm that never materialized last week, the zipper on our rather tired mizzen cover finally gave up the ghost with teeth popping off everywhere. Not a good time for that to happen, but a good reminder that we need to be a little more proactive in attending to our less glamorous boat tasks.

So, I drug out my 1960's era Singer household sewing machine, and eyeing the new, rather heavy V92 sail thread Dave's folks delivered on their recent visit hoped it would handle the load. I was pleased to find that it had enough muscle to go handle the entire project, although it was pretty maxed out and complained occasionally.

After peeling off the remnants of the old zipper I installed a nice shiny new zipper we'd traded a square yard of No-see'um mesh for. Using seam stick made the task much, much easier and I am now a convert (seam stick is double-sided tape made specifically for fabrics). I have never sewn without pins before! It is quite a revolution.

While I was ripping out the old zipper I really got a good look at the cover. Yikes! Nearly every seam was gone, the thread having deteriorated over the years. All that was holding parts of it together were the little dimples the thread had made when it passed through the fabric. It's a good thing that the original construction was solid, with double stitching on all seams, or it would have long ago literally fallen to pieces.

After installing the new zipper, re-sewing all the seams and putting the cover back in place I just had to stand back and bask in the glory - one boat project done! That was until I wandered up to the main cover to look at its front closure, which needs an extension because it no longer closes since we got our new sail. Lo and behold, a close examination of that cover also revealed some seams starting to dissolve. I thought I had some time, as that cover is only three years old. This will be my boat project for tomorrow.

Exit Strategy has a huge table with a large leaf so there is plenty of space to spread out. I just have to plan a bit more so I have everything within reach because it's kind of a drag to keep sliding in and out. Most interesting is the constant rocking back and forth as I sew. But, the scenery is grand so I can't think of a place I'd rather work.
Vessel Name: Exit Strategy
Vessel Make/Model: Amel Maramu
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Dave and Jean

Adventures aboard Exit Strategy

Who: Dave and Jean
Port: San Francisco