Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

Hue

30 July 2009 | Hue
Dave and Judy
Our bus takes us to Vietnam's North. We head through a 5 km tunnel and descend the dramatic Hai Van Pass and continue through the rural country side. We pass picturesque fishing villages and then on to Hue...



file:///C:/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Picasa%20Exports/Hue/IMG_0607.jpg





Hue is the former imperial capital of Vietnam. It's the cultural and religious center of the country. There is much to see and do here but first we head to lunch at a small local cafe. This restaurant is supported by Intrepid Travel. It's run by a hearing disabled man & his family. Some of the proceeds go to help within the hearing impaired community for their welfare and education. We had a great time watching Lac Thien open beer bottles with his special invention bottle opener. (We are now the proud owner of our very own that he gave to us!) Everybody that passes through autographs the walls and ceiling. There is hardly an inch that isn't covered with names of travelers from all over the world. It was such fun to stand on top of the refrigerator and create some art work of our own there.

Next stop: The Citadel. This is the former palace of the last ruling emperor of Vietnam. We wandered around the Ancient Royal City which covers 520 hectors and is completely surrounded by a moat. Please click here for more info and some nice pics.




The next day we are off on a motor cycle tour. Everybody gets a driver and 12 bikes zoom off around the city and countryside. We had a blast stopping at various sites including the Dong Ba Market where there were fortune tellers and ....coffee! We boarded a "dragon boat" and headed down the Perfume River. A stop was made at the Thein Mu Pagoda. From here, in 1963, a monk drove their Austin car to Saigon and set himself on fire to protest the persecution of Buddhist. We both remember seeing that on TV when we were in high school. The Austin is still at the pagoda and is preserved as a reminder of those hard times.


The motor cycles were waiting to pick us up and we roared off to a monastery for lunch with Buddhist nuns. They put on a delicious vegetarian feast. This is another of the local business causes supported by Intrepid Travel. It is rewarding to travel and be able to contribute in a meaningful way straight to the working people. Good on ya Intrepid Travel.

Tonight we board a train for the 12 hour overnight ride to Hanoi.....
Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
About:
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.