Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

Tues morning ~Good Bye Andaman's

18 January 2010 | Passage to India
Dave and Judy
Guess we decided to leave a day early after Sunday. We were anchored at Henry Lawrence #7 beach enjoying the scenery, looking for the dugong or maybe the elephant that they bring down to the beach to bathe. Then, we thought we'd better not just sit there but get up to the Button Islands where our friends on "The Southern Cross" said the snorkeling was so wonderful. So after the radio net we took off. Just at the entrance to the pass between the 2 Lawrence Islands (John & Henry) we were stopped by a police boat. The 4 crew raced over in the dinghy (after they finally got it going...) & wanted to all jump on board so badly. We mostly kept them on the swim steps while they told us that we had to go ALL THE WAY AROUND the top of Outram Islands (all day) cuz they were doing research???? there was poaching going on??? and the channel was off limits. We only lost an hour. So, hmm, well, then, we'll go to Neill Island instead. After a 3 hr motor/sail we arrived & launched the dinghy heading for the stunning point. Owwwww...looks like the tide is still going out & now all the bommies are sticking out along the shoreline & we can't get to the beach. OK, then we'll go around to the other side of the point. Oh, that's totally exposed reef all the way to the very end of the island. Well, so, we'll give that beach landing another try. Motor 1/2 up & judy ready to leap out & pull the dinghy up through the rocks when the dinghy hit a bommie & threw the dinghy to the other side launching you know who ~ face first into the water. Super hero Dave's first reaction was to karate chop hold her ankles & not let go of the motor either at the same time. Now, which one to let go of? That sorta kept her head under because she went over past the waist. Oh, if only there was a 3rd hand for a camera. Somehow i, judy, managed to push myself back up out of the water & back into the dinghy even though i was straight legged. I'm not sure how i managed to not hit my head or knock my teeth out during the maneuver as there was so many huge boulders, coral, rocks. My only tradegy was i was soaked. We tried one more time & gave up. That sort of ended it for Dave. He was ready to leave & get on with the next phase of adventure as he was told there was surf there at Neill but he didn't see that happening either. We were underway by 5:30 yesterday morning for our 3 hr motor/sail to Port Blair for the check-out procedures. Now, that's the real excitement. We split up & judy did the provisioning & Dave the diesel & formalities. We were able to have lunch with our trusty taxi drivers Ravi & Sateeah while meeting up with Dream Chaser. New friends from the Bay Area. We were back aboard at sunset, just in time to start battening down those hatches & get the "overnight bag" packed & at the ready. Immigration met us at the dock this morning at 6AM to stamp us out & next stop ~ weather permitting ~ Cochin India. Hopefully 8-10 days. What an experience Port Blair had for us. It is chaotic ballet, animals (mostly cows & goats) of all shapes & sizes all along the streets munching (why do they like garbage more than the grass???), horns honking, TukTuk's scurrying, motorcycles getting the edge & our "plush" Ambassador's ploughing through the middle. The women are eye candy with their luscious colorful Sari's & Punjabi's with rich thick jet black hair. Mullah's are calling to prayer, Indian music is blasting in the background. Tiny businesses line the street on both sides with all manner of "stuff". It's a heady experience for sure. Wonder what the next stop will be like?
Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
About:
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.