Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

Checkin' in

25 March 2010 | Eritrea, Africa
Dave n Judy
Last night we reported to Quarantine and Customs offices as requested by "Port Control" upon our arrival. We were issued gate passes to leave the port area for a few hours. The process seemed simple and straight forward. Tomorrow ...we report to Immigration, they open at 7am.

Massawa is a city in ruins. The country is at peace now after 30 years of devastating war. Most of the buildings have irreparable damage. Some have been completely devastated by bombing. The city is literally falling down....turning to dust. We found ourselves at a little cafe drinking coffee and tea. The owner, Mike, changed our money to local currency. (back room, black market) .
War Torn Eritrea

This morning we reported to Immigration to turn in our gate passes for visas. We want to travel to the capital city of Asmara. We paid our $80 fee. So we're free to roam the country right?? Wrong.. You have to get a permit to travel within the country. Okay, we say, where to we do that? Oh, you need to take a taxi for that. What we weren't told is that we needed a taxi and a full day of dealing with a very cumbersome bureaucracy Along with 7 other sailors we piled into the old struggling van/taxi. We arrived at the building only to find that it was the wrong building. After groping around the city we finally found the "Tourist department". It took two guys an hour to fill our forms out. They handed them back to us with a big smile.. Okay! We're free!.... No, no....You must go the the Finance department and pay the permit fee before you can have your permit stamped with the special stamp that makes you "FREE". So down the hall we go. We pay our $15 "Freedom" fee and one guy takes over 45 minutes to make our receipts in triplicate with carbon paper. We take our receipts back to the guy for the "freedom stamp". We're FREE!.......Oh no.... We don't actually have the STAMP here. You must go to another place for that. Back in the old smoking van/taxi and across town we go. We pile out and head to the door.... Guess what? There is nobody there! We hang around for a while.....Nobody shows up....Our driver walks down the street and disappears into a building... He returns with the news.... The stamp man has gone home..What now? Back in our now overheating van/taxi and down the road we go.....We park in the shade of a tree and wait in front of his house..... We wait....and wait....it's hot.... We're sitting on the curb like a bunch of lost soles. Finally a man comes out and jumps in the poor old taxi/van with us and off we go.... We arrive at the original building that we went to at the start of our search for freedom.... He takes our forms and disappears into the crumbling structure.... We wait...and wait...it's hot... we're again sitting on the curb... waiting.....Finally the man comes out smiling carrying our forms .... with the "Freedom stamps affixed"........Finally we're free...right?? Maybe.... We'll see when we head to Asmara the day after tomorrow in our poor old smoking van/taxi.... It's just a couple of hours over the mountains ..........
Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
About:
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.