Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

Tucked in

31 March 2010 | Eritrea, Africa
Dave n Judy
We sailed 8 hours to the next island. Our plan was to sail overnight to a much better anchorage where there are nice beaches and kiteboarding. We couldn't make the full distance before night fall because of head winds and strong counter currents. No other boats were here. Four guys came out in a speed boat and stepped aboard. Luckily for us one spoke some English. They were from the Eritrian navy. We quickly made friends and gave them a some goodies and a pack of cigarettes A couple of other yachts showed up a few hours later while we were on the beach. Judy scored a few shells.

This morning Dave jumped in the water and scrubbed the props while being watched by a big barracuda. We did a few chores then headed in for some hiking on the island. A three hour walk circled the island. There were many beautiful beaches, coves and mangroves. The water is stunningly clear. It blends from light turquoise to deep indigo blue. The day was bright and sunny. A trio of flamingos flew by to top things off. When we returned to the beach our navy friends were waiting for us in their camp. They invited us for tea. We sat in the small makeshift house and enjoyed the tea and conversation before returning to Freebird for some lunch and a bit of reading, it was pretty hot out! A fishing boat came in and was anchored up wind from us. We noticed that they were having difficulty pulling up their anchor.... Guess what? Yep, they snagged our anchor chain and couldn't pull up their anchor. We quickly motored up to take the tension off the chain and they managed to get clear of our chain without pulling our anchor up. It was a little scary because we came pretty close to contacting them. Everybody was happy and they dropped a fish off when they went by.

We have decided to stay here because the wind is forecast to be strong from the north for the next few days. It's now 10:00 PM and there are 11 other boats taking shelter with us. One boat turned back and sailed 20 miles to join us. Three more have come in after dark. Not a fun drill. Fortunately the almost full moon is helping with visibility. The wind has started to blow and there is a swell coming around the point. It's a little bouncy but we are "tucked in" and secure....
Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
About:
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.